SHTF Poll - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Emergency Preparedness This forum is for discussions of emergency preparedness, including wilderness first aid and survival, emergency communication, search and rescue operations, natural disasters and general self-sufficiency.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SHTF Poll

So I was thinking the other day about my SHTF preparedness and I though well I don't have to worry about a tsunami or a hurricane (I live in El Paso, TX) so I don't need a boat, then it hit me, I wonder what most people think will get us to the SHTF times. We all prep for the same basic things, water, food, guns, shelter, supplies, sustainability etc but a great amount of our prepping is influenced by what we think is most likely to happen so i would like to ask;

Which of these SHTF possibilities do you think is most likely to happen in the next 5 to 10 years and why?

Rambo/MacGyver guys that have a plan for everything need not reply

1. Biological Disaster- pandemic, bio-attack
2. Nuclear War
3. Civil War/Unrest, Martial Law, Hungry Neighbors
4. EMP Attack

5. Natural Disaster-earthquake, tsunami, hurricane etc.
6. Asteroid or Meteor
7. Solar flare

8. Cyber Attack

Keep in mind these events would have to be "Grid Crippling" events to the extent that you must count on yourself to survive.

Administrators please make this into a poll if enough people participate.
If i missed a very likely possibility please mention it so that it may be added.
If this sort of thread already exist please enlighten me, i searched but found zippo. Thanks in advance to everyone that participates.

Last edited by 57524; 12-25-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: punctuation police
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: SHTF Poll

I'll jump in for fun. I've always thought in the back of my mind that a emp would be a bad thing to wake up to. But who knows you look at Greece what they went through and still are going through over the people letting the elected run there country into the poor house(sound familiar) and then rioting after they set and watched it slowly happen for 30 years. These jackasses we got in Washington don't pull their heads out of their cracks and learn to work together for the good of the republic it won't be the whole world ending it will be our world as we know it ending. By the end of 2013 we will be paying 800 billion with a B a year in interest on our national debt. I'm just a humble hillbilly medic but if someone can show me how that's a good thing and the country can keep on keeping on that way please enlighten me!!! So I guess I'm prepping to keep my family safe from hungry neighbors. Stay safe out there.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Andy07 previously said: View Post
I'll jump in for fun. I've always thought in the back of my mind that a emp would be a bad thing to wake up to. But who knows you look at Greece what they went through and still are going through over the people letting the elected run there country into the poor house(sound familiar) and then rioting after they set and watched it slowly happen for 30 years. These jackasses we got in Washington don't pull their heads out of their cracks and learn to work together for the good of the republic it won't be the whole world ending it will be our world as we know it ending. By the end of 2013 we will be paying 800 billion with a B a year in interest on our national debt. I'm just a humble hillbilly medic but if someone can show me how that's a good thing and the country can keep on keeping on that way please enlighten me!!! So I guess I'm prepping to keep my family safe from hungry neighbors. Stay safe out there.
What really gets me is that they are arguing about how us tax payers will pay for the ludicrous and endless spending, now that Ron Paul is retired there is no one reminding us about Military spending and auditing the fed, they should be on the table if not front stage but politicians do work together, to screw us and pay back campaign contributors.

My vote is Pandemic, the Flu comes by every year and spontaneous other diseases pop up here and there regularly, I think it's just a matter of time. Remember SARS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Mad Cow? tik tok tik tok...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
In my opinion, I'd say 3 (civil war or martial law) is most likely with the way things are going. If you look throughout history and look at how other great nations have crumbled and are crumbling as we speak, we're heading down the same road. I don't understand their thought process. They are doing the same thing as other nations that have fallen throughout history, but are expecting a different outcome.

We have several issues to worry about. Excess spending and an economic collapse, losing our constitutional rights and sacrificing our morals and values as a nation. Because of this slow transformation in our beliefs and morals, the majority of society believes people are not responsible for their own actions.

The government CAN NOT continue running with the amount of spending its doing. We CAN NOT remain a free nation when our 2nd amendment right is on the line. Once we lose this right it opens up the doors for other rights to be lost. I fear if we continue down this current path with our current "leaders", it will only be a mater of time till America is known as "the land of the once free".

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

***CLICK BELOW TO CHECK OUT MY FJ BUILD***

http://www.bakesfj.com

**FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK**

-BAKER-

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Shake_&_Bake previously said: View Post
In my opinion, I'd say 3 (civil war or martial law) is most likely with the way things are going. If you look throughout history and look at how other great nations have crumbled and are crumbling as we speak, we're heading down the same road. I don't understand their thought process. They are doing the same thing as other nations that have fallen throughout history, but are expecting a different outcome.

We have several issues to worry about. Excess spending and an economic collapse, losing our constitutional rights and sacrificing our morals and values as a nation. Because of this slow transformation in our beliefs and morals, the majority of society believes people are not responsible for their own actions.

The government CAN NOT continue running with the amount of spending its doing. We CAN NOT remain a free nation when our 2nd amendment right is on the line. Once we lose this right it opens up the doors for other rights to be lost. I fear if we continue down this current path with our current "leaders", it will only be a mater of time till America is known as "the land of the once free".

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
1. I wonder if Civil Unrest and fending off neighbors should be in the same category?..
2. ordo ab chao
They want a one world government, to do that they must destroy the great U.S.A. when that is achieved there will be nothing to stop them. That is why they spend carelessly, that is why we are in the U.N. that is why they ship our technology and manufacturing abroad. They want us and the whole world dependent on each other in an effort to consolidate power and the future.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)

+1 for Civil Unrest. Once you turn off the free money, there will be rioting.

Army Green 2011 NSSE (Option Package 3) w/ Tribal Graphics
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)

Wow 3 of 4 for internal distress scenario. That is so scary, we will be fighting each other

Anybody have a different opinion? Like all threads people view but don't post much.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)

I watched the current administrations mouth piece say a couple days ago that there is no need for semi auto weapons period in the US! They don't realize we were afforded these rights to protect ourselves from our own government! To keep us safe from a dictatorship that our ancestors stood up and died for that right. I'm not a gun freak I have some passed down from grandfathers and my dad even bought me a shotgun when I was born what I learned to squirrel hunt with when I was old enough all these plus ones I've purchased I will pass to my boys one day. I understand that there are just as many families that are not gun owners or gun lovers its their right to not have them same that its my right to enjoy firearms in a safe way. I don't run around saying you don't have a gun you must have one in your home don't run around saying because we have firearms we have to give them up. Why blame the tool a f'ing nutcase used to harm people and not the nutcase that caused the harm. All the great countries throughout history have fallen from within. I really think unfortunately we will be the same way.

Last edited by Andy07; 12-21-2012 at 04:53 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 04:52 PM

Andy07. Id have to agree with you!

Sent from my PG41200 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2008 - 6MT
SwissArmy foglights
KC 8inch driving lights
SpiderTrax
285/70 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Icon coilovers (Front) & Springs (rear)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
ToyetiSarus previously said: View Post
7. Solar flair
Thanks in advance to everyone that participates.
FLAIR:

FLARE:

But seriously, put me down for civil unrest or natural disaster as the most likely SHTF scenarios.

Life's a Journey, Enjoy the Ride...

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Emergency Preparedness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in