Ordering FJ's - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to USCG_Chuck
(Thread Starter)
Ordering FJ's

There are only 3 factory options packages. The 2UP's and CQ. The balance, rock rails, rear door storage, XM, Roof Rack, etc are added at the port of entry.

When I ordered mine, (should be here on 05/10) the dealer found one headed their way in the color and factory installed options I wanted. I had XM added and the running boards taken off in favor of rock rails.

There were some items that were already slated to go on the vehicle I didn't want but it wasn't much in the way of $$ and who knows, I may even like them.

If your dealer says you can't add or change the options that appear on page 66 of the brochure, that is Bravo-Sierria. Mine was happy to do that. Took about 3 minutes in their computer...

Dealers live and die by their customer comment cards after the sale. That determines how many vehicles they are allocated. Should you be in a situation with a less that cooperative dealer, make it clear your returned customer comment card will reflect their lack of meeting your needs as a customer. Usually results in a quick attitude adjustment !

Its gonna be a shock going from a 54mpg VW TDI to an FJ but hey, you only go 'round once...

--
Chuck, Chesapeake, VA
Voodoo Blue, 4X4, AT, CQ, UR, RB, 3T, GY, 6D, 2Q, V5

Visit my FJ WWW Site

Track my FJ VIA GPS Now

My Home Location
NCBBA #5778
--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Re: Ordering FJ's

Actually Chuck there are a couple other factory options. If the AT (Model 4704) is ordered, but you do not want UP or UR, you can specify the rear differential lock, DL, for $340 (rear locker comes with UP or UR, as does ATRAC). Also, the side air curtains (GY) and running boards (RB) are factory options, but no one will have any problem finding running boards, which are bolt-ons.

Your point about customer response is a good one. In 1999 when I purchased my Landcruiser the dealer told me I would be getting a phone call from Toyota, and requested that I use the words "totally satisfied" when responding. I was able to respond just like that because the salesman and GM when the extra mile during the sale.

“Kansas Law Dog” for admiration of “Tombstone”, the movie, and the legend of Wyatt Earp.

2007 Titanium 4x4 Automatic (stock except non-factory rock rails)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 06:22 PM

Exclamation Re: Ordering FJ's

I was handed the same B.S. run around when I first went to the dealer to check them out. I haven't bought a lot model since 1987, I wasn't about do do it again now when I knew it was B.S. After a short talk.......they could order one for me. I walked anyway do to principal and ordered over the phone the same day from another dealer.

I won't pay for something I don't want or need, and I won't stand for someone who treats me with a lack of respect and a smile, and I sure as hell won't give them my money. Word of mouth is a powerful thing, it can make you or break you, some in the car business don't understand that yet. The couple of salesmen I personally know make incredible money, most from referrals, and a reputation for being straight up with their clients.
Pete

Disclaimer – This post was proceeded by a search which resulted in the lack of sufficient data to adequately satisfy my need for information. If at any time during your review of this post you find the requested or presented information contained herein redundant, and feel that it is not within your means to reply in an adult fashion, please be advised that I may find it necessary to lower myself to your level and respond in like fashion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to USCG_Chuck
(Thread Starter)

Point well taken. Actually, I simplified to the 3 option packages just to illustrate the point.

My other rant falls on the dealers who add a $5,000 "market adjustment" to the retail price or $1,000 worth of pin stripes. They're doing it because the (think) they can get it.

Quote:
Kansas Law Dog previously said:
Actually Chuck there are a couple other factory options. If the AT (Model 4704) is ordered, but you do not want UP or UR, you can specify the rear differential lock, DL, for $340 (rear locker comes with UP or UR, as does ATRAC). Also, the side air curtains (GY) and running boards (RB) are factory options, but no one will have any problem finding running boards, which are bolt-ons.

Your point about customer response is a good one. In 1999 when I purchased my Landcruiser the dealer told me I would be getting a phone call from Toyota, and requested that I use the words "totally satisfied" when responding. I was able to respond just like that because the salesman and GM when the extra mile during the sale.

--
Chuck, Chesapeake, VA
Voodoo Blue, 4X4, AT, CQ, UR, RB, 3T, GY, 6D, 2Q, V5

Visit my FJ WWW Site

Track my FJ VIA GPS Now

My Home Location
NCBBA #5778
--
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
USCG_Chuck previously said:
Its gonna be a shock going from a 54mpg VW TDI to an FJ but hey, you only go 'round once...

I am keeping my vw tdi and using it as my daily driver. ITs paid for anyway. The FJ will be my weekend and long trip vehicle.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Forum Master

Had bad experiences with a couple Dealers BS'ing me on MSRP price, Option pricing, pre-ordering options, etc. They said I had to take what came in and were randomly making up "facts" about the vehicle because they weren't familiar with it. I hope it helped them understand that all customers aren't idiots when I broke out my research package and showed them hard data that they were lying point by point.

I was just discussing this with RoverGGM a couple days ago and he confirmed what you said about comment cards and allocations (he's one of the good guys and has helped me and a lot of folks on the Forum cause he cares about Customers and Toyota's rep). Hopefully Toyota is keeping track of the dealers screwing the company's reputation by charging way over MSRP on a vehicle that's supposed to be affordable. It's sad that some of these salesman are so greedy that they'll screw their own future allocations and customer base to make a buck right now. Fortunately I also found a Dealer who was straight from the start. I had my FJ built the way I wanted in Japan and it's getting the options I want installed in Port, at MSRP.

(C.A - Hilarious Disclaimer Dude!!!)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 08:38 PM

Wink Re: Ordering FJ's

Quote:
Brian - VABeach previously said:
(C.A - Hilarious Disclaimer Dude!!!)

Disclaimer – This post was proceeded by a search which resulted in the lack of sufficient data to adequately satisfy my need for information. If at any time during your review of this post you find the requested or presented information contained herein redundant, and feel that it is not within your means to reply in an adult fashion, please be advised that I may find it necessary to lower myself to your level and respond in like fashion.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in