Toyota Certified Pre-Owned: Gimmick? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Toyota Certified Pre-Owned: Gimmick?

Not knocking anyones opinion, but I'm guessing that those that think they're not worth it have never been saved by one.

FWIW - I bought a Honda CRV many years ago - certified. 60K miles great shape blah blah.

Lost the transmission at 80K, had all the fuel injectors replaced when two failed. Saved me about 2 grand total on the truck with a few other things - I sold it when I got to 100K miles and the warranty expired.

It's more than just roadside assistance - if you don't know the history of the vehicle, it can be either a waste of money of you never need it, or a wallet saver if you get a troublesome car/truck.

Your choice.

07 Sun Fusion AT 4x4
SW of Chicago

"No one here gets out alive" - Jim Morrison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just purchased a 07 with 11,000 miles on it from the stealership. I wanted a certified vehicle with a platinum wraparound warranty. They added the certified vehicle and the wrap around for 1500 bucks. So what did I get? I got basically another 5 years and 89,000 mile factory warranty for 1500 bucks on top of the basic factory warranty. It is worth it to me from a peace of mind stand point. This is my first Toyota. I have owned 5 Fords in a row. Bought the extended warranty and they have all paid for themselves and then some on the Fords. If I ever want to sell this Toyota, the warranty goes with it. This really helps the value of the vehicle when it comes time to sell.

Good luck in your search and hope you find what you are looking for. I sure LOVE my FJ.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I bought my 2007 FJ from Bernardi Toyota in Framingham, MA as a "Toyota Certified Used" vehicle.

In MY experience:

-The impression that they go through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb is bull5h!t. Mine still had the factory spark plugs, a filthy cabin air filter, unchanged oil, nearly empty windshield washer fluid, and a rear cargo area full of sand. The best part of all this was the huge yellow sticker on the rear glass that beamed "SERVICED."

-The price on the extended warranties appear to be negotiable, especially from dealer to dealer. I paid $1350 to warranty mine bumper to bumper until 7 years/100,00 miles. Others here have paid less, and still others more.

-Based on the (IMHO unfounded) "faultless" Toyota reliability reputation, you absolutely SHOULD NOT need one of these warranties. So, if the dealer is trying to sell you a Toyota, which is supposedly one of the most reliable vehicles ever made, why the heck would you also need them to sell you a $500-$2000 warranty??? The answer rhymes with p-r-o-f-i-t !

-Being completely honest, I bought mine simply for the peace of mind knowing that I would put a ton of miles on it and that parts would be MUCH more expensive than the previous (American) cars I have owned. Nothing major has happened since the truck passed 36k miles, but the airbag in the passenger side seat did go bad the night I drove the truck home (with ~34,500 miles on the odo). Had this happened beyond the warranty I would have been screwed, since the remedy was to replace the entire seat! I've heard of others paying as much as $3000 to replace a seat with the built-in airbag!

-Bear in mind that the CPO already gives you an extended powertrain warranty, so adding the bumper-to-bumper may or may not be cost effective for you. It was to me since none of the suspension or emissions components are included in the powertrain coverage of the CPO plan.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in