High mileage should I buy? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Winterpeg
  • 2 Post By Zur
  • 1 Post By Sanderhawk
  • 1 Post By busterfuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
High mileage should I buy?

I'm new to the forums, and I'm looking to buy an FJ. I have a tight budget, and the ones that fit in my budget are in the high 100,000 mile range. I've always wanted an FJ, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to still buy one even if it has 170,000 miles on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 02:40 PM
Admin

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2399 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: High mileage should I buy?

The typical answer you'll get here is.... "it's a Toyota it will last"

Whatever you decide to get, have someone you trust to give it a good once-over... perhaps even pay a separate garage to do a safety inspection on it.
At the very least it will give you a good idea as to how it has been maintained and what upcoming costs you will be seeing within the year (brakes, etc).
Thorn661 likes this.

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 02:48 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
I bought my Fj with high miles but it was used as a long distance vehicle . It really looked almost new . I would be surprise if it ever was even on a dirt road . I had all service records from Toyota and not a single problem with it . I also
Have a 07 Tacoma that I bought new and have 130,000 on it now and not 1 single issue . I also have a FJ 40 that is as old as me . A used car is a crap shoot . Toyota’s tend to last a long time

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Zur

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I'm going to say it depends on the FJ. The older years can be expected to easily be close to 200,000 if driven daily. My 2010 has 110,000 on it and is still going strong with nothing out of the ordinary for maintenance. That said I would definitely recommend having some type of emergency funds available for repairs as you never know for sure what your getting into with any vehicle new or used.

Here's a great thread that you should look at on buying and selling an FJ.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...j-cruiser.html
Bar3K and Thorn661 like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:06 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Garage

As long as all the maintence was kept up you shouldn`t have a problem.
amaclach likes this.

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:56 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage

My 2007 is closing in on 190,000 miles. The only problem that I have ever had, is that I am now on windshield number 4.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:43 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

While Toyota's, including FJ's have a reputation for reliability and longevity, never ASSUME! Get both a Car Fax and AutoChek report, as one often picks up something the other does not. Get VIN and take to any Toyota/Lexus dealer and run both reports, one showing main. and other showing warranty and recalls performed. Most have theirs serviced at dealers, at least while in warranty. If individual, service records are gold! Not only have services done; but on time, considering time and/or mileage, especially the 30k,60k, 90k,etc
If you want vehicle after doing this and have agreed upon price, make deal with owner, if if dealer, to take it to a Toyota dealer, other than one who may own this vehicle and have comprehensive check that would be done before "certified pre-owned"! Due to mileage, this one would not qualify; but this detailed check would be invaluable to determine the true condition of vehicle and if any major repairs are
necessary, have cost reduced by that amount. FYI, you select Toyota dealer for inspection and pay for it yourself, so dealer is working for you, not seller and have report come to you!

Good Luck!
amaclach likes this.

busterfuzz
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 05:33 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)

Avoid any that have been in a collision. Its not just a body repair thing. An impact could affect the driveline and that gets costly to repair.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 06:17 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Garage

I was in a Lexus ES today that is being used as an Uber. It was running sweet - it was coming upto 500,000 km on the clock, but I think this has been wound back. Those things are on the road 24/7 and only stop for fuel and servicing.

If it's been maintained well, it'll never die.

Modern Asian engineering is amazing - the longevity & reliability of their engines is an engineering miracle.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in