Newbie to FJ Forum with interesting dealer experience - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Newbie to FJ Forum with interesting dealer experience

There are some products that strike a gearhead so hard that it forces a logical person to do take illogical action:
1. Purchase a vehicle sight unseen
2. Pay MSRP
3. Beg a car dealer to take your money

There have been only 3 vehicles that made froth at the mouth, run to the dealer and purchase under the aforementioned conditions: Porsche Boxster (when it first came out in 97), Triumph SpeedTriple (first model - 1995) and now the FJ.

Here is my story:

I know the owner of a very large Toyota dealership so I promtly drive down there to put my deposit money down under the pretense that my connection will get me somewhere (it has in the past). The fleet manager informs me that I would me number 25 on the list and that they are NOT taking any deposits! He also informs me that 3 of his sales managers and staff are on that list. There is a strong chance that the reason for not taking the deposit is that they intend to sell the FJ's for over sticker. I guess connections don't mean squat when you have a vehicle you can sell over MSRP.

Still not discouraged, I implement plan B: hit all the smaller Toyota dealerships in small towns in and around Houston in hopes of getting MSRP. I drive 40 miles out of the way after a very nice conversation with the fleet manager about MSRP pricing for the FJ. When I get there they inform me that they intend to sell the first FJ for $5000 OVER MSRP?!! They had the nerve to ask me if I was still interested; I promotely tore my deposit check in front of his face.

I finally locate 2 dealers who do not play the MSRP+ pricing for high demand vehicles. I dropped off the deposit checks and pray that I get my FJ in 2006!

Toyota is only making 46,000 FJ's with the capacity to expand to 60,000 (still only 42 per dealer per year). Either I'm nuts to drive over 130 miles in one day so that I can give my money to a dealer or I'm becoming a true FJ enthusiast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Re: Newbie to FJ Forum with interesting dealer experience

and welcome. Triumph Speed Triple huh, I like you already.

TLCA#15587
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Forum Superstar

You're an enthusiast - I will be driving 4 and a half hours to get mine! Our local dealers tried the bend em' over and screw with no reach around technique - I didn't like it and went with a guy who guaranteed MSRP in California!

I might like this thing, but not enough to get THAT screwed. Hell, I feel screwed enough paying msrp. Should be invoice if you ask me!

2006 Tacoma Access Cab 4.0ltr V6 TRD Offroad, 6 Speed Manly-man-mandingoness
"Too close for missiles, switching to guns."
Member #13 - no matter what that thing says.

couchsniper.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Forum Veteran

Here, three dealers was in competition to sale me their No 1 and I chose the one with the best offer for my used vehicle!!!!

Other country, other story…

[I]Darth Cruser, Warn Rear & front bumper + 9.5ti, MTZ 33 x 12.5 /17 and the fantastic King shocks kit!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Percy previously said:
You're an enthusiast - I will be driving 4 and a half hours to get mine! Our local dealers tried the bend em' over and screw with no reach around technique - I didn't like it and went with a guy who guaranteed MSRP in California!

I might like this thing, but not enough to get THAT screwed. Hell, I feel screwed enough paying msrp. Should be invoice if you ask me!
Percy,

I absolutely agree with you. Here is the reason why I can not wait. I am trading in my 99 Mercedes SLK230 - engineered on "free beer" Thursday and assembled with a severe hangover on Friday. I "inherited" this sad excuse for German engineering because my wife could not drive stick so we sold my Porsche and kept the MB (the joys of getting married).

I can't wait to get rid of it! It feels like wearing the same dirty underwear over and over again every time drive the car. The car is mildly retarded (excuse me - "special"); there is a delay whenever you ask the car to do anything. For example, you push the accelerator waiting for the tranny to kick into gear but it waits....thinks about it....scratches itself and then kicks it into a lower gear. Novocain steering, suspension that wallows and brakes that reminds me of the Flintstone car.

Bye bye chick car and hello FJ!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
wakesurfboy previously said:
Here, three dealers was in competition to sale me their No 1 and I chose the one with the best offer for my used vehicle!!!!
So, a dealer is willling to buy your current auto if/when a new cruiser comes in some months from now?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:25 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bostonian1976
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
MillenniumToyota previously said:
We will be selling the car subject to MSRP. We are taking deposots for orders...
We can deliver the car. If not picking up car here at Millennium, Purchaser pays Shipping

WE are NYS largest toyota dealer
Call our Internet Director Josh at 516-485-1400 or email him at [email protected]

mods, this guy might need to be banned.....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
granger previously said:
and welcome. Triumph Speed Triple huh, I like you already.
Hey Granger do you ride? My current bike is a BMW R1150R Rockster; thinking about getting a second bike because of the mrs. More a laid back fat cruiser rather than a 'bahn burner.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:39 PM

When I first looked for my FJ the local dealer (and 4 others not local) wanted to not give me crap for a trade in and not discount the FJ because it was new and they just werent making any money on them, bull****! After the 5th call I made to a dealer 50 miles away they were getting in the color I wanted, had the package I wanted, didn't sell me extras or make me pay some stupid documentation fee, gave me a better trade in, and discounted the FJ on top of it! My advice is that even though the dealer says to you "Oh we just don't discount these, or we only get one or two in" they are full of crap and if you don't buy it from them the next person will. Take your time and call around to different dealers and eventually you will find what you want and get a good price. Don't pay over retail for it though, even though it is super cool and you can't wait like me. It paid off for me to wait and I only had to wait an extra week. I love the FJ by the way
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:57 PM

In Trenton NJ at Lawrence Toyota they have a bunch of FJ's in stock ready to drive home. A couple black, few blue, mostly yellow, and maybe a silver. If you buy one tell them Chuck in parts sent you

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in