Bug out/Bug in? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Emergency Preparedness This forum is for discussions of emergency preparedness, including wilderness first aid and survival, emergency communication, search and rescue operations, natural disasters and general self-sufficiency.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 01:20 AM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2631 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Bug out/Bug in?

Whether it's the Zombie Apocalypse or the 2012 Apocalypse, it's a fun way to Be Prepared for any Emergency. Just ask the C.D.C. and read their Zombie Survival Guide.

Try living on an Island where almost EVERYTHING but the mail and newspapers are delivered by barge. If the Harbors get hit, the barge does not come until they are repaired. Try going 3 weeks w/out! We've had to Bug Out twice, Tsunami Threats. We lived ground floor, ocean front. Since the Japanese Quake/Tsunami, we've moved to higher ground, elevation 285. This entire island, HELL the entire 5-0 State sometimes, shuts down when a threat is posed. Stores sell out & gas lines are blocks long within minutes. Add Volcano's, Fires, Earthquakes, sometimes earthquakes & fires from the volcano, Hurricanes.... Being Prepared is just smart! Do I worry about Zombie's, NO! UNPREPARED Predators, YES!

When the SHTF, the Civil Defense actual says on the radio stations, You are on your own for at least 3 days to as much as 3 weeks, conservatively.

AT&T goes dead w/in minutes due to a shared satellite w/ Nextel and Sprint. Only Verizon works, so I ate it and switched after last years disaster.

Ask any Hawaiian on here, if there's an accident on the road, they close it until they are clear and done with their investigation. Sometimes up to 8 hours. One 2 lane road/HWY, it closes and you sit & wait. Car kits are a must!

So Bug In/Bug Out? It's all relative to the situation that you've been dealt.

@ 1/2mill90 @ ocr14a, I went with Preparedness thread and plz read the OP's username again

This was my view...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my condo view.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	54676  

2011 NSSE

トヨタ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 02:27 AM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7039 Post(s)
Garage

Nice view!

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

To be perfectly honest, this is the topic which lead me to the FJ about a year and a half ago when I started shopping/considering the purchase...

First, because of the possibility that ~$30k wouldn't buy a new reliable capable vehicle 4-5 years down the road, and the fact that pay/salaries are frozen everywhere you look... which makes inflation all the more real.

Second, because I live in an over-crowded area surrounded by desert & trails... and roads and highways prove insufficient every single day of the year... let alone when disaster strikes...

First and foremost, the FJ is my ticket out of here if something bad happens.... ie, "The Big One" in terms of EQ.... As many describe, the initial panic would likely prove the worst in terms of people getting stranded or "caught with their pants down"

I have friends on either side of the fence.... Some that you might consider strange because of how they spend their income on supplies, water, food, fuel, generators, ammo, etc.... and the ones who think that type of behavior is strange while they instead spend their income on (2) life insurance policies, travel insurance, AAA, Medical, Dental, Vision, over-insure everything, Gap, Extended warranties on every gizmo or appliance they buy.....

It's funny, because both behaviors exhibit fear/concern in different ways.. The first example, is concern for basic survival... where the second example is concern for monetary loss... Each individually might appear narrow minded to the other...

If a "Big One" hits here... where crime is already bad enough as it is.... then it will be open season on any and everyone... For that reason, I have enough stored to Bug-in for a month or more without having to venture out for anything.... Hopefully that will be enough time for the smoke to clear and order to be restored....

If things don't improve.... ie, power down for months, no water, no trucks rolling, no help, (ie Katrina) the bottom line is, and always will be... that over-populated areas are not defensible, at least not for very long...

That is why I do not store more than I have which would easily take up every inch inside the FJ's cargo area with the seats folded down.... Keeping any more than that in my case would likely end up being in vain...

I already know the situation is not ideal for what may loom ahead in terms of disaster.... But work often dictates where you are.... It's up to the individual to recognize, and underwrite their own risk and decide what steps they will undertake to lessen their loss in whatever terms they measure it.... money or life itself...

I also read into this as a preparedness thread.... To argue politics is just stupid anyways.... All that accomplishes is to distract a group from the real threat (Zombies) while they bicker over nothing.... all the while the farm gets surrounded, the lookout platform doesn't get finished, and they are standing in a field at each others throats, and Carl is just wandering around completely unsupervised AGAIN!!! *sigh*

AMC series "The Walking Dead"... the ultimate survival film...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
DoWork previously said: View Post
Remember the last time the world ended? neither did I...
I remember... wasn't pretty.

...and I thought all politicians were zombies.

If you want to have a vehicle for emergency preparedness, you would buy a '78 Ram Powerwagon or the like (something with no computers). Just like I did...

Last edited by Capt41; 03-15-2012 at 05:51 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)

Im on a the Regional Response Team for my county last time we got sent out of town was to NYC when they were worried the hurricane would hit. This entails lots of Fema classes and meetings. The last meeting the fema guy stated they have changed their minds in the case of a diaster natural or man made people staying put will greatly increase their chances of survival. who knows

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Emergency Preparedness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in