Dealer low ball! - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: Dealer low ball!

Quote:
bowa41sm previously said: View Post
When they tell you $26,000 is as high as they're allowed to go you can. This dealership is a no hassle dealership meaning no negotiations are allowed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
ALL dealerships will negotiate... I bought my FJ from a "no hassle" dealership and negotiated for 6+ hours. Kept the sales guy until 10:30 pm. I even ordered a pizza there for dinner!

2007 Silver FJ
All Weather Mats
N-Fab Light bar
4 ProComp 8" 130 lights
Full RCI skid plate package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 02:27 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
cruisernoob previously said: View Post
Toyota Sales Manager and FJ nut bar like the rest of you piping in with my two cents.

As someone already stated a dealership/stealership whatever you like to call it is not in the volunteer business they are in it for profit, that means wholesale when you sell retail when you buy...obviously. When i take a retailable vehicle like this in on trade I plan for the following:

1. Saftey Costs (unknown so you need to plan for the worst 600-1000)
2. Detail Costs (service department will charge the sales department 200-300)
3. CPO costs including registration costs (Toyota is very strict on what does and doesnt pass CPO standards 300-500)
4. Reconditioning (dings, dents, scratches a truck like this has to be sold close to perfect to ask top market value 500-1000)
5. Profit (on average we want to make 2500 on a truck like this)
6. Negotiating Room (I plan on someone trying to negotiate with me at least 1000)

After all said and done if it is a 35k retail truck than fair trade value should be about 29900 using the low end estimate on everything. That is IF this is a 35k truck. If not use the same formula to determine acceptable trade value.

I'll leave my head here so it can be bashed.
No doubt you make an excellent point here. Dealerships are a business and you need profits of some sort to keep the lights on. The great thing is the OP can and did leave to go elsewhere. It ultimately doesn't matter what any of us think. Even if he had taken the $26K, whether it was low or fair, as long has he thought he got a decent deal is what matters.
cruisernoob likes this.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Garage

Even if you get 32 for your FJ you're still 20 short on the 1794. Just me, but I don't think a Tundra is worth 52.
algonaman and Fred Smedley like this.

2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black
AT 4x4 w/ CRAWL. Kenwood eXcelon HU w/German Maestro Sound "Life is a beach"

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered." George Best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Voight Kampff previously said: View Post
I think the real issue is the BS story.
X2.. i hate when they treat you like a dumb azz. And for some, they are taking advantage of people. This is one market that will probably benefit from AI.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
CHJLJR1 previously said: View Post
No doubt you make an excellent point here. Dealerships are a business and you need profits of some sort to keep the lights on. The great thing is the OP can and did leave to go elsewhere. It ultimately doesn't matter what any of us think. Even if he had taken the $26K, whether it was low or fair, as long has he thought he got a decent deal is what matters.
you nailed that. a deal is perception good or bad.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

I happen to be in the car industry and unfortunately this is more of the same typical bull **** practices that dealerships still do. I sell cars at Porsche of Nashville and we would NEVER treat someone that way. Although, obviously a customer cannot get trade-in what they think they can get in a private sale. It is also patently false what that dealer said about FJs being a liability. We just had a 2011 TT FJ traded in and it sold before it was even done for the lot. I realize FJs don't sell the same across different markets but they are generally acknowledged to be very good merchandise, especially a TT. Sorry for the bad luck. It is appalling what so many dealers do-they earn every bit of the scumbag reputation the car industry is known for. I feel a great sense of pride selling the brand I do, but I am 100% confident it wouldn't matter where I worked, I would never BS people the way some of these slimy sales managers and sales reps do. All to make a quick buck...sorry for the rant.

cruisernoob and Docshipley like this.

"When you're going through hell, don't stop." - Dr. Foster

2011 Iceberg 4WD AT - Storm Trooper
TRD Package/Convenience Package
Bilstein 5100s front/rear
Pro Comp 2" Rear Coils
Toytec 1/4" Spacer/OME 10mm Rear Trim Spacer
A-TRAC/RR DIFF LOCK
Dash Pod Cluster
Black TRD Wheels/TRD Black Out Kit
OEM Roof Rack
General Grabber AT2 285/75/16
K&N Air Filter

Last edited by FJ-Forbes; 02-02-2016 at 10:06 PM.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

As a side note, I think the future of the car industry will go the way of Tesla-you walk in, you are greeted by a salaried product demonstrator who works for the manufacturer (like Tesla), you drive the vehicle, go home and build and order it, it shows up at your house or the dealership and you know what you'll buy it for so no haggling and no pressure selling. This couldn't come fast enough. Unfortunately it will eliminate many jobs in the industry long term but the writing is on the wall.
algonaman and SuperSiick like this.

"When you're going through hell, don't stop." - Dr. Foster

2011 Iceberg 4WD AT - Storm Trooper
TRD Package/Convenience Package
Bilstein 5100s front/rear
Pro Comp 2" Rear Coils
Toytec 1/4" Spacer/OME 10mm Rear Trim Spacer
A-TRAC/RR DIFF LOCK
Dash Pod Cluster
Black TRD Wheels/TRD Black Out Kit
OEM Roof Rack
General Grabber AT2 285/75/16
K&N Air Filter

post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 12:26 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Garage

I have made friends out of the sales guys at my dealership, so when we were looking at trading a GX470 for. 4Runner. He actually told me they want a 5k gap between the trade in, and what they will sell it for. We ended up not trading it, but it was nice not having to deal with any BS.

They stopped asking if I want to sell the fj, because basically everyone at the dealer knows that I won't.... Haha

Cheers

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2010 Iceberg AT
Custom Tube Bumper
315/75r16
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 05:42 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)

Long story short, your RRTT is a retail type vehicle and you should sell it yourself, then armed with the cash, work your best deal with a couple of Toyota Stores.
If you don't want to do that work, let the dealer do it for you and take their price- they will gladly do it for you, for a profit and sell you a new Tundra!
If you expect them to do that for you, you have to allow them to make $$ doing it!!....gm
FJ-Forbes and smoking_rubber like this.

TLCA # 20795
2018 Lexus LX570
2018 Jeep JK Rubicon Recon
2014 FJ TTUE- 1 of 2500
1994 Mustang Cobra Indy Pace Car Convertible 5.0 (Stock)
1986 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab Longbed 5.0 (Stock)
1982 Jeep CJ7 Limited Edition (Stock)
1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo Convertible (Stock)
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
gaylonw previously said: View Post
Long story short, your RRTT is a retail type vehicle and you should sell it yourself, then armed with the cash, work your best deal with a couple of Toyota Stores.
If you don't want to do that work, let the dealer do it for you and take their price- they will gladly do it for you, for a profit and sell you a new Tundra!
If you expect them to do that for you, you have to allow them to make $$ doing it!!....gm
Exactly! I hate haggling with dealers but I usually DO trade in vehicles. I don't want to go through the process of selling it myself. But I know that I'm leaving money on the table...
gaylonw likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in