#1 · (Edited)
EDIT:

Kit completed!

Here's what I managed to get inside of it:

General Purpose
6.5 yards of Twine (approx)
5 small rubber bands
2 large rubber bands
3 small ziplock baggies (holds the fishing and sewing kits)
Pocket size LED light
Fresnel lens for magnification

Navigation
20mm Compass

Hunting
3.5 yards of Snare Wire (approx)

Cooking
12"x18" Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
2 razor blades

Fire
Coleman Wire Saw
5 waterproof matches
2 waterproof/windproof matches
2 pieces of Quik Tinder
1 large match with firestarter impregnated into the body
Striker pad

Fishing Kit
5.5 yards of 50lb test fishing line (approx)
Crappy Hook
Bass Hook
Catfish Hook
5 weights - 2 large, 3 small

Sewing Kit
1 pre-threaded needle
2 spare needles
3 safety pins
roll of thread

First Aid
2 standard size bandaids w/ Antibiotic Ointment
2 butterfly bandages

I ended up with a lot of extra of anything, so in the end I wound up with an extra 30 kits that I'll probably never use

See less See more
#2 ·
In think that's a pretty good kit. The contents will vary based on personal need but it seems it has the essentials.

I wouldn't use an altoids tin because its not waterproof, but the same idea with a little pelican box is similar to what I carry.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
I wouldn't use an Altoids can either because same reason and it will rust. A small plastic water proof case would be ideal.

Other than that, it's a great idea to have little kits like this laying around. It's better to be prepared and never need it than need it and not have it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Yeah, I know. It's not perfect by any means, but it's cheap! My thought for waterproofing would be to seal it with a silicone bead for long term storage, then crack it open when I needed it. Yeah, I'd ruin the seal that way but it's so small I could put it in a zip lock baggie or whatever once it's been opened.

Plus I've got about 30 of them in my garage.

#8 ·
Very cool idea. I totally agree about the rust thing. Even if you put it in a plastic bag, there's already enough moisture and air in there for it to rust eventually, isn't there?

There are lots of sealable, plastic food containers in the kitchen section at the stores. I wonder if there's anything in that department that's small enough (I'm thinking of this area of products, simply because they can be pretty cheap).

They can be handy, and come in stainless as well. I have one on each of the knives I carry in the woods.
I see the photos, but can you explain (words or photo) what you men by "on each of the knives"? I'd like to know/see how they are attached or whatever.

Nice little kit. You might check Otterbox for a waterproof container. I got one for some stuff that's just a bit bigger than that box for like $10 if you want to go that way. Another thing you could use is a vacuum sealer if you have one or access to one. You could put all of the stuff into it and seal it and then put it into your box, or seal the whole box with it.
I was going to suggest an OtterBox. I have one that I keep my best survival tool (an old mobile phone; not officially 'activated', but can still make 911 calls) in for emergencies in my vehicle. I actually have another one too, and I may do this Altoids Tin Kit idea with it...

#7 ·
Nice little kit. You might check Otterbox for a waterproof container. I got one for some stuff that's just a bit bigger than that box for like $10 if you want to go that way. Another thing you could use is a vacuum sealer if you have one or access to one. You could put all of the stuff into it and seal it and then put it into your box, or seal the whole box with it.

#9 ·
I think the rust issue is a moot point, because I think this would be mostly for carrying on your person, or maybe in your desk at work. I've got a BOB, and some stuff at home, but the best survival kit you have is the one you keep on you, or have easy access too.

#11 ·
The waterproof soft bags are great too if you want the kit in a more compact container. This is what I'm using currently and I place my survival kit in the jack compartment.

It also won't bang around being in a soft bag. I have the smallest size but not pink! :lol:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#18 ·
The waterproof soft bags are great too if you want the kit in a more compact container. This is what I'm using currently and I place my survival kit in the jack compartment.

It also won't bang around being in a soft bag. I have the smallest size but not pink! :lol:[/IMG]

I like this idea. I suppose those particular things are much more than the price of a tin of Altoids though, eh?
A couple of small plastic containers I can think of right off are the ones for holding a full sized bar of soap when camping/traveling, and the small bowl like a Rubbermaid that is for putting a normal sandwich in like for a lunchbox. I don't know how well the soap ones seal, but the bowls seal just like any other Rubbermaid.
Thanks.

I'm thinking about making up a few of these kits for myself. As I've been shopping, I've noticed that a lot of these materials are available in bulk, like 24 compasses for $5, matches, quick tinder, foil, sewing stuff, etc.

