2007 or 2014 - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Re: 2007 or 2014

If this were a typical vehicle it would be simple but technical advances aside, depreciation becomes a factor.

With a slow depreciating FJ, I'd say go with the '14 if you swing the bucks. ( an '07 should be less than 1/2 the bucks of a '14 in a typical vehicle)

We bought our '13 new mainly because the used FJs were too pricey ( we had no modding plans, however)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)

You'll get a better return on investment from the 14. Plus there were issues with early 2007s. Since the 2007 is well out of warranty, if you experience any of those issues, you'll be paying out of pocket. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

However, if the 2014 doesn't have a rear locker, then it's not worth buying.
jimmy-buffett likes this.

Stock* 2013 Iceberg 6MT FJ Cruiser
*Aftermarket parts may include, but are not limited to: Ironman Foam Cell Pro Full Suspension, Demello Aluminum Rally Bumper, Engo E9000S Winch, BFG A/T KO2 34X10.5R17, Demello Tube Sliders, RCI Skids, RCI Lower Link Armor, URD Short Throw Shifter, Hella Supertones, Lifetime LED 70W Headlights, Lifetime LED 42W Roof Lights.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Chukwithak previously said: View Post
What's the deal with the motor and rear end. I do plan on creating a "crawler" out of which ever I go with.
If you're building a crawler, you want the 2014. The early FJ's had weak rear differentials and fender bulging issues that were fixed later on. They upgraded the engine in 2010, and you will find rock crawling to be much easier with an automatic transmission.

FYI, you don't have to go as new as 2014 for any of this, if price is an issue. Any 2010+ will do.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Subverto previously said: View Post
However, if the 2014 doesn't have a rear locker, then it's not worth buying.
^^^ good point. Let me amend my previous comment, "any 2010+ will do" to add "with a locker".

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Here they are

2014 Magma AT 4x4
$32k
35,000 miles
BT
Backup Camera

2007 attitude black MT 4x4
$21k
62,000 miles
A-trac
Locker
Subwoofer

Can put a pioneer head unit in it that will give what the 2014 has....

I didn't worry about the locker because I know I can put a Detroit or ARB in it (or at least think I can right?), I grew up wheeling a manual jeep. Never wheeled an automatic. Also the 325$ a month payment vs 450$ a month.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

Yes you can use an air locker, but the OEM one works really well for what it is. Plus without locker you get no ATRAC and that is also amazing to have offroad.

And the 07 is Black Diamond.

I wouldnt get THAT 14. If you dont care a bit about ripping into diffs, get the 07. You can always upgrade the gears. You may want to change the ratio anyway. They are not all made of glass...they just over-hardened some of the early 2006 build-date 07s thus making them more brittle.

use that extra monthly cash for upgrades!

BUT, since they dont make them anymore it would be best to find the newest one you can afford, but with the locker. It really is pretty damned important for offroading these things.

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners

Last edited by iwashmycar; 06-12-2015 at 12:48 PM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Garage

Ask the guys with a '07-'09 with the frame issues if they would rather have a '14. I would say the '14 since they upgraded the FRAME/motor/rear end '10+

**2010 TT**
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)

I was in the same spot recently. Ended up with a 07, 52k miles for $24k. The PO appears to have always garaged it, never took it offroad, maintenance regularly at the dealer etc. The 12/13/14 years were all well into the low/mid $30k range locally; I would rather spend the difference in price on mods, and honestly, a difference of 10 or 20 k in miles on one of these rigs is negligible in a Toyota.

I looked really hard at the 8.0 vs 8.2 rear diff issue specifically. I planned all along to re-gear, so the issue became whether the 8.0 housing with substantially inferior. Two FJ specialty shops told me that they have not seen an FJ come back with broken gears where they have been replaced with good quality 4.56's running 33"s. That was the deciding factor for me. My concern was that I might be buying the equivalent of a Jeep Wrangler with a Dana 35 rear end... but that is NOT the case ... the 8.0 is pretty decent.

If I were building a hard core rock rig, I would be putting in Dana 60's anyway (with an SAS front) so all the talk about 8.0 vs 8.2 would be equally irrelevant.

HTH
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
TRoberts previously said: View Post
Ask the guys with a '07-'09 with the frame issues if they would rather have a '14. I would say the '14 since they upgraded the FRAME/motor/rear end '10+
Frame- The OP appears to be in Roseville CA. As far as I can tell the frame issue pops up with guys dealing with road salt. The OP might be dealing with an occasional trip to Tahoe etc, but that's about it.

Motor- I drove several 07- 09's and 10-11's before I bought my 07. Honestly, I could not tell a difference in torque, despite the hp difference. Maybe its there, but it is subtle.

Rear end- see my post above.

All that said, I would have loved to have bought a 2010+, but the price difference was just not justified at least for my purposes, and I would rather spend it on mods.

HTH
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:51 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
gerry100 previously said: View Post
If this were a typical vehicle it would be simple but technical advances aside, depreciation becomes a factor.

With a slow depreciating FJ, I'd say go with the '14 if you swing the bucks. ( an '07 should be less than 1/2 the bucks of a '14 in a typical vehicle)

We bought our '13 new mainly because the used FJs were too pricey ( we had no modding plans, however)
In actual dollars or by percent? In either case, the 07 may yield a better deal as far as depreciation is concerned. The OP is indicating that he can get a 07 for $11k less than the 14. Hard to say for sure but I would imagine that most of the "heavy" depreciation is already rung out of an 8 YO vehicle. 11k is ALOT of delta in this case.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in