Fj Can Use Regular Gas... - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Fj Can Use Regular Gas...

For what it's worth my salesman told me the same thing... that it used standard 87 octane. The dealership even FILLED IT UP with 87 octane, and it seemed to knock and ping when idling in my garage (in Texas, probably around 650ft here) so I've used Premium ever since... but it still p!sses me off that they do this crap.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
JLam previously said:
Let's say regular costs $3.37/ gallon. $3.37/gallon x 2 fillups per week x 52 weeks per year = $5257/year for gas.

Say premium costs $3.57/gallon. $3.57/gallon x 2 fillups per week x 52 weeks per year = 5569/year for gas.

So if you use regular instead of premium, you save a whopping $312 per year, or $6 per week. Anyone who can afford to pay $25-30K on a car can afford an extra 6 bucks per week. If you can't, then you shouldn't be driving a $25-30K car, IMO.

I know people go back and forth on the octane debate, but I figure that Toyota's engineers are a hell of a lot smarter than I am, and they put a lot of thought into figuring out what gas to reccommend.

I'm willing to drop the extra 6 bucks per week to run the good stuff.
Well said!

And I hate folks who drive out of their way to find a cheaper gas station. We spend so much money on crap but lots of folks pinch when it comes to gas. Does not make sense.

2011 Tundra DC
1994 Land Cruiser
2000 BMW MCoup
post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Forum Regular

Do the electronics record when the knock sencors adjust to burn lower grade fuel? and can Toyota pull that data out and use it to screw with you and your warranty?
I'm going to keep running premium in mine. The cost difference is small unless you're doing a whole bunch of driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Quote:
rick_reno previously said:
Do the electronics record when the knock sencors adjust to burn lower grade fuel? and can Toyota pull that data out and use it to screw with you and your warranty?
I'm going to keep running premium in mine. The cost difference is small unless you're doing a whole bunch of driving.
Toyota issued a bulletin a few weeks back stating that the words "Use Premium Fuel Only", or something to that effect, were incorrect. You can use regular 87 octane fuel, but the FJ mileage estimates are based on 91 octane fuel. Knock sensors adjust the engine. Low octane has a tendency to ignite the fuel while the piston is still in its compression stroke, so the sensors retard the spark to compensate. This amount of spark retarding is slightly less efficient than design with 91 octane fuel. The amount of spark retarding occurs most when the engine is under heavy load (climbing a steep high, hard acceleration, or towing). Is the efficiency difference worth the 20 cents per gallon? I don't know, but personally I will burn premium, even at the risk of being flamed. I'm not saying CACresside is wrong, because this is sort of a subjective thing, but I do disagree with his position on this.

“Kansas Law Dog” for admiration of “Tombstone”, the movie, and the legend of Wyatt Earp.

2007 Titanium 4x4 Automatic (stock except non-factory rock rails)
post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Forum Regular

You can use regular gasoline if you do not get on the throttle. So for commuting, regular is fine.

Pre-detonation occurs when there is sufficient pressure and temperature in the cylinders upon compression. If you are NOT on the throttle, the throttle body will prevent the pressure build up in the cylinders because LESS air will be drawin in the engine. Recall from high school physics, PV=NRT. So yes, go ahead and drive with regular gasoline but exchange that lead right foot for a lighter one.

As has been mentioned earlier threads, the ECU also manages predetonation by retarding the ignition timing.

Last edited by haulin79; 05-22-2006 at 09:07 AM.
post #16 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:18 AM

My salesman told me that it was OK to use regular gasoline. It makes you wonder what they use to fill it up when you pick up your vehicle and they give you a full tank...

That being said, I always use premium. I generally spend $3.10 - $3.20/gallon on 93 octane. I can't find anyplace that has 91 octane anywhere! Regular gas is $2.85/gallon so it really isn't worth it to try to skimp a quarter per gallon when I spent 32K for a good vehicle. It just isn't worth it.
post #17 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I feel really bad for those of you that have to pay for your own gas.....

I buy premium every time, it makes me feel warm and a little giggly...

I wish that AZ had 93 octane gas, what a bummer....

Attilla

08' FJ 4x4
TRD SuperCharger
AFE 3" mandrel with 4" Chrome tip
TRD CAI, URD offroad pipe
Factory Rock Rails
3 1/2" Rough Country front
2" Daystar Spacer Lift rear
Body Mount Chop
285x70x17 Big O Bigfoots
Fumoto Valve
40" Light Bar
Rigid Industries Lighting
TUFF Console
2014 wheels - 7 spoke silver
(2) Pioneer Subs 10's in SubThumps
Pioneer AVIC-X940BT with backing camera
Rockford Fosgate P321 (f & r)
Scan Gauge II
9mm with 10 hollow points in pocket, 33 mag in other
post #18 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 10:31 AM

Cool Re: Fj Can Use Regular Gas...

Got this from the dealer a couple of weeks ago. I have been matching the grade of gas depending on how hard I use the rig with no pinging or problems.

Got Muck???????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Requirements FJ 02.jpg
Views:	2973
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1565  
post #19 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to Coltonworks
Arrow Re: Fj Can Use Regular Gas...

Wow, I don't feel so bad now. I am paying about $2.99 for Premium 93 octain here in NN, VA. I agree that crying about fuel cost after buying a large vehicle like an Fj just does not make sense. GO buy a Yaris...
post #20 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Forum Veteran

There are a lot of valid points here, and here is something else to think about. I don't know how true it is, but a service mgr I talked with told me, so here goes...

Yes, you have knock sensors that change your timing to help control the possible pinging when using a lower octane. Sounds great! Only problem is, that is very hard on the sensors and I hear they're very pricey to replace. Another customer was there that has had to replace them, and wouldn't tell me how much, just that I didn't want to have to replace a sensor .

I believe you can use a lower octane, but it has it's consequences...
1. Less than optimal performance and fuel economy, which will have you filling up more often anyway, possibly costing the same as using premium.
2. You might have to replace $$$$ sensors. Will Toyota know, and not cover them? Expensive chance to take.

Make 1 less trip to McD's or Starbuck's once a week, that should about cover the difference in gas. People will pay $5 for a 16oz. cup o joe, but are freakin over 10-20 cents more for a GALLON of gas that'll get you a helluva lot farther than that Big Mac, or coffee.

Let's make it simple. Take you avg # of miles per year. 13200 for me. Now divide that by mpg, lets say 17, (I've been getting 18-20). Thats 776 gals a year. Times that by .20 (.10 if comparing mid and prem), the diff between reg and prem gas. That's $155/yr. Divide that by 12, (months). $13 bucks a month for me.

I know some of you drive a lot more miles than I do. Just plug in you own mileage numbers. The stuff in the middle is tha same, and the final # will vary.

For those of you that don't figure your miles, it's probably $1.50 to $3.00 more a TANK for prem., depends on how many gals you get and what grade your using now.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in