Salespeople and Dealers - Opinions or Sale Please! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Salespeople and Dealers - Opinions or Sale Please!

I'm posting this for two reasons:

1. I am hoping for opinions from dealer representatives on how they would react to receiving something like this by email - to [email protected]<insertdealerdomainhere>.com ... would you think "this isn't the kind of buyer I want to pursue because I am looking for less work/easier upsale or "sellability" in my buyers ("laydowns" or "suckers"?), or "I am looking for someone who doesn't come across so knowledgeable and insistent"

2. You never know, a salesperson or dealer may want my business and have (or can get) what I need and would love to help me.

I am getting some early reponses where it seems the salesperson doesn't even read what I went through the trouble to "spec out". I am getting other responses proposing vehicles that just won't fit my needs/wants due to inventory issues.

Anyway, here is what I am getting ready to mail out to more dealers in the Nashville, TN, Charlotte, NC, and Roanoke, VA areas. Seriously, please let me know what you think.

------------------

Vehicle Request (Updated)

Please note these changes to my original request:

1. Added the 5-speed automatic transmission model as a consideration
2. Removed the Black Diamond and Cherry Pearl color choices as considerations
3. Added percentage degree of interest to certain items
4. I have begun communicating my request to dealers in the area of Knoxville, TN and Roanoke, VA – outside of the “SET” distribution area.

-----

Hi,

I am in the market for an FJ Cruiser. I have created a list of my needs and wants below. Both lists, and all items listed within those lists, are in order of preference. I plan to buy the vehicle when I find a dealer that has what I am looking for.

NEEDS:
2007 FJ Cruiser 4x4 MT (70% preferred by me)
2007 FJ Cruiser 4x4 AT (30% preferred by me)
Convenience Package

WANTS:
Color Choices –
1. Titanium Metallic (90% preferred by me)
2. Voodoo Blue (10% preferred by me)
Tow Hitch
Upgrade Packages -
1. Upgrade Package #2 for MT (90% preferred by me)
2. Upgrade Package #1 for MT (10% preferred by me)
Window Tint

If there is a delay in delivery due to lack of availability of certain “WANTS” options, I would consider vehicle configurations that are reasonably close to my WANTS. For instance, if a vehicle became available containing everything listed above but Window Tint, I would give serious consideration to buying that vehicle and have aftermarket parts acquired and/or services performed after the sale. I am not interested in the Sun Fusion color choice at all.

My “NEEDS” are not negotiable.

I am not interested in any vehicles priced above MSRP. I am also not interested in buying any vehicle where I am charged for un-requested items like “Toyoguard Plus Protection”, etc. I realize that some dealerships point to SET as the origin of the Toyoguard Plus Protection add-ons stating that “all vehicles coming from SET have this added and it cannot be removed”, but I have been seeing FJ Cruisers in inventory here in the southeast region (North Atlanta Area) without the additional “junk” fees on the invoices.

I am definitely not interested in tire and wheel packages like “16"Machine Cut AL BFAT Wheels & Tires-WY50” because if I was going to be invoiced $1,599 for upgrading from stock black steel wheels to something else, I would be looking to the Upgrade Package #2 for MT or Upgrade Package #1 for MT for an upgrade in wheels/tires.

I would be interested in your financing options, providing for a 20%-30% down payment. I have excellent credit. I am NOT interested in any lease options/programs. I am also only interested in purchasing from a dealer with the lowest priced and/or most inclusive vehicle at or below MSRP. For instance, my research has found that other buyers (approximately 39%) are paying on average (as of this writing) $1 to $1000 below MSRP lately (see https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ults&pollid=49 for survey results). If a vehicle has additional items included (like floor mats, rear door storage, cargo cover, passenger arm rest, rock rails, spare tire cover, side curtain airbags, wheel locks, etc.), and a dealer opts to NOT invoice for them, those monetary considerations will be given to pricing at or below MSRP in comparing dealer offerings. A dealer may also opt to remove such items from the vehicle (spare tire cover, floor mats, etc.), if possible and without causing damage or permanent alteration to the vehicle. Consideration will also be given for any promotional items/offerings.

Additional Requirements:

- Vehicle is to be delivered at the time of purchase with no more than 10 miles on the odometer (negotiable for dealers outside of the Atlanta area).

- No dealer nameplates are to be installed on the vehicle other than one (1) dealer license plate, installed in the normal license plate location, or one (1) vinyl graphic sticker on the rear door or bumper location of the vehicle.

- No last minute additional “dealer fee” surprises at the time of closing the sale, or no deal.

- Ample opportunity to inspect the vehicle to my satisfaction prior to the sale and delivery of the vehicle.

Additions Requests:

- Vehicle delivered at the time of sale with the fuel tank full of unleaded fuel.

I do not mind waiting for the right vehicle and “deal” to be presented/found. I will consider North Atlanta area dealers as the priority in the near term, but I will be traveling to and from Indianapolis, IN in the next couple of weeks as well as the Southwestern Virginia area thereafter and would entertain opportunities with dealers in and on the way to and from those locations IF I cannot find what I need locally.

