thoughts on '14 FJ for $28k? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thoughts on '14 FJ for $28k?

Looking at a '14 FJ with a clean car fax and 58,xxx miles. the dealer has come down to just over $28k and thinking of pulling the trigger. I have gone back and forth on whether to buy completely stock or an FJ with more add on's. This one has the wheels painted (love the look but worried how they will hold up), front bumper guard and running boards, not my favorite type of running boards but I can see how one could go crazy adding custom items after purchase. I have another that I have been talking on as well with custom wheels and less miles, but I can't get them under $31k.

Question is if I decide to add an aftermarket roof rack, do the FJ's already have the holes / mounting areas laid out for an easy install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: thoughts on '14 FJ for $28k?

They all have the mounting holes. Aftermarket roof racks are better anyway. You’re not losing out on anything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
101Firedog likes this.

2013 Iceberg AT 4x4 | Ghost FJ Build | Instagram
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:45 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Custom this, that, and the other really doesn't add to the value of the vehicle. Indeed, some people (like me) see it as a negative.

All things being equal I would go with the one with fewer miles (as long as it's an attractive color).

Charlie
Hannibal likes this.

Yes officer, I know I that smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 01:50 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Garage

Both vehicles sound like fair prices. As said the added bits add no value and sound like they're going to need to come off if you want to use your FJ off-road. Added parts are only of value if they are what you want.

check out JB's guide here...

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...j-cruiser.html
amaclach likes this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
ZerosFJ previously said: View Post
Both vehicles sound like fair prices. As said the added bits add no value and sound like they're going to need to come off if you want to use your FJ off-road. Added parts are only of value if they are what you want.

check out JB's guide here...

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...j-cruiser.html
Thanks for the comment Zero. JB's guide is great. I just need to make the call on one of these, unfortunately I am under a little bit of time crunch so I will have to make a decision with what is on the market at this time. posted below are the two vehicles I am talking on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 12.48.17 AM.png
Views:	100
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	1040730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 12.48.40 AM.png
Views:	80
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	1040732  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 11:26 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)

I am also in the market. Looking at MAGMA 13 or SandStorm/Quicksand. Prices, albeit seem to be holding, there are quite a few dealers with 3-4 FJ in stock, that can't move them. With gas prices where they are, it definitely is a buyers market.

My issue has been, too many surface rust, the minute I ask dealer for pics of underneath. Also I am looking for stock. I don't want other people's mods, and I want 1 owner only.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 01:57 PM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
kenstl17 previously said: View Post
Thanks for the comment Zero. JB's guide is great. I just need to make the call on one of these, unfortunately I am under a little bit of time crunch so I will have to make a decision with what is on the market at this time. posted below are the two vehicles I am talking on.
Well if you want to off-road it go with the Iceberg one, wheels on the cement look like the OE wheels badly painted from that shot? (At first I thought they were larger than OE fit) the Iceberg looks most original...just my opinion...they’re both FJ’s so either can be bad!

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html

Last edited by ZerosFJ; 05-24-2018 at 01:59 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
ZerosFJ previously said: View Post
Well if you want to off-road it go with the Iceberg one, wheels on the cement look like the OE wheels badly painted from that shot? (At first I thought they were larger than OE fit) the Iceberg looks most original...just my opinion...they’re both FJ’s so either can be bad!
I had the guy send me some close up photos on the wheels as that is a concern of mine as well. The original photo was kind of dark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3627.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1040752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3628.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1040754  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 03:49 PM
Zur

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I'd go with the cement one as I can't stand white vehicles, but that's me.

If you like them both I'd go with the one with fewer miles or cheaper price. If that's the cement one the addons you don't like can always be removed and sold or scrapped. Same with the painted wheels, they can be redone, sold, or use them as winter wheels and get some aftermarket for summer use.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Zur previously said: View Post
I'd go with the cement one as I can't stand white vehicles, but that's me.

If you like them both I'd go with the one with fewer miles or cheaper price. If that's the cement one the addons you don't like can always be removed and sold or scrapped. Same with the painted wheels, they can be redone, sold, or use them as winter wheels and get some aftermarket for summer use.
Yeah, unfortunately the lower miles go with the higher price as expected. I can get a deal done a '14 with 58k miles for $4500 less than a toy certified '14 with 39,000 miles. I have been on the fence but I think I am going to go with the lessor priced one. If I don't like it, I can also change what I don't like or sell it. The other is stretching where I wanted to go with the budget

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in