Would anyone be interested in a kit? Final cost TBD.
Since I don't have much now, something like this would at least be something.
Kind of depends on how much they will be.

p.s. Sorry if I never responded to your PM. I thought I did, but now I don't see my responses in my sent items. Doh!

#12 · (Edited)
Most of us have different thoughts and ideas on survival readiness, these are my thoughts and practices. This is based on having been a might bit confused for a few days once, and the changes I made to my ready kit.

A little kit like that is better than nothing. However, unless you are reckless you should in most cases have your ruck (BOB, day pack) with you. My survival kit is a Canadian military mess kit loaded, and wrapped in a few zip locks. It lives in the bottom of my pack. In day to day life I always have at least 3 knives (large and small leatherman tool, and a good stabby knife), a lighter, small flashlight and a length of paracord on my person. In the bush I add a whistle.

Unless it is something you can always have on you it isn't much good. As for the waterproofness of the Altoid case, pack it, wrap it in plastic, and duct tape it. Keep it on you, and never open it unless you need it or are changing the contents. Personally I wouldnt bother with such a small kit, like I said, most of that stuff is in my pockets every day.

When I am hunting, I never leave the FJ without my pack, EVER. When fishing it is always on me. As such so is my survival kit. In the very unlikely event I loose my pack, I still have loads of usefull items in my pocket and around my neck. I like redundancy built into my survivability.

Remember, you can get lost or face a survival situation mere minutes from your vehicle or camp..... Be Prepared as the boy scouts say.

those are my thoughts.

#13 ·
Most of us have different thoughts and ideas on survival readiness, these are my thoughts and practices. This is based on having been a might bit confused for a few days once, and the changes I made to my ready kit.

A little kit like that is better than nothing. However, unless you are reckless you should in most cases have your ruck (BOB, day pack) with you. My survival kit is a Canadian military mess kit loaded, and wrapped in a few zip locks. It lives in the bottom of my pack. In day to day life I always have at least 3 knives (large and small leatherman tool, and a good stabby knife), a lighter, small flashlight and a length of paracord on my person. In the bush I add a whistle.

Unless it is something you can always have on you it isn't much good. As for the waterproofness of the Altoid case, pack it, wrap it in plastic, and duct tape it. Keep it on you, and never open it unless you need it or are changing the contents. Personally I wouldnt bother with such a small kit, like I said, most of that stuff is in my pockets every day.

When I am hunting, I never leave the FJ without my pack, EVER. When fishing it is always on me. As such so is my survival kit. In the very unlikely event I loose my pack, I still have loads of usefull items in my pocket and around my neck. I like redundancy built into my survivability.

those are my thoughts.
I agree with everything you just said. I have a couple similarly provisioned packs at home and in my wifes car. We just moved from San Francisco to Colorado, and I made sure we were provisioned while we were there, mainly because of the risk of an earthquake or something else that would prevent us from getting home. I wanted to have packs at work, in the car, at home, etc...

Trouble was, I'd go out to lunch in SF. Not a big deal, but I'd walk a few blocks from my office. I didn't have a work BOB, but if I did, I would've left it at the office. My only accessible BOB was in my FJ, which was 20 miles from me at a Subway station. The other, at home, was 35-40 miles away. Whats the use in being prepped if you're not close to your items when you really need them?

Thats where this pocket kit comes into mind, for me at least. I would take it with me when I went camping, fishing, hiking... but only as an add-on to my larger pack.

#14 ·
yeah yeah yeah, I know its small and you can't get a lot in it, but I'm thinking these might be a great idea to just have and maybe stash in a few places. What do you guys think? Ok as is, or add something and take something else out?

Altoid Tin Survival Kit
You can also track down large altoid tins ....

Giant Altoids Tin

They're occasionally on ebay as well, though you'll prob pay a lot for an empty metal box.

#17 ·
I'm thinking about making up a few of these kits for myself. As I've been shopping, I've noticed that a lot of these materials are available in bulk, like 24 compasses for $5, matches, quick tinder, foil, sewing stuff, etc.

Would anyone be interested in a kit? Final cost TBD.

#22 ·
a previous poster mentioned the OtterBox- I use this as well for a similar small-emergency kit. should be able to fit everything in that altoid box into this "OtterBox". Id save up another $10 and buy this instead of altoids. at least it's watertight(down to 100ft) and has a locking tab. If you do buy one, i'd suggest go for one of the brightly colored ones- in a real situation of survival or stress, you will want something that is easily noticeable!

only $13 on amazon. you should be able to find a place locally that sell's it as well. ive seen them at my local verizon wireless store(although they are much more expensive retail)

#23 ·
^^^^ Yep. That's the one I keep my phone in. Nice to see them so relatively less expensive these days. It's a nice little case for sure.

