Who uses their FJ as a bug out vehicle? - Page 10 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Emergency Preparedness This forum is for discussions of emergency preparedness, including wilderness first aid and survival, emergency communication, search and rescue operations, natural disasters and general self-sufficiency.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Who uses their FJ as a bug out vehicle?

Quote:
Hindsight previously said: View Post
I think that being prepared/self sufficient is an important concept.

I live in a place where the idea of "bugging out" really is not as important as the concept of "bugging in". I have always kept some form of emergency kit in all of my vehicles but since the FJ is Springtails rolling showroom...it is the set up better than my truck or the Sti. My Molle bags are not filled with fluff...they have everything from food to recovery equipment in them.

You don't actually need much to increase you chances of survival, the 10 essentials for survival can easily be contained in you hidden compartment.

All this said: I do not think that the FJ Cruiser is the ideal "bug out" vehicle...it certainly is capable but it fails in the respect that IMO, the BOV should also be simple enough to be fixed by a backyard mechanic...the ideal would be a pre-1970s FJ40, Jeep CJ or Suzuki LJ20.

Also, any "Bug-out" plan should take into respect that you will probably be walking and that stealth (staying out of sight and away from others) is going to be paramount to surviving. Even though I will be Bugging in for any major incident, I always keep the FJ (pseudo-BOV) and my Bug out bag ready to go.

Hidden compartment bag contents

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...mpartment.html

Bug out Bag Contents

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...vival-bag.html

Doc
I was wondering about the killer mounted on the rear divider, can that be accessed from the inside or do you have another friend in the cab?

Nice set up looks clean and organized. I need to make my FJ user friendly like that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 11:15 AM

I would grab all of my bug out bags and throw them in my CJ. It would be my first choice for a bug out vehicle.
post #93 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 AM

I appreciate this forum! To me it is about being prepared as much as you can be. And while I can appreciate everyones humor it is still a serious thought to me to be able to get where I need to be, as close as I can, if the SHTF.

Thanks yall!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Well, if I have to choose between my modified FJ and my Honda Insight Hybrid, I think the choice is pretty easy. I don't normally keep weapons in the FJ, but it's a short walk from my house to the FJ in the driveway.

Black 2010 w/ Offroad & Convenience Packages. TLCA # 21403. Louisiana Land Krewesers. Thanks to Friends for Help!

Icon. Light Racing. All-Pro. Goodyear MT/R. XD-125. BajaRack. Springtail M-PAC. Body Armor. Expedition One. Rugged Ridge. BudBuilt. Richochet. Toy Outfitters. PIAA. Flowmaster. TRD. Demello. Rigid. FourTreks.
post #95 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
willinno previously said: View Post
Well, if I have to choose between my modified FJ and my Honda Insight Hybrid, I think the choice is pretty easy. I don't normally keep weapons in the FJ, but it's a short walk from my house to the FJ in the driveway.
I'm with you. Seeing as our other vehicle is a Mazda 6, I think the answer is pretty obvious. Besides, the way I see it, a bug out vehicle is meant to get you to your retreat - not a roamer unless necessary. By either of those standards, I think the FJ stands up nicely.

2012 Quicksand AT/Offroad Pkg | BMC | Bajarack Utility Rack | All-Pro HREW Sliders | Springtail Solutions MPAC Straddle, Basket and Rear Door Racks| UltraGauge | 285/70r17 Duratracs | Hella Supertone Horns | OEM Hitch | Midland 75-822 Ex Cop Special CB package | 60" Hi-Lift X-treme mounted on Hi-Lift mounts| Spidertrax Wheel Spacers | Warn receiver shackle bracket | Avital remote starter | Radflo 2.5" extended travel coil-overs - 650 lb springs | Radflo 2.5" rear shocks with Eibach springs | Light Racing UCAs | H3R HalGuard Clean Agent fire extinguisher

post #96 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Who uses their FJ as a bug out vehicle?

I plan on using mine as a bug out vehicle. I have done a test fit off all my gear and supplies. I have some protective equipment I'll add if that time comes. I think the FJ will be a great vehicle to bug out in. Me using the FJ as a bug out vehicle was one of the deciding factors in me buying it.

It's better to be prepared and never need it, than need it and not have it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

***CLICK BELOW TO CHECK OUT MY FJ BUILD***

http://www.bakesfj.com

**FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK**

-BAKER-

post #97 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)

Quote:
The Cardinal previously said: View Post
I'm with you. Seeing as our other vehicle is a Mazda 6, I think the answer is pretty obvious. Besides, the way I see it, a bug out vehicle is meant to get you to your retreat - not a roamer unless necessary. By either of those standards, I think the FJ stands up nicely.
Actually, if things ever get that bad, and let's all hope they don't, I'd probably go back into the bayous and swamps where I grew up. I know my way around, I can fish and hunt for subsistance, and there won't be too many people back there. Hmm, now I need a boat.

Black 2010 w/ Offroad & Convenience Packages. TLCA # 21403. Louisiana Land Krewesers. Thanks to Friends for Help!

Icon. Light Racing. All-Pro. Goodyear MT/R. XD-125. BajaRack. Springtail M-PAC. Body Armor. Expedition One. Rugged Ridge. BudBuilt. Richochet. Toy Outfitters. PIAA. Flowmaster. TRD. Demello. Rigid. FourTreks.
post #98 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)

We plan to bug in. Lawn chairs and adult beverages. Watch the neighbors bugger out and raid their abandoned homes. FJ will be used to scavenge, and emergency use.

Army Green 2011 NSSE (Option Package 3) w/ Tribal Graphics
post #99 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Datajockeys previously said: View Post
We plan to bug in. Lawn chairs and adult beverages. Watch the neighbors bugger out and raid their abandoned homes. FJ will be used to scavenge, and emergency use.
haha genius! LOL

BRAD
MR. NAUGHTY AVATAR

2007 SUN FUSION
WWW.FORGEOVERLAND.COM

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Emergency Preparedness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in