Your EDC bag contents - Page 120 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Emergency Preparedness This forum is for discussions of emergency preparedness, including wilderness first aid and survival, emergency communication, search and rescue operations, natural disasters and general self-sufficiency.

947Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1191 of 1206 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 02:06 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Your EDC bag contents

I have a pair of Raptors... but my hands are too small!! find them hard to open up.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1192 of 1206 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 02:47 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2949 Post(s)
Garage

I need a set of shears that can make it through flight security...
I've lost too many cheap sets from my med kit I carry when traveling to the more "fun" locations...

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #1193 of 1206 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 02:52 AM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7041 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
amaclach previously said: View Post
I need a set of shears that can make it through flight security...
I've lost too many cheap sets from my med kit I carry when traveling to the more "fun" locations...
One of the reviewers mentioned that these aren't TSA legal because of that strap cutter piece in the first photo. He said that he used a torx or whatever wrench it is to remove that blade and then added in stainless washers to replace it and they then allowed it through without problems and he takes the shears with him on the planes now. You could check into that and see if it would work for you. Hell you might even be able to get Leatherman to do it from the factory too.
amaclach likes this.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1194 of 1206 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 02:55 AM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7041 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
ZerosFJ previously said: View Post
I have a pair of Raptors... but my hands are too small!! find them hard to open up.
I was surprised at their size and they work great for me. Usually I get something like these and my thumb always gets stuck in the hole and I feel like I'm using kid sized scissors or something they are so small and tight. I even had a set of 3 pairs of sewing scissors at the house and they were all small sized and the thumb holes always caused me problems.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #1195 of 1206 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 03:39 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 2949 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
BIGGUY previously said: View Post
One of the reviewers mentioned that these aren't TSA legal because of that strap cutter piece in the first photo. He said that he used a torx or whatever wrench it is to remove that blade and then added in stainless washers to replace it and they then allowed it through without problems and he takes the shears with him on the planes now. You could check into that and see if it would work for you. Hell you might even be able to get Leatherman to do it from the factory too.
Unfortunately it comes down to the discretion of the individual on the x-ray machine...
Sometimes they get through, sometimes not, and I really can't be assed checking my bag through...

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #1196 of 1206 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Your EDC bag contents

Quote:
BIGGUY previously said: View Post
I just picked up a pair of Leatherman Raptor shears that came in today. I'd wanted or needed to get a decent pair of shears for the first aid kit in my truck and have been looking for a pair for some time now. I needed something that was well built and sharp that also had finger and thumb holes big enough to easily use them without having my thumb get stuck in them. I read a bunch of reviews on Amazon of different brands and none really stood out. I then looked at the ones from Leatherman and all the reviews were great on the with the bad reviews mainly being for the plastic molded holster that they come with and it either loosening up and the tool falling out, the screws loosening up and the holster breaking in two, or the screws loosening up and falling out and then the holster falling apart. The holster is molded and will hold the shears when folded or when in the open position and ready for use. It has a setup to be used on a belt or it is Molle compatible and it's adjustable to sit in different positions for pulling the tool out. I don't really have plans to carry it on my belt and will probably just stick them inside the first aid bag.

The tool is pretty good sized and it weighs in at 5.8oz. It's approx 5"Lx1 1/2"Wx3/4"D closed and then approx 8"Lx4"Wx3/4"D when open. It has the shears and then on one blade there is a ruler in cm/mm from 0-5/25. Under the bottom blade at the pivot is a notch for cutting rings. There is a blade on it with an oxygen tank tool and a strap cutter and on the end of the handle is a glass breaking tool and a lanyard hole. To fold them up there are two triangular shaped buttons, one on each side that you push and then the handles fold back. They appear to be well made and everything is nice and tight as I've come to expect from Leatherman products after being a long time user of them. I only got to try them on some cotton material and it went through that like a hot knife through butter. In the reviews people talk and show photos of cutting pennies into pieces with them and medical people talk about cutting leather and denim in real world uses.

They are a little pricey at $69.95, but should be well worth it if they do their job in a bad situation even once. They come with plastic handle covers in black, black/orange, tan, blue, red, and green. According to some reviewers if you contact Leatherman and provide your ID such as EMT, Fireman, Police, etc. they will sell you a pair at a big discount.

I mentioned having finger and thumb holes big enough to easily use and this has them. I have room to spare for my thumb and I can fit 3 fingers in the finger hole and then there is a notch in front of that for the 4th finger. I could probably use them with a pair of gloves on if they aren't too thick.

So far I'm happy with them although I haven't gotten to use them, but then again they are a tool that you really don't hope you need to use. I think they'll be great if and when needed.

Mine are on my bag everyday at work Iíve had them for awhile now as impressed with them as I always have been with my long time leatherman wave. I can tell you the built in ring cutter will cut through rings like butter too !

Sent from WV
BIGGUY, HERSOG and CabinCruiser like this.

COME AND TAKE IT
post #1197 of 1206 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
D-Rock previously said: View Post
I have a GORUCK GR1 for my EDC. Will have to post up its contents later when I have time. Interested to see where this thread goes.

OP are you over on the EDCF forums?
The first bag( Versa pack knock off from utg) Traded to tan Field Tactical pack and ended up in the maxpedition falcon 2 which is current bag.
Andy07 likes this.
post #1198 of 1206 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:01 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Pretty basic stuff:
Everyday first aid kit
Trauma first aid kit - for the bleedy ones
Small fixed blade
Bottle of water/Gatorade
Small shovel

For the winter just subbed in:

Dozen Hot Shots
Extra pair of socks in a sealed bag
Spare Toque
Andy07 likes this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #1199 of 1206 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
JADIYA previously said: View Post
The first bag( Versa pack knock off from utg) Traded to tan Field Tactical pack and ended up in the maxpedition falcon 2 which is current bag.

Had same maxpedition pack for probably 7 years now as well Best one Iíve owned carry it everyday on the squad I work and in my 4runner as I type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COME AND TAKE IT
post #1200 of 1206 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:51 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Garage

Got a few fresh Quick Clot packs a few weeks ago. Nothing else has changed much.
Andy07 and amaclach like this.

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Emergency Preparedness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in