#24 ·
G'day Shack,
Sorry for my ignorance... Is the tin empty... And the idea is you package up things you think you need ? Or is it a packaged item you can buy?

Secondly, if you we're to make up a few kits I'd be interested in a couple of kits.

Thanks heaps,
Cheers
Baz

#25 ·
Baz, this is a set I'd be composing for myself and others. Many of the items I'd be sourcing are only available in bulk, like the 20mm compasses, matches, etc. My idea is to build myself a few kits and sell off the rest as I won't need them. I've already started sourcing stuff, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

#31 ·
^ Sounds good. The items that would really affect the price are the pocket saw, water purification tablets and the magnesium fire striker. I'd like the kit to mirror the one in field and stream as best I can, but those 3 items would likely add $8-10 to each kit, pushing it closer to $30

#33 ·
I just read this thread out of curiosity and thought I'd add my two cents...

If you were to use just the Altoid case and waterproofing is a question and keeping the contents dry as well may I suggest sealing it all in beeswax and adding a few aspirin and a non-lubricated condom in the case. Aspirin would naturally suck out additional moisture in the air as you close it. Plus it's a cheap cure all for a lot of little things. I would also suggest a small wad of cotton or a tampon cut in two. The ends of the tampon could be used to plug a gunshot wound temporarily or you could spread the cotton out and it would make great tinder. The surrounding waterproofing beeswax can also be used as an accelerator fuel for the cotton if things were really bad. The condom as funny as it may seem can hold up to a liter of water when you have no other containers. Then just plop the whole deal within a ziploc or two which could also have a plethora of uses i.e. waterproofer, container, fuel accelerant. With those items and a few of the other items previously mentioned, you have a pocket survival kit.

#35 ·
just an update. Pieces have been slowly trickling in. The only major things left to source are the candle and the signaling mirror. I'll probably forego adding the magnesium striker, because I just can't find one thats small and cost effective enough to add in the kit.

#36 ·
Just my 2¢, but...

#1, don't plug a gs wound with a tampon. Use pressure on the surface. If you put a tampon in the hole you're most likely introducing infectious material with it. You will also have to remove it at some point which will pull the clot out with it, placing you back at square one...stopping the bleeding. As a general rule, DON'T PUT THINGS IN HOLES.

#2. If you're going to assemble a survival kit, assemble 2 identical ones. Take one out and use EVERYTHING (ok, you know what the aspirin does) in it in an environment you'd expect to use it in, i.e. start a fire in the rain or snow, use the saw, catch fish with what you have on hand, snare something, purify water, navigate ANYWHERE helpful both with and without a compass, and so on. Keep in mind, there are ways to do ALL of these things without a kit and WITH a little practice, such as using 2 sticks and 2 pebbles to find true north. It's DIRELY important to know what you're using because WHEN (not if) it fails you don't want it to destroy your morale. If you know how it can fail you know what to expect.

I prefer learning things that don't require a kit for the simple reason of the possibility of losing your equipment, even if it's strapped to you or in a pocket. Kits are great, but prepare YOURSELF first and make the kit a luxury. Believe me, if the time comes for it, you'll understand exactly what I mean.:ninja:

#37 ·
I totally agree with your advice here....especially the part about preparing yourself.

However, it doesn't necessarily need to be one or the other. So, while I am working on education and training, I will also carry equipment. :cheers:

#40 · (Edited)
Kit completed!

Here's what I managed to get inside of it:

General Purpose
6.5 yards of Twine (approx)
5 small rubber bands
2 large rubber bands
3 small ziplock baggies (holds the fishing and sewing kits)
Pocket size LED light
Fresnel lens for magnification

Navigation
20mm Compass

Hunting
3.5 yards of Snare Wire (approx)

Cooking
12"x18" Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
2 razor blades

Fire
Coleman Wire Saw
5 waterproof matches
2 waterproof/windproof matches
2 pieces of Quik Tinder
1 large match with firestarter impregnated into the body
Striker pad

Fishing Kit
5.5 yards of 50lb test fishing line (approx)
Crappy Hook
Bass Hook
Catfish Hook
5 weights - 2 large, 3 small

Sewing Kit
1 pre-threaded needle
2 spare needles
3 safety pins
roll of thread

First Aid
2 standard size bandaids w/ Antibiotic Ointment
2 butterfly bandages

I ended up with a lot of extra of anything, so in the end I wound up with an extra 30 kits that I'll probably never use

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.