TRDirt's Guide to the Best Deal: Personal Advice from a Dealer - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 270 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
re: TRDirt's Guide to the Best Deal: Personal Advice from a Dealer

Quote:
TRDirt previously said: View Post
I do have access to that. I could help if I had your zip. But they come 2 ways. Convenience and Upgrade, or Convenience and Off road. Depending on the market they order a hell of a lot more upgrade. Usually the markets where you are not near a large city.

JTEBU4BF8EK188103-Invoice @ 33109, so $100 over invoice is your price. Pretty good deal, Id go for it!
Thank you sir! I will set up a test drive of the one on the lot, but I am curious how many off-road packages are around - there does not seem to be too many in this part of new england. I really don't need all the stuff in the upgrade package, and saving a couple of thousand that I can put to mods is good too. I would take either manual or automatic transmission, and my zip is 03303. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 270 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
fjtruckin previously said: View Post
Can you tell us how much our trade in would be worth? Thanks!
That is going to be pretty hard honestly. Market on used changes dramaticly. However there are some resources that will help.

1.Autotrader.com- Gives a guarenteed number on your vehicle that the dealer HAS to honor without the hassle of going to the dealer itself untill you are ready to sell. Just make sure you are honest when entering the damages. And make sure to put notes in. These guys own KBB (literally) and have actual human being review the appraisal. I find myself being able to offer up to $1000 more than their number MAX. The FJs are usually right on the money trade in wise.

AutoTrader.com | Trade-in Marketplace | Car Trade-in and Car Values

2.Honestly **** KBB.com...but if you need a fast "BALLPARK" its ok. And try not to compare your trade in value to private party. There is a reason you get paid more to sell it private. Given the delta on FJ is larger than most. Could be worth the extra 1-3k you would get. Given you have to deal with the craigslist creepers. I would suggest private if your truck is heavily modified, aka Icon lifts,winches, etc. Dealers dont pay as much for that stuff, given the soccer mom that will buy it from the dealer wont care how well it will flex when she runs over curbs trying to park.
post #13 of 270 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

Quote:
That is going to be pretty hard honestly. Market on used changes dramaticly. However there are some resources that will help.

1.Autotrader.com- Gives a guarenteed number on your vehicle that the dealer HAS to honor without the hassle of going to the dealer itself untill you are ready to sell. Just make sure you are honest when entering the damages. And make sure to put notes in. These guys own KBB (literally) and have actual human being review the appraisal. I find myself being able to offer up to $1000 more than their number MAX. The FJs are usually right on the money trade in wise.

AutoTrader.com | Trade-in Marketplace | Car Trade-in and Car Values

2.Honestly **** KBB.com...but if you need a fast "BALLPARK" its ok. And try not to compare your trade in value to private party. There is a reason you get paid more to sell it private. Given the delta on FJ is larger than most. Could be worth the extra 1-3k you would get. Given you have to deal with the craigslist creepers. I would suggest private if your truck is heavily modified, aka Icon lifts,winches, etc. Dealers dont pay as much for that stuff, given the soccer mom that will buy it from the dealer wont care how well it will flex when she runs over curbs trying to park.

Fair enough. What number would this be?
Quote:
I find myself being able to offer up to $1000 more than their number MAX.
The KBB number or the Autotrader number?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 270 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
gojira previously said: View Post
Thank you sir! I will set up a test drive of the one on the lot, but I am curious how many off-road packages are around - there does not seem to be too many in this part of new england. I really don't need all the stuff in the upgrade package, and saving a couple of thousand that I can put to mods is good too. I would take either manual or automatic transmission, and my zip is 03303. Thanks for your help.

Toyota of Portsmouth has a 6MT quicksand, BARE BONES. No offroad , no upgrade. Just passenger armrest, rack, and convenience pkg

Manchester Toyota has one to, no rack or armrest.

Those would be your best bet for cheap. And you should be able to pick either up for under $30k
post #15 of 270 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Autotrader. KBB is about as accurate is a blind kid trying to piss standing up.

Autotrader is usually pretty strong. If I find myself wanting the vehicle because it is something I think I can sell I will step up a bit.
post #16 of 270 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Toyota of Portsmouth has a 6MT quicksand, BARE BONES. No offroad , no upgrade. Just passenger armrest, rack, and convenience pkg

Manchester Toyota has one to, no rack or armrest.

Those would be your best bet for cheap. And you should be able to pick either up for under $30k
That's excellent information - thanks!
post #17 of 270 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I do have access to that. I could help if I had your zip. But they come 2 ways. Convenience and Upgrade, or Convenience and Off road. Depending on the market they order a hell of a lot more upgrade. Usually the markets where you are not near a large city.

JTEBU4BF8EK188103-Invoice @ 33109, so $100 over invoice is your price. Pretty good deal, Id go for it!
FYI I pulled the trigger on this FJ today and it's sitting in my driveway right now - thanks again!
post #18 of 270 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

Would you mind checking this VIN #: JTEBU4BF0EK189780 ?
Took it for a test drive yesterday, dealer is asking $33,800 .

Thanks!
post #19 of 270 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Smile re: TRDirt's Guide to the Best Deal: Personal Advice from a Dealer

Quote:
Hello all!

Been with Toyota for a number of years now, finally bought my 2014 FJ "Betty" a few days back and I am proud to be a member of this forum, the passion you guys have makes doing my job that much better!

If anyone here is concerned if they are getting a good deal or not post the VIN number you are looking to buy and the price you were quoted, NO tax,reg, etc. Just the price of the vehicle. I am happy to help with info on ANY Toyota or Scion

Best wishes and Happy Trails,

Dirt
My local Toyota dealer here has a lease turn in 2010 beige/sand color FJ cruiser. Automatic, mint, fully loaded, trail team edition, no roof rack, no scratches, sliders, very clean, trd wheels/bf Goodrich tires. It has certified pre-owned 100k warranty and their own dealership Gold level warranty that is 100k bumper to bumper coverage.

Asking 26995, came down to 24350. Do you guys think that it is a good deal?
Drove nicely, shocks seemed a little soft in the rear.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated it.

Last edited by RangerNY; 03-16-2014 at 04:05 PM.
post #20 of 270 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please let me know about the invoice for JTEBU4BFXEK184537 for zip 78247 please. My wife has a 2014 Magma purchased about 1 month ago and I am considering one as well. Sticker is at $36,590 on dealer site.

Thanks,

Angry

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in