Price gouging ridiculousness - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Price gouging ridiculousness

Quote:
ruebarb previously said:
Before considering a private sale, make sure you are aware of the laws associated with your State. You don't want to get screwed if the buyer makes a claim against you.
yep, here in SoCal we are the king of Suites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:03 AM

I had the same problem this week with Toyota of Richardson in Dallas. Gave me a quote that was $3K over MSRP. They didn't even bother telling me that the $3K was just a markup. Leaving the dealership, I had the impression that it was dealer installed options, etc., that drove the price up. No wonder they had 2 black FJ's in the lot. I've never paid anything close to sticker for a car, but I am willing to do that this time because I LOVE THIS CAR!!!! I haven't been this excited about a car since I bought my RX-7 Twin Turbo back in the mid 90's!

Great to have a car I can be this excited about. I really do think it's going to get way worse before it gets better. Just think about it, there has not been an ad campaign yet and most people have not even seen one.

I saw a Hummer H3 TV ad yesterday and thought that if it was the FJ in that ad, there would be a mad rush that would be 50X greater than the interest that is out there now.

Currently, only enthusiasts know about it. In a few months, it will be the masses.

I just hope we are all ready for the roads being filled with them. I do think they are that good looking and fun to drive (and the price is dirt cheap for something with this combination of good looks, coolness, and reliability). It is even cooler than a Wrangler (which I consider getting everytime I have a new car decision), yet is reliable and much more practical as an every day driver.

Is it just me, or is it super fun to drive? I thought it was zippy and light on its feet on the test drive. Got the same feeling from it that I had with my Miata.

I'm now trying to find somethign out of town at MSRP.

Wish me luck.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

There are plenty of dealers selling at MSRP. Don't bend over for the "convenience" of buying it locally from someone who's trying to screw you!
The FJ will not be marketed en masse. It's a "niche" vehicle. Advertising is not necessary at this point, the production is not high enough to warrant it.

I still don't see Prius ads, just ads touting the Hybrid Synergy Drive. It will be released soon in the 2007 Camry.

I still feel the FJ's real purpose is to get people on the lots to see Toyota's truck offerings in anticipation of the release of the new Tundra. They's sold a lot of Tundras and Tacomas already because of this little "traffic magnet"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
alikhanh previously said:
I had the same problem this week with Toyota of Richardson in Dallas. Gave me a quote that was $3K over MSRP. They didn't even bother telling me that the $3K was just a markup. Leaving the dealership, I had the impression that it was dealer installed options, etc., that drove the price up. No wonder they had 2 black FJ's in the lot. I've never paid anything close to sticker for a car, but I am willing to do that this time because I LOVE THIS CAR!!!! I haven't been this excited about a car since I bought my RX-7 Twin Turbo back in the mid 90's!

Great to have a car I can be this excited about. I really do think it's going to get way worse before it gets better. Just think about it, there has not been an ad campaign yet and most people have not even seen one.

I saw a Hummer H3 TV ad yesterday and thought that if it was the FJ in that ad, there would be a mad rush that would be 50X greater than the interest that is out there now.

Currently, only enthusiasts know about it. In a few months, it will be the masses.

I just hope we are all ready for the roads being filled with them. I do think they are that good looking and fun to drive (and the price is dirt cheap for something with this combination of good looks, coolness, and reliability). It is even cooler than a Wrangler (which I consider getting everytime I have a new car decision), yet is reliable and much more practical as an every day driver.

Is it just me, or is it super fun to drive? I thought it was zippy and light on its feet on the test drive. Got the same feeling from it that I had with my Miata.

I'm now trying to find somethign out of town at MSRP.

Wish me luck.
I was able to get Texas Toyota (Grapevine) down to MSRP, it took two days and I had to walk out twice. I was very polite, never lost my cool and just maintained that I would buy at no more than MSRP. I said I understand why they wanted more (cause someone else is going to pay over MSRP right after I leave) and left it at that. Turned out that the dude that did offer MSRP + 3K on my rig had crappy credit and the deal fell through. Their finance department tried all kind of tricks too, get pre-approved from an outside lender first at a low rate, bring the documentation and use it as a bargaining tool to lower the TFS rate. Try Toyota of Dallas too, my buddy bought an FJ at MSRP there.

2007 FJC
1972 FJ40
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Forum Superstar

I pm'd alikhanh the same thing.

In addition to being the Parts Manager here, I am President of a local TLCA club (The Toyota Trail Riders). I got the GM to give up on the "premium" for TLCA members and offer a discount on any accessories as announced here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=89920

I think the whole thing is a Tulip craze, but it seems like the whole Metro DFW area is sucked into it. Until they stop the madness, all I can do is try to ease the pain...
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:36 AM

www.autotrader.com

Search toyota 07 FJ Cruiser.

Suprising how many used FJ's are for sale.

Some have miles on them.

And nearly most appear to be asking over MSRP.
hard to tell without seeing the invoice.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in