Best Places to Buy Emergency/Survival Gear? - Page 5 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Emergency Preparedness This forum is for discussions of emergency preparedness, including wilderness first aid and survival, emergency communication, search and rescue operations, natural disasters and general self-sufficiency.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Best Places to Buy Emergency/Survival Gear?

Quote:
Soliloquy_LV previously said: View Post
First off, 2WhiteHummers that looks like a solid kit to me, with some customization for whoever buys it to take care of specific needs. A couple of things I would like to add (I am adding an FJ to my car roster soon as a bug out vehicle/camping/outdoors fun vehicle) -

The BioLite stove: BioLite - BioLite Stove
cooks, powers USB gadgets, portable and runs off of random twigs - no need for carrying extra fuel.

A good solar power backup is also a fine plan. There are a variety of them on Amazon from about $30 and on up (the cheapest ones perform... well... cheaply).

there are a couple of books by a guy named Joe Nobody (these are similar to US Army field survival manuals but they have been distilled for the layperson - green berets, scout/snipers and special forces need not apply) link to author web page: Amazon.com: Joe Nobody: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

Alternate bug out vehicles to consider:
full suspension mountain bike rigged for long distance travel. This can be a bit fiddle to set up right but when fuel runs out and the tires are all blown, a good mountain bike will still allow you to cover significant distance per day while carrying a surprising amount of equipment. this rig can easily be mounted on your FJ or other bug out vehicle.

Ultralight aircraft:
If you really have the dough, don't think that you will be able to drive out, an ultralight can carry a single person, perhaps 75 pounds of equipment (depending on how much you weigh) and can be launched on an average suburban street. Warning, expensive and range can be limited.

Other preparedness shopping sites I use:
Emergency Preparedness
The Ready Store
Man, an airplane would be awesome!!

But I think a good mountain bike is invaluable for when you run out of gas or your FJ becomes immobilized for whatever reason.

'07 6MT Titanium Silver
TLCA #22094
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 2672 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Jump on this Mountain House sale, quick! | The Survival Mom?

#10 cans on sale, 25% off, June 2-8, 2013 only.

2011 NSSE

トヨタ
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)

Have to join with email to buy on the site but free to join. Here's today's sales on maxpeditions back packs.

DVOR.com - Private Sales Shopping - Invitation Only Membership Store - Exclusive Deals on Cool Gear & Top Brands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Re: The First Responder is YOU!

Quote:
Hannibal previously said: View Post
How do we feel about the Vet antibiotics for human consumption w/out a script in a SHTF scenario? I'd like to hear it, Pro's/Con's, etc...

FYI stuff:
I "carry" and I carry these two items with me all of the time, including when I fly/travel; They'll give you the time that you may need while waiting for the Ambulance/Help to arrive or to get out of a burning plane, hotel, airport, bldg. or wherever life finds you.

The TacPack is the size of 2 cig packs laid side to side and weighs about 4 oz's. Mask is approx. 6"x6"x1/2". Created for the Secret Service by their leading Trauma Surgeon.

TaC-PACK® ADVANCED T

Technon | Breath of Life™ Emergency Escape Mask Video's on Specs & Instructions pages.
Anyone that plans on carrying any type of Trauma Dressing needs at least (1) C.A.T. Device (Combat Application Tourniquet). These run $20-30 each, and you should really have (2) within quick reach. These WORK! If you have an extremity Arterial Bleed, you will bleed out in a few minutes! Apply one of these, or two, and it will get you to definitive care (Surgery)!
rotorhed1 and Hannibal like this.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 03:37 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 2672 Post(s)

bumpin up an oldie.

2011 NSSE

トヨタ
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:57 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7041 Post(s)
Garage

https://toughgrid.com/
https://www.amazon.com/TOUGH-GRID-75.../dp/B00CJICDR4

Amazon has a lot of stuff if you know what you want and how to make sure you're getting something good and useful vs a novelty type item.
Hannibal likes this.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Emergency Preparedness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in