Armory! - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Emergency Preparedness This forum is for discussions of emergency preparedness, including wilderness first aid and survival, emergency communication, search and rescue operations, natural disasters and general self-sufficiency.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: Armory!

Quote:
redhorizons previously said: View Post
There are different kinds of people in this world. Many of you will have the option of "bugging out", but a lot of us in service will not have that option regardless of of families. I never said be unprepared. Emergency preparedness as this section is labeled is not just bugging out or preparing for natural disasters it can also be defending your home from whatever; and "whatever" doesn't have to be a "bug out/in" event. SH*t hitting the fan can just be some sh#thead coming into your home.
There are many types of people in this world for sure. I love my God, my family, and my country. Those are in order. Not saying you are wrong about your priorities, but, you always have options. They come in the form of choices. For anybody that think I have mine out of order, I don't mind you thinking that at all, its your right. But, before you blast me on mine, you need to know I've buried more friends in my lifetime than anybody should.
DWMiller76 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Catalyst
 
OCR14a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ~Boulder, CO | Off-Topic Posts: 1,473,954
Posts: 9,237
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a
Lifetime Supporting Member
Question Re: Armory!

Quote:
FJoel previously said: View Post
Any kind! A bottle jack or floor jack and some 2x4's will help keep the springs of any trailer fresh. It's not a bad idea for storing vehicles for long periods either...
So, would this be helpful for a 'travel trailer'....the kind of thing people use for comfy-camping....sort of like an RV, but the kind that requires being pulled?

A friend recently got one of those things, and I pass on anything helpful that I come across. So, would this help with that kind of trailer (sorry, I'm pretty ignorant of the suspension in those things)?
OCR14a is offline  
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Armory!

Quote:
DWMiller76 previously said: View Post
There are many types of people in this world for sure. I love my God, my family, and my country. Those are in order. Not saying you are wrong about your priorities, but, you always have options. They come in the form of choices. For anybody that think I have mine out of order, I don't mind you thinking that at all, its your right. But, before you blast me on mine, you need to know I've buried more friends in my lifetime than anybody should.
I agree with you, my commitments fall in that order as well, but my point was that if I am without my family in an emergency situation, because of work, I may not have the option of getting to them. If I am with them...its a different matter. I would never denounce my God for my family or country.
redhorizons is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Forum Superstar
 
FJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 6,960
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Re: Armory!

Quote:
ocr14a previously said: View Post
So, would this be helpful for a 'travel trailer'....the kind of thing people use for comfy-camping....sort of like an RV, but the kind that requires being pulled?

A friend recently got one of those things, and I pass on anything helpful that I come across. So, would this help with that kind of trailer (sorry, I'm pretty ignorant of the suspension in those things)?
I have no experience with that kind of trailer either. The trailers I have seen this applied to were boat, tent, and utility. All of them had leaf springs, but from my understanding, coil springs have more of a tendency to sag if left loaded for long periods.

I've only ever owned a Seadoo trailer (briefly, as it is boring being the only one with a Seadoo and no one to ride with), and I remember learning the lesson then from my dad and grandpa when storing it through the winter.
FJoel is offline  
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Member
 
Black Hills FJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Armory!

My 2 cents on trailers, if ya guys don't mind. Most trailers need roads. Roads will not be an option for travel when shtf. Off road capable trailers can slow your rate of escape, make concealment more difficult and add to things you need to maintenance or repair. I am not shooting down the idea of trailers by any means, gentlemen, just figure a remedy for those problems and I believe a trailer is an option for survival. I have a trailer, unfortunately it would not make it farther than a rough gravel road. If I could get my hands on one of those military trailers and retro fit it, that would be awesome. There ya go guys and glad to see people are trying to think of this stuff before it has to be done!

2007 FJ TRD SE
Stock...for now.

Black Hills FJ is offline  
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Catalyst
 
OCR14a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ~Boulder, CO | Off-Topic Posts: 1,473,954
Posts: 9,237
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Armory!

Quote:
FJoel previously said: View Post
I have no experience with that kind of trailer either. The trailers I have seen this applied to were boat, tent, and utility. All of them had leaf springs, but from my understanding, coil springs have more of a tendency to sag if left loaded for long periods.

I've only ever owned a Seadoo trailer (briefly, as it is boring being the only one with a Seadoo and no one to ride with), and I remember learning the lesson then from my dad and grandpa when storing it through the winter.
OK, cool. Thanks, man.

Quote:
Black Hills FJ previously said: View Post
My 2 cents on trailers, if ya guys don't mind. Most trailers need roads. Roads will not be an option for travel when shtf. Off road capable trailers can slow your rate of escape, make concealment more difficult and add to things you need to maintenance or repair. I am not shooting down the idea of trailers by any means, gentlemen, just figure a remedy for those problems and I believe a trailer is an option for survival. I have a trailer, unfortunately it would not make it farther than a rough gravel road. If I could get my hands on one of those military trailers and retro fit it, that would be awesome. There ya go guys and glad to see people are trying to think of this stuff before it has to be done!
Ya, the recent conversation in this thread regarding trailers really had nothing whatsoever to do with emergency preparedness. I just noticed a helpful tip regarding trailers, and went off on a side conversation to dig for more details. Sorry for instigating the confusion.

Back to guns and ammo
OCR14a is offline  
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Armory!

Picked up my first Mossberg today, 500 3R, little upset with the movement, side to side, in the pump. My Savage shotguns don't have this this problem. Though everyone at work said to expect this. Anyways, one more added to the stockpile.
redhorizons is offline  
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 AM
A-Team Moderator
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United States of America
Posts: 7,562
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Armory!

Mossberg 500's are great guns! The safety and slide release are in a much better position than the Rem's for us Lefties. I've had one and carried it for over 26 yrs and it still looks brand new.



2011 NSSE

トヨタ
Hannibal is offline  
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Member
 
Southbounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: L.A. county
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Armory!

Thanks for all the posts and ideas re: emergency preparedness.

Southbounder: White/Titanium 2007 FJ. 2.5" ORU level lift, K&N air filter to Snorkel air, P285/70/R17 BFG KM2's, custom black wheels, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Cobra 18 WX ST II CB w/ Bandini mounted 3' or 5' Tiger Antenna, Baja Racks, (2) Rhino 5 gal. water containers,4g. Roto Pax Fuel box, Alpine sounds under OEM faceplate, custom Dash Hot Switch, Hella Optilux 1870 fog lights wired hot, New Haven 50' @15,000 lb. recovery strap, U-Haul tow package, recovery hook, ABC fire extinguisher, REI 3-day 1st Aid Kit, Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust system
Southbounder is offline  
Reply

  Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Emergency Preparedness

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome