post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Interesting FJ accessories 15% Fall sale

One customer comment said this single row 25 inch LED bar was an easy fit into the hood scoop. There is a thread for such a mod but the light they were using was discontinued. I also like the 30 inch that fits the lower grille.

Not a forum vendor, but interesting nonetheless:

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/SearchResul...rch=Fj&submit=

FALL15 is the code
Attached Images

Last edited by i12c; 09-21-2018 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Pix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:58 AM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Interesting FJ accessories 15% Fall sale

I was pissed when Feniex discontinued that light bar for the scoop. PUREFJ had a kit and the instructions for the mod.

One customer said he installed it on the hood, in front of the scoop.

トヨタ

Last edited by Hannibal; 09-21-2018 at 03:04 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Hannibal previously said: View Post
I was pissed when Feniex discontinued that light bar for the scoop. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/images/smilies/flame.gif[/IMG] PUREFJ had a kit and the instructions for the mod.

One customer said he installed it on the hood, in front of the scoop. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/images/smilies/huh.gif[/IMG]
Thanks Hannibal, does this one look like it would work in the scoop? Or in front?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 06:42 PM
A-Team Moderator

How the h3ll would I know? We'll disown you if you bolt it to the hood, in front of the scoop, on that beautiful TTUE.

Go measure the opening, check it against the dimensions on that Ad and find PUREFJ's instructions on his website.

One thing PURE found out was the ARB bull bar's top bar was in the direct path of the light and bounced back into the cab. BLINDING
Thorn661 likes this.

トヨタ
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)

The first question is, what are you trying to accomplish by mounting a light (any light) lower than at hood level?

Fog light? Supplementary lighting for the street? Bad-azz appearance?

For any real off-road use, low-mounted lighting is problematic because the low grazing angle accentuates every irregularity in the trail surface. A small dip that's only a few inches deep ends up looking like a black bottomless pit; you can't differentiate a small dip from a suspension-destroying 2-foot deep washout.

It's more difficult to mount and run power to, and adds more aerodynamic drag, but lighting installed as high as possible above the top of the windshield is much more effective for off-road use.
BlueRidgeCruiser and Thorn661 like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:29 PM
A-Team Moderator

Lightbulb Re: Interesting FJ accessories 15% Fall sale

We're going for the Knight Rider look.

Seriously, supplemental lighting for dark country roads. I don't want anything on the roof, as I don't have a rack. The 50" across the windshield header is not something I'm interested in.

I don't want anything taking away from the Retro grille area, so I thought the faux scoop area would be ideal. Triggered by an Ol' Skool GM floor mounted high beam switch mounted to the dead pedal.

I don't see any aerodynamic drag in the scoop vs the header or roof. There's also no vibration, wind noise or glare. Less chance of theft as well.
sonof40, FatJohnson and jamesepoop like this.

トヨタ
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=We'll disown you if you bolt it to the hood, in front of the scoop, on that beautiful TTUE. [/QUOTE]

Not to worry. My guiding principle with mods to the TTUE is similar to the "Hippocratic Oath" of "above all else, do no harm". I don't drill, cut, or grind. I don't sell or trade my OEM parts. However, I do like to exercise the modular accessories that are so abundant with the FJ. I would consider removing the fake plastic scoop module and sticking it in a bin until a later date. Thanks for the advice and the thread info.
Hannibal likes this.

Last edited by i12c; 09-21-2018 at 11:36 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
The first question is, what are you trying to accomplish by mounting a light (any light) lower than at hood level?

Fog light? Supplementary lighting for the street? Bad-azz appearance?

For any real off-road use, low-mounted lighting is problematic because the low grazing angle accentuates every irregularity in the trail surface. A small dip that's only a few inches deep ends up looking like a black bottomless pit; you can't differentiate a small dip from a suspension-destroying 2-foot deep washout.

It's more difficult to mount and run power to, and adds more aerodynamic drag, but lighting installed as high as possible above the top of the windshield is much more effective for off-road use.
Good points. I will have to experiment. I am mostly a desert driver/overlander. I do occasionally tackle some rocks if there is no danger of body damage.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I am really looking for a clean look and better functionality. I don't hate my bull bar and PIAA fogs, but I am ready for something new and the vibration has cause premature burnout of the Yellow Crystal Ion bulbs. At $45 per replacement set, I think it may be time for LED's.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 11:45 PM
A-Team Moderator

I went with the Exp 1 Kodiak bumper due to its lower center section, so that if I did end up doing the scoop light, it wouldn't glare back. Ray at PURE ended up putting matte black vinyl on the backside of the top bar.

I had this all planned out and budgeted, then Feniex discontinued that particular unit. It went to the back burner and I installed some Sylvania zXe's that made a substantial improvement and 4" PIAA Ion yellow Fogs in the Kodiak.

トヨタ

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Discount Codes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in