Fj Can Use Regular Gas... - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Fj Can Use Regular Gas...

Guys, Im a mechanic. I've learned almost everything about a piston engine. Knock sensors do not die from lower rating gas. Knock sensors are always monitoring your engine. All they do is for example:

Engine: How am I doing down there?
Knock: Theres octane 92 in here, looks like you can go full potential on this one.
Engine" Great, but im only doing 30mph in a 45 zone?
Knock : Tell the jackass behind the steering wheel he's wasting his money on this higher grade octane then. Punch him out with an airbag or something.

Knocking or pinging only comes from watered down gas. If the 1GR-FE engine had a distributor to control the sparks, then i'd believe it pings. But no, the 1GR has coils. Each coil adjusts spark according from the data input from the knock sensors.

On my Cressida, when I go get a smog, I adjust the distributor to 10degrees and throw in 87 octane. Owners manual says that the 7M-GE in the Cressida requires 96 octane for maximum performance. It drives just nice with the 87 octane. After it passes smog, I then finish the full tank of gas, adjust the timing back to 18degrees and use 91 octane because I like to do alot of these. Now you jack asses that love to shuffle out an extra 20 cents a gallon for premium gas and you never rev your engine past 2000 rpm, thats your loss. As for me, as long as im not using the FJ for maximum performance, its using 87 octane.

PS, Why the FCK the knock sensors on my 2002 4Runner with 204,000 miles hasn't blew out of the engine block, or the engine pop because I used 87 octane when theres big bold print in the owners manual that says use premium?

Guys get real. Don't be so gullible. You can put sunroofs in rag top Jeeps if you wanted to. Anything is possible. You just have to pull your heads out of your asses and stop listening to people that scare you. I'd take you to politics for examples but then i'd be hijacking the thread.

87 FCKIN OCTANE IS SAFE!!!!!!!

2007 FJC - E-locked Front and Rear - Overland Bound member #12409
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

I agree with CACressida about the robust design of knock sensors. There won't be any difference to longevity of knock sensors between running 87 or 93.

CA you mentioned that your Cressida manual states 96 octane. Could that be 96 Research Octane? Today's pumps post octane at the arthimetic average of Research and Motor octane, hence, (R+M)/2. Research octane is conducted with the engine operating under little more than idle conditions and Motor octane is conducted with the engine under a loaded condition (similiar to ordinary acceleration from a stopped position on level ground). Research octane values are always higher than motor octane values. The difference between the two is known as sensitivity. It is common for sensitivity to be 8-12 octane numbers. Therefore, using a 10 octane sensitivity, 96 Research octane would be 91 (R+M)/2 octane as posted on the pump. I had a 1981 Toyota Celica Supra that used the same engine as the early Cressida's. Both were excellent vehicles.

“Kansas Law Dog” for admiration of “Tombstone”, the movie, and the legend of Wyatt Earp.

2007 Titanium 4x4 Automatic (stock except non-factory rock rails)
post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Not to derail this thread or anything, but has anyone noticed that they've never seen Kansas Law Dog and Rain Man in the same room together?

Just sayin....

Good grief man...you just seem to know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING. Where do you get all this information from? It's like you're a walking google or something.

Sorry, I've been in awe of KLD's knowledge for a while...I just needed to say that.

Back to the topic at hand now.

"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit." -- Anthony Bourdain

Promote skepticism and critical thinking. www.randi.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Kansas Law Dog previously said:
I agree with CACressida about the robust design of knock sensors. There won't be any difference to longevity of knock sensors between running 87 or 93.

CA you mentioned that your Cressida manual states 96 octane. Could that be 96 Research Octane? Today's pumps post octane at the arthimetic average of Research and Motor octane, hence, (R+M)/2. Research octane is conducted with the engine operating under little more than idle conditions and Motor octane is conducted with the engine under a loaded condition (similiar to ordinary acceleration from a stopped position on level ground). Research octane values are always higher than motor octane values. The difference between the two is known as sensitivity. It is common for sensitivity to be 8-12 octane numbers. Therefore, using a 10 octane sensitivity, 96 Research octane would be 91 (R+M)/2 octane as posted on the pump. I had a 1981 Toyota Celica Supra that used the same engine as the early Cressida's. Both were excellent vehicles.
Yes you are right. Just pointing out what the manual says VS real life to these ppl Celica Supra, aye? 5M powered straight six. Nice vehicles.

So yes people, octane 87 wont hurt you. I say go back to the salesman that said theres only 5,000 fjs being made, take off your shoe and smack him right accross the face. Case closed.

post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
JLam previously said:
Not to derail this thread or anything, but has anyone noticed that they've never seen Kansas Law Dog and Rain Man in the same room together?
OMG JLAM!!! My caramel apple empanada almost shot out my nose! Dude I am still laughin. Yer a funny sum-B

Kathie
post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Kansas Law Dog previously said:

Thanks for explaining that KLD, now I can chime in again. I work at a refinery, and no, not in the office, (although I have one with 7 different computers in it, all with different things going at once). I work in the Tank Farms. I BLEND GASOLINE! So, I'll try to make this simple. When I blend I have to run the Research and Motor knock engines. When I am blending the engines are set for a certain octane range. I change the setting depending on what octane I'm blending. My blend is tested against a known standard, and if the octane of my blend is too low, the engine/s will knock. KNOCKING IS NOT CAUSED FROM WATERED DOWN GASOLINE! It is caused from running a lower octane than an engine requires. However, if you have water in your gas, it's gonna run like dog pooh anyway, weather it spits, farts, backfires, knocks, or just won't run at all.

If you need a better explanation, ask the Rain Man

Kathie
post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Kathie - It great to have another refiner on the Forum. Two compounds define octane: 1) iso-octane (actually 2,2,4, trimethylpentane, which is 100 octane by definition), and normal heptane (straight chain C7), which is 0 octane by definition. The standards you speak of are mixtures of those two compounds, or another pure compound of known octane value approved by ASTM (American Society of Testing Materials). Just for the record, I wasn't me that said "knocking is caused from watered down gasoline".

“Kansas Law Dog” for admiration of “Tombstone”, the movie, and the legend of Wyatt Earp.

2007 Titanium 4x4 Automatic (stock except non-factory rock rails)
post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Pinging = Your trying to launch a heavy car from a dead start in 2nd gear. It pings, why? Predetonation. I am aware of this all.

Usually an engine pings if the air+fuel mixture burns before the piston makes it to the top. Predetonation is caused from one, the octane is too weak to survive max compression, two the spark happens before TDC.

post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

hey i got it...ill get the cheapest, piss filled gas out there and let you know how it runs. isnt this something like that 56th thread on this stupid topic already? no offense to any of you science geeks out there,...but c'mon already...enough is enough.
post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Forum Regular

Well, **** - I'll just run right out and get me a bucket of pine sap and make up some fuel from it. I read today that Jap cycles ran on it just after WWII, but they smoked a bit.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in