gas can carriers for the FJ - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Emergency Preparedness This forum is for discussions of emergency preparedness, including wilderness first aid and survival, emergency communication, search and rescue operations, natural disasters and general self-sufficiency.

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
gas can carriers for the FJ

Quote:
sbgixxer previously said: View Post
Thanks, it worked great! There are a few improvements I'd make to the "next one" though. First, it needs to swing/fold/something to make access to the rear door possible and second, it needs another anchor point, not to hold weight but to keep it from rocking. The rocking isn't bad at all until those smooth asphalt roads give way to rocky terrain.
Looks great!

Do you plan on doing a second one with the modifications you listed because I would be very interested in one?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

***CLICK BELOW TO CHECK OUT MY FJ BUILD***

http://www.bakesfj.com

**FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK**

-BAKER-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: gas can carriers for the FJ

Quote:
I had the same idea about wanting to carry an extra 10gal. of fuel but I also wanted some outside storage for dirty stuff. There's nothing decent on the market so I made my own.

That's pretty cool... Love to have that setup.
post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Shake_&_Bake previously said: View Post
Looks great!

Do you plan on doing a second one with the modifications you listed because I would be very interested in one?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

That was the plan. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I recently installed 220v in my garage so that'll help the process. Participating in this thread definitely has be thinking again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
Nicely done!

I would definitely opt for something like this over mounting to the stock tire carrier. I am far from an expert or an engineer, but I would not want to carry too much extra weight on the stock setup.
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ohiobenz Send a message via Yahoo to ohiobenz Send a message via Skype™ to ohiobenz

Cherry picker is Reese Hitch insert mounted...

but the jerry cans and Hi-Lift are attached (and removable) from my ladder...

'08 Fusion: ARB rack, custom ladder, Jerry-can carrier & Hi-lift mount, DO front bumper, Expedition-1 Rear bumper, DO Hybrid Sliders, MileMarker Hyd Winch, SPEC Stage-1 clutch, Icon Stage 2 3" lift, Cobra CB, PNR Snorkel, Spidertrax spacers, All-Pro Skid plates, Airlift airsprings Plasti-Dipped hood, Arco PIAA fogs, Hella drivin lights & more......
post #16 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...you-think.html

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners
post #17 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ohiobenz does your system stress the rear door hinges at all ? I was going to build something similar but am rather affraid of how the stress will affect the hinges. I think I am going to go with they set up UTEFJ built.

VE7SAN - 2013 Trail Teams 5AT.

Custom storage box/sleeping deck. Skeeter Beaters, 48" Hi Lift Extreme, Icom 2200H, Larsen 5/8 wave 2M antenna. OEM Hella roof top lights and air dam (Thanks Toyota Canada) Sirius Sat radio. TRD CAI on the bench in the shop awaiting the arrival of the TRD Cat back exhaust. Then she is up on the hoist for instalation.
post #18 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
gas can carriers for the FJ

Quote:
I had the same idea about wanting to carry an extra 10gal. of fuel but I also wanted some outside storage for dirty stuff. There's nothing decent on the market so I made my own.

I love this design! Let me k ow if you're ever willing to release the dimensions and get the hardworking done for me then I'd just have to find the material and weld it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

'08 TT/AT/Full Skids/BFG RT/16" TRD
Build: Mission: FJ Overlander
Lots to go!
post #19 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

I'd be happy to. PM me and I'll gather whatever dimensions you're looking for.
post #20 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 09:52 AM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7041 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:

That's a nice setup. I have one that a friend made for me several years ago that is similar. I had a '90 Toyota pickup and a Polaris ATV and when I'd go camping there was no place to put the cooler. I couldn't find anything that was ready made except for one basket that was over $700.

I drew out a rough outline of what I wanted and showed it to my friend and we figured out what we needed and built it. Mine comes out from the hitch and then has the angle and then the vertical. At the top it was left straight. The basket was approx 5'x2"x 1 1/2' tall and had a female receiver piece added on the back. It would sit on top of the "pole" from the truck hitch and hang towards the truck, opposite of yours, and that was it. No braces and just two tabs that extended out over the tailgate and were found to not be needed.

I carried a 40qrt cooler, Coleman camp stove, and depending on what I needed, water jugs/charcoal/Volcano stove/ or other stuff along side the cooler and stove. It worked great through many trips and it sits in my shed still today. I've thought about pulling it out and seeing what it would take to make it work with the FJ, but just haven't done it yet.

I lucked out when we made it as I could buy scrap metal from work. We got the main 2" steel for the receiver pieces and the expanded metal that way and only had to buy some sticks of 1"x1" steel. I think it cost around $35 to make.

Later on I bought a tilt bed snowmobile trailer to haul the ATV. We took a piece of metal to make a post on the front of the trailer and my basket could be slid over that post and would sit on the trailer to be used for fuel cans, tools, storage, etc.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Emergency Preparedness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in