Here is my contact information:

Bobby removed
Phone: memoved
Cell: removed

Taking calls from 8am to 8pm any day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Salespeople and Dealers - Opinions or Sale Please!

My experience with Toyota has been they essentially will move on to an easy sale unless you pester them with a couple of personal dealer visits and plonk down some cash.

Best of luck.

But people are paying premiums on these things, so a compromise may be in order.

This forum has some good guys from dealerships that move a lot of FJCs (instead of seeing one a month) so hopefully they will give you better input than the locals.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

My opinion: (worth exactly what it costs ya)

I work for one of the top ranked internet sales departments for the 50th largest Toyota dealership in the US and would be glad to communicate about the internet purchase process with anyone interested.

If you see a salesperson "moving on to an easier sale" It's most definitely a "floor salesperson", not an internet salesperson (unless he's a piece of crap) The regular "floor salespeople" hate the FJ, cause we don't have any to sell, and it has no immediate gratification for them....plus FJ customers ask a lotta questions about 'em, so you really should know your stuff if you are gonna present this vehicle to a guest. No salesperson wants to be made to feel like an idiot, and a lot of the folks interested in it, have studied this thing till they dream about it.

You do not have to buy from an un-informed dolt.....you can submit your request through a lot of internet sites like cars.com, msn autos, kbb, edmunds, etc. and put in the zipcode where you want the dealership located. It will automatically submit your request or you can do the same on www.toyota.com and go to build and price your new FJ. Toyota forwards the contact information you submit to the dealerships you select.

Most of our internet guests like the tranparency of the transaction, having a contact they "know" at the dealership before you ever set foot on their pavement, and having a clear written record of all correspondence.

It is a comfortable, "gentlemanly" way to do the auto business
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Well thanks for that because you sum up well the way I wish to do this, smart, efficient and without being taken through the "floor" sales machine... it always just winds up irritating me. I don't need a TO, I don't need a finance guy trying to juice me for more at the very end, I don't need a squeez play when it is time to pick up a vehicle I have anticipated and plan to drive home only to find, oddly enough, that it doesn't match the configuration we agreed to (in the dealers monetary favor), the list goes on and on.

I don't need to be sold, I need a reasonable deal on the vehicle that most closely matches my specs. I can do your financing, I can do mine - or I can pay cash... whatever.

personally, I wish they would do away with the "used car salesman" aspect of car buying... especially in this day and age.

My biggest problem locally is these damn tire and wheel options they are throwing on these things for $1,600 and $1,700. I don't like the look and if I was going to spend the money I -> I <- will pick out my rims... yet they won't run it back into the shop, whip out an impact wrench and slap on an original set of black steels to get the deal done. <sigh>

Then there is the whole "Toyoguard Plus Protection" thing... rediculous. I have begun looking a little north (TN, VA) for a vehicle just to escape the influence of Southeastern Toyota Distributors, LLC. (http://www.jmfamily.com) add-ons.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and insight - and if you know anyone that wants to help me with a vehicle, please let me know. I mean I am not going to CA or CO or anything like that, but maybe there is something fairly close that will workout.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
BobbyNGa previously said:

Then there is the whole "Toyoguard Plus Protection" thing... rediculous. I have begun looking a little north (TN, VA) for a vehicle just to escape the influence of Southeastern Toyota Distributors, LLC. (http://www.jmfamily.com) add-ons.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and insight - and if you know anyone that wants to help me with a vehicle, please let me know. I mean I am not going to CA or CO or anything like that, but maybe there is something fairly close that will workout.
You know I'm in Nashville right.......We are not under the SET rule.'

I hear that TOYOGARD PLUS makes 'em meteorproof, like the Tacomas

I am prevented from spamming on the forum.......wink wink...nudge nudge
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

well, I JUST wrote a dealership in Nashville... (before reading your post)

I went to toyota.com and when through the "President's Cabinet" of dealers...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Forum Superstar

I polished that cabinet last month with a 97.5 sales satisfaction index ranking J/K
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Well, maybe we can talk tomorrow morning or something. I submitted my online form about 9:15pm to Beaman.

You probably have a pretty good idea of what I am looking for here too.

Thanks,
Bobby

Nashville is about 4 hours from me - I think.

PS - I submitted interest in Stock #: 0007TK40

Last edited by BobbyNGa; 06-15-2006 at 08:19 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
BobbyNGa previously said:
Nashville is about 4 hours from me - I think.

PS - I submitted interest in Stock #: 0007TK40

Hey, thats the one I wanted . . . My titanium FJ!!!

Voodoo AT CQ UR Flux Capacitor GY Hyperdrive CF S0(black) Exp1 sliders
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Better run get it, then. Nothing like "situation urgency" to get you the best deal

Besides, I thought you had a black and white one with police lights? lol

Last edited by BobbyNGa; 06-16-2006 at 04:31 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in