Toyota Sales Manager and FJ nut bar like the rest of you piping in with my two cents.
As someone already stated a dealership/stealership whatever you like to call it is not in the volunteer business they are in it for profit, that means wholesale when you sell retail when you buy...obviously. When i take a retailable vehicle like this in on trade I plan for the following:
1. Saftey Costs (unknown so you need to plan for the worst 600-1000)
2. Detail Costs (service department will charge the sales department 200-300)
3. CPO costs including registration costs (Toyota is very strict on what does and doesnt pass CPO standards 300-500)
4. Reconditioning (dings, dents, scratches a truck like this has to be sold close to perfect to ask top market value 500-1000)
5. Profit (on average we want to make 2500 on a truck like this)
6. Negotiating Room (I plan on someone trying to negotiate with me at least 1000)
After all said and done if it is a 35k retail truck than fair trade value should be about 29900 using the low end estimate on everything. That is IF this is a 35k truck. If not use the same formula to determine acceptable trade value.
I'll leave my head here
so it can be bashed.