To crawl or not to crawl? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
To crawl or not to crawl?

Howdy. First time poster and soon to be FJ owner. Am looking at 3 different FJs, all priced within a couple hundred bucks.
All same to have the TRD stuff, if I'm understanding it correctly : Atrac, Diff Lock, Bilstein shocks

2012 Army Green 38K miles, JBL, New Mickey Thompson wheels and tires, Clarion Navigation/Backup camera, No crawler

2013 Iceberg 79k miles, JBL, Backup in rearview, Crawler

2014 Army Green 72K miles, No JBL, Backup rearview mirror, Crawler Free Lifetime, Unlimited mile Nationwide warranty

Main question I need answered surrounds the use of the crawler function. Which of the above packages would you advise for the southeastern USA with an occasional snow and some light off roading in muddy conditions?

Thanks in advance for all responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 05:16 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: To crawl or not to crawl?

If they are all that close in price, Id go with the 12. Has the lowest miles and differences between 12-14 are minimal. You can live without crawl... 4LO and 1st gear will get you the same result.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 06:51 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage

I agree with @Joabmc . Go for low miles, I think you will be keeping it for a while. Don't let CRAWL be a deal breaker. I've only used it a few times, and that was years ago.
Thorn661, jamesepoop and dukeyjoe like this.

Alan
- Primer at Imogene Pass 13,114'
2013 TT SE
BMC / Exp-1 Rear Bumper with Swing Arm / PIAA 5190's front, and rear bumpers / King Rear Rem Res W/Ride Cntrl / MT lower links / ICON Front Extended Travel Coil Overs / TC UCA's / SCS F-5 wheels / 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs / Shrockworks Front Bumper / Warn 9.5xp / sPOD / Kenwood DNX890HD / Lots of RAAMaudio sound deadening / WickedCAS PODS / Focal PC 165's / Focal IC 690's / Arc Audio Black 10V2 / JL Audio HD900/5 / All Pro HD Sliders and Al IFS Skid Plate / ARB CKMTA12 / Rear SCUBA / Hella Supertones / Dirty Deeds Hi Tuck Tailpipe / FJToymanOffroad Skids / Redline Skids / I seem to have run out of characters...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:37 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Garage

Listen to em they got it right, go low miles and forget about CC for now. You can buy the parts and add crawl control for chump change anyway, there are great threads on here providing ever drop of info needed for that mod since all you need is the hardware, the computer already has the programming loaded in the later models.

Rock on dude and welcome to our addiction!!!
jamesepoop and dukeyjoe like this.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for your response, Joabmc, Primer, Thorn 661. Got to admit, it was what I was wanting to hear. This 2012 is at a local dealer and they are willing to sell me a 5 yr./ and added 100,000 mile extended comprehensive warranty at their cost to consummate the deal. I can wait and purchase that later, if purchased before a certain, unknown @ present, mileage cut-off. I'll find out what that cut-off is tomorrow.
Thorn661 and jamesepoop like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)

I don't think the 2012's have that darn air injection for emission control... If that is correct, I say get the 2012 for less emission garbage on the engine... Plus, I totally agree that the CC is not that important. It is nice to use during a hill abort (Backing down a steep hill) but that is about all it is good for... IMHO

Welcome to the forum and good luck!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:24 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Garage

Agree with all said, I'd buy the '12. I bought new so went for Crawl because I could though hard to find one as more common option was the Upgrade package. The cars with Crawl did also get upgraded suspension, Bilsteins but forfeited the JBL, leather wheel, colour coded interior panels and a few other things. No brainer to go with the lowest miles if everything else adds up.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:33 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

With all other things being equal, I'd go for 12 with lower mileage, IF using VIN for CarFax, AutoChek, AND using VIN to check Toyota db for service, warranty; and recall history, Sounds like "aftermarket", not Toyota factory extended warranty due to age of vehicle, not
mileage? Be wary, most non factory extended warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on! Also, have also purchased Toyota extended warranties on all Toyota's I've purchased, as I run out of time before I run out of mileage, as my current 2011 TT only has 22,600 miles and almost 7 years old. I received a 40% discount off list for Toyota warranties, so after market markups can be expected to be considerably higher, so read thoroughly and be very careful!

Good Luck!
FatJohnson likes this.

busterfuzz
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for all replies. This site is going to be a great source. Was not aware of the changes in air injection/emissions on these FJs. Good to know. When wife wanted a new tractor, I insisted on a Tier 3.
FatJohnson likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Garage

I personally love Crawl. I'm at the beach quite frequently and Crawl has saved me the misery of digging more than a few times. The effect of Crawl can NOT be duplicated by 4LO. A-Track comes close, but it's much more violent on the brakes and suspension. If you find yourself stuck in the sand or in the snow, you'll appreciate the magic of Crawl. For every day 4 wheeling, it's not very useful though.

If you live near the sand dunes, I'd say get Crawl. If you're just running BLM trails and dragging your boat out of the water, get the newest FJ with the least miles.

Don't let the JBL stereo sway you either way. Both, JBL and non-JBL stereo systems SUCK! You're far better off going with an after market double-dinn deck in ANY of the models you've listed.

Here's a video of Crawl getting my FJ unstuck while I'm not even in the drivers seat.

2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black
AT 4x4 w/ CRAWL. Kenwood eXcelon HU w/German Maestro Sound "Life is a beach"

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered." George Best

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in