FJ Search and Rescue in Washington State - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Emergency Preparedness This forum is for discussions of emergency preparedness, including wilderness first aid and survival, emergency communication, search and rescue operations, natural disasters and general self-sufficiency.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
FJ Search and Rescue in Washington State

There was a recent avalanche and 4 persons were tragically killed.

In the Seattle Times was a photo of one of the King County Search and Rescue folks and he was using an FJ.

image owned by ERIKA SCHULTZ / THE SEATTLE TIMES

2011 NSSE - Icon coilover - TotalChaos UCA - SAW rear coils - OME 895 rear medium shocks - Metal Tech slider - Metal Tech tube bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - PIAA 520 ATP - Midland 75-822 CB - Boztec antenna mount - Duratrac 285/70x17 - Scuba Mod - Ricochet skids - PIAA dual horn 400/500 - sPOD - Ellis Stealth Shift Knobs - MPAC rear/side rack - PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBDII - Nestah Edition Firestik Radio Antenna - National Luna Single Battery Monitor - Tantrum Rock Lights - Outrider Shock Armor - Toy Outfitter LCA - Switched DRL's - Front rock cameras - Custom Rear Cargo Storage - Platinum PM-1 Battery - Raingler Cargo Nets - 10LB Powertank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:13 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7039 Post(s)
Garage
Re: FJ Search and Rescue in Washington State

I saw that in a video last night and wasn't sure if it was an official rig or if he was just using someones radio. Neat if that is an official rig.

Sorry to hear about the skiers getting killed. One lady that survived it was on the news talking about it and she gave them some info on an "air bag" pack that she had on. She thinks that is what saved her life.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I believe in our area Search and Rescue is staffed by very experienced volunteers. SO, I cant say if that is his rig or someone else's rig.

Have you seen the X air bag you can use to jack up your vehicle. It is almost the same thing. It is carried in a back pack and when deployed it inflates and create a safe area around the individual so they can stay on top of the avalanche. While she was still stuck (snow is like cement) in the snow, her head will be above the snow and she can breathe and wait for rescue. One of the main causes of death in avalanche is suffocation. You usually cant dig out because it so packed together and you have no movement since your body is locked in whatever position you wind up in.

2011 NSSE - Icon coilover - TotalChaos UCA - SAW rear coils - OME 895 rear medium shocks - Metal Tech slider - Metal Tech tube bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - PIAA 520 ATP - Midland 75-822 CB - Boztec antenna mount - Duratrac 285/70x17 - Scuba Mod - Ricochet skids - PIAA dual horn 400/500 - sPOD - Ellis Stealth Shift Knobs - MPAC rear/side rack - PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBDII - Nestah Edition Firestik Radio Antenna - National Luna Single Battery Monitor - Tantrum Rock Lights - Outrider Shock Armor - Toy Outfitter LCA - Switched DRL's - Front rock cameras - Custom Rear Cargo Storage - Platinum PM-1 Battery - Raingler Cargo Nets - 10LB Powertank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Garage

Yea I've seen those bags. I never thought about it when they showed video of that pack on the news though. Neat idea.

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

May have been a different news story...but I thought I heard on the news that the other skiers were also wearing those bags but they failed to deploy?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Garage

The one little story on the news that I caught made it sound like she had the pack and lived because of it and the others didn't have one and should have. I'm not really sure what the whole story is though.

TLCA #9031
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

from what I have read, she was the only one who had the device.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage

Correct, it's all volunteer as far as I know, and they need people from what I gather. I've been approached by them in random parking lots a couple times where they informed me of their meeting times and whatnot. If I had more free time I'd probably try and see what it's all about, they've all seemed like nice guys. Mostly Jeepers actually. There's a S&R silver FJ round these parts that lurks on the forum too...

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Search and rescue can be a very fulfilling pastime, I used to do that in Oklahoma on horseback. I may look into doing it here in texas now.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Emergency Preparedness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in