Price gouging ridiculousness - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Price gouging ridiculousness

Been lurking here for a while but this is my first post.

So, I'm driving to work today and as I pass a Chrysler/Jeep dealer I see they have an FJ on their used lot.
"Wow", I think, "a used FJ." "Maybe I can get a good deal on it."
As I wheel up to the building the vultures hop about excitedly and one of them flaps out to greet me.
Me - "Which version FJ is that?"
The vulture - "It's a 2007."
Me - "Really?" Not only is he a vulture, but he's also a complete moron. "Is it four wheel drive and which transmission does it have?"
He tells me it's a 4x4 with AT.
I tell him I'm not interested. I'm looking for an MT.
He asks if I want to take a look anyway.
Me - "No thanks. I've driven a couple already. By the way, how much are you guys asking for it?"
The moron vulture - "$39,000."
Me - "Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!"
Him - "What's so funny?"
Me - "Is it brand new?"
Him - "Yeah. It only has 400 miles."
Me - "That ain't brand new. That's used. It has stock wheels and tires, no roof rack, no brush guard, no lights, no nothing. Even if it's loaded with options you have it overpriced by about ten grand!"
The moron vulture - *crickets*

What the hell is that about? My local Toyo dealer as of two weeks ago was charging $3K over MSRP. This is absurd!!! When is the pricing on these things gonna level out? And who do these people think they are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 09:34 AM

Re: Price gouging ridiculousness

well, it just might take a while
if you want, you can wait
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

As the saying goes" Everything is bigger in Texas", so I guess that goes for FJ pricing too. But yea, that really sucks

How To Guides
If links are broken, please make a post in that thread.
http://rollmeover.forumer.com/forums.../How-To-Guides

RollMeOver Inclinometer Trial, Check it out
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ollMeOverTrial

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Forum Master

Lifetime Supporting Member

If you want one that bad, order one from one of the hundreds of dealers who are selling at MSRP. You may have to fly somewhere to get it, but a plane ticket is only a few hundred bucks, and as a bonus your first ride in the FJ will be a nice road trip.

But please, don't let what happened to this guy happen to you.

"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit." -- Anthony Bourdain

Promote skepticism and critical thinking. www.randi.org

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:31 AM
fka JimmyHoops

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
wise previously said:

So, I'm driving to work today and as I pass a Chrysler/Jeep dealer I see they have an FJ on their used lot.
As I wheel up to the building the vultures hop about excitedly and one of them flaps out to greet me.
Me - "Really?" Not only is he a vulture, but he's also a complete moron. "Is it four wheel drive and which transmission does it have?"
Me - "No thanks. I've driven a couple already. By the way, how much are you guys asking for it?"
Him - "What's so funny?"
Me - "Is it brand new?"
Me - "That ain't brand new. That's used. It has stock wheels and tires, no roof rack, no brush guard, no lights, no nothing. Even if it's loaded with options you have it overpriced by about ten grand!"

What the hell is that about? My local Toyo dealer as of two weeks ago was charging $3K over MSRP. This is absurd!!! When is the pricing on these things gonna level out? And who do these people think they are?
I've never heard of such absurdity...You'd think that this dealer (along with many others) thought it was a Farrari or other astronomicly priced 'super car'. Way to stick to your guns and show that you ain't no fool! I love it when you reach that moment with a sales person that they have no ability to pull the wool over your eyes.

Score:

sales vulture :0
informed consumer: 1

Have a question & need an answer? Do an "Advanced Search" and ye shall find: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...n-dummies.html

'07 FJ, VooDoo Blue, M/T6...mostly stock but beginning its metamorphosis into a expedition worthy rig.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
wise previously said:

Him - "What's so funny?"
Me - "Is it brand new?"

Yeah totally BS. But guys, the dealership is not the moron here. The moron is the person who will not research, negotiate the price down by $5K or so, and feel like the got a good deal at $5K off of asking price. This vehicle is not for you or me, but is intended for any fool that will pay for it. Tho it's wrong, this is business. Doesn't make it right, you can't justify it, just don't buy it. Just like Real estate in my eyes. The property (FJ) will sell at what ever price the market demands.

I'll even dare to say that paying over MSRP is not as stupid as it sounds. It's no different than overpaying for concert/pro game tickets. How about autograph paraphernalia? Over MSRP? After all it's just someone else' signature on an item. What makes it worth a lot more than the item itself. What someone is willing to pay right? the sentimental value of it is priceless? Same can be said for paying over MSRP. If you got the money and you don't care, it's not a dumb move.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:51 AM

I don't think we wre out of the woods yet. I just saw an FJ at a dealer in Santa Monica,CA going for 41k. I am not sure what it all had on it, but it sure looked like a regular FJ. Unless that was the 24 karat gold edition, LOL. I guess the proof will be seeing how long it's out there. If it's gone tomorrow, everyone who didn't order one yet is screwed.

Dealers Suck!!!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
JimmyHoops previously said:
I've never heard of such absurdity...You'd think that this dealer (along with many others) thought it was a Farrari or other astronomicly priced 'super car'. Way to stick to your guns and show that you ain't no fool! I love it when you reach that moment with a sales person that they have no ability to pull the wool over your eyes.

Score:

sales vulture :0
informed consumer: 1
Lustine Toyota tried the same thing, I had a quote BUT...with a wait time. I already have the financing done so the check is in hand...so I went to Lustine (original place I test drove the FJ) and they tried to offer me the exact same vehicle for $2500 more and wanted to remove options to match Kay Jennings offer which had he package and all the options I'm looking for.

I told them forget it and they said that I was probably making up the other offer so now I guess I'm a liar. I have the other offer in writing but it's not worth even showing them, I'd rather do business with someone else. Just a warning for anyone considering doing business with Lustine Toyota in Woodbridge, Va. I must say I'm extremely disappointed that they would bring such a dark light to Toyota :-(
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My Burien, WA dealer has me signed up for one- they all go MSRP, not a dime more or less- so i can be ok with that.
It irritates me they don't even know what they are selling, or study their own friggin' website. They were trying to pipeload me some smoke about how rock rails are "some lower body side molding" and "every toyota has that" and "the underside is already protected"...
What a bunch of a*shats. This was the sales manager---the salesman/boy was likely on his first day and knew even less.
We'll see what other stupidity develops as the deal progresses.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
chris410 previously said:
I told them forget it and they said that I was probably making up the other offer so now I guess I'm a liar. I have the other offer in writing but it's not worth even showing them, I'd rather do business with someone else. Just a warning for anyone considering doing business with Lustine Toyota in Woodbridge, Va. I must say I'm extremely disappointed that they would bring such a dark light to Toyota :-(
You would think Toyota would fire these types as dealers---it seems car sales have never evolved into something humane...still the carpetbagging tactics of the dark ages- it's a wonder we all put up with it at all- there must be a great deal of first timers to keep 'em going-
Great you walked away!!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in