Frame rust.... Is this worth it? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kitzir
  • 1 Post By cliffy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Frame rust.... Is this worth it?

Hi everyone!! I apologize if this ends up being long, wanted to give you some background on us before discussing the question I have.

I'm looking at a decently modded '07 manual FJC. It's originally from Virginia Beach, definitely a surfers rig. I'm from the DC area, decent rust belt area. My fiance has built up a rock crawler 4Runner and Tacoma. (One small reason, other than the fact I've always wanted one, I'm getting the FJ is to tow the 4Runner to meets as it's not street legal.) The Tacoma is first gen and had the frame replaced under the recall. Needless to say he's very familiar with Toyota frame rust but he's never had his hands on an FJ.

We went to the dealership yesterday and we banged on everything! Most of the frame looks great, standard surface rust you'd expect on this year being where it's from... except for one spot. Under the passenger seat area there's about a three inch spot of considerable rot. Possibly a hole but smaller than the tip of my pinky finger. Based on my fiances experience with the Tacoma he gives it 3-5 years before he'll have to do something about it.

They are asking 13k, fairly typical for my area and has all new brakes, great looking diffs, new Goodyear tires, I really can't say anything negative about the rest of this vehicle. I Wasn't able to get a good picture of the rust spot.

What do you guys think? Anyone from this rust belt area that can give us an idea of time this will get drastically worse? Thanks so much in advance. I can't wait to join the ranks here as an owner not just an obsessed fan!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E0B406D-7C7A-46C6-95C0-C8864D68A74D_1525600684555.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	1037322   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEE2CA6E-0990-4312-9A28-ED6B7A3D58BD_1525600772767.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	1037330  
amaclach likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 05:59 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2882 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Frame rust.... Is this worth it?

Time to do the teeth suck over the rust in that patch...
Can you get one of those fibre optic things inside the frame to have a decent look in there?
Give it a decent look and see if you can clean the rust up and patch the frame.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 08:36 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Frame rust.... Is this worth it?

Hard to say without seeing it. If you do get it don't wait 3-5 yrs, grind it out and clean up/ treat the rest of the frame right away. Even if the rust turns out to be minor use it to it's full potential in your buying negotiations to get a better deal. Don't worry about the dealer... They won't sell it if they aren't making money.
amaclach likes this.

Dec 2017 member of the month

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in