Car-B-Que and Fire Extinguishers - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Emergency Preparedness This forum is for discussions of emergency preparedness, including wilderness first aid and survival, emergency communication, search and rescue operations, natural disasters and general self-sufficiency.

84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Car-B-Que and Fire Extinguishers

I carry a small marine grade fire extinguisher from Menard's. Never had to use it, hope I never do. I haven't found a good surface to mount it to where it's reachable from the front seats, so it's temporarily living in the back seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 12:13 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2613 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

For those looking for an easy mount location, I've stumbled across this bracket made specifically for the FJ to mount a fire extinguisher in the back. Here it is
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)

Quote:
FJ_nurse previously said: View Post
Hi all,

I live in Arizona and car fires aren't uncommon here...sadly.
My question is where would I purchase a fire extinguisher that is appropriate for my vehicle?
The rating A, B, C or all type of fire extinguishing...size and then proper storage. Given that temperatures here reach 117 easy...not considering the temperature inside the vehicle.

Thank you!!
Hi Nicole, welcome to the forum, good question. What I would suggest is drop by one of your local fire departments and talk with the experts. They can help you select the correct type and size of extinguisher but more importantly show you how to most effectively use one. Incorrect use can waste valuable product and time that could make the difference in a successful extinguish.
BTW thank you for choosing to be a nurse.
Winterpeg, amaclach and FJ_nurse like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2885 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
rotorhed1 previously said: View Post
I spent much more for a CO2 extinguisher that is mounted in the rear. Less clean-up if I ever need to use it. Also I have a small one up front that is dry chemical and 1 that is Halon. That one was removed from an aircraft.
Gas based extinguishers are a waste of time on a fuel fire - they just spread the burning fuel even further. The point is to put the fire out, keep it out, & save lives. Dry powder is perfect for that - it's messy & it'll corrode the metal in your car, but that's better than it smouldering on the side of the road with your kids in the back...
In these parts, it's the law for all cars to carry a dry powder extinguisher in reach of the driver. It's generally included in the sale of the vehicle and includes a first aid kit, a torch & warning triangle (also compulsory).

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 01:05 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7039 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
L68SWEET previously said: View Post
Speaking as someone who has had an RV-B-Que, I don't know that an extinguisher will really stop a serious fire. Mine sure did not, it only put it out for a few seconds before it sparked back to life and caused an inferno that shut down a 4 lane interstate.
I was on vacation up in N ID and went for a day trip where I had to cross over a pass on the way. We got there about 3 minutes after a big Class C motor home had pulled over at the top and was on fire. In 2 more minutes it was basically completely gone. We left and went on our way and on the way back it happened again only this time it was a big Class A and it took about 2 minutes longer to be completely gone. Later on in the week I passed by the aftermath of a Semi Truck fire on the way home. None of them were pretty.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 01:06 PM
Desert Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Speaking as someone who has had an RV-B-Que, I don't know that an extinguisher will really stop a serious fire. Mine sure did not, it only put it out for a few seconds before it sparked back to life and caused an inferno that shut down a 4 lane interstate.
I'm gonna guess that was a CO2 extinguisher, right?
At least there wasn't any chemical cleanup to worry about...

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Desert Moderator

Garage

Quote:
WaJohnZ previously said: View Post
Hi Nicole, welcome to the forum, good question. What I would suggest is drop by one of your local fire departments and talk with the experts. They can help you select the correct type and size of extinguisher but more importantly show you how to most effectively use one. Incorrect use can waste valuable product and time that could make the difference in a successful extinguish.
BTW thank you for choosing to be a nurse.
^^ Best advice yet from @WaJohnZ - ask them to demo CO2 v ABC powder or AFFF on a fuel fire.

Have a look at this:

http://www.mfs-fire-extinguishers.co.uk/types.htm

FJ_nurse likes this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Last edited by amaclach; 08-22-2015 at 01:35 PM.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
amaclach previously said: View Post
I'm gonna guess that was a CO2 extinguisher, right?
At least there wasn't any chemical cleanup to worry about...
Chemical cleanup? Do you mean the foam that the fire department used to put it out? I think the fire department may have hosed the site down afterwards to clean that up.

Or the fact that the RV was reduced to a pile of melted motorhome parts and towed away by a wrecking company, with no clean up on my part?

It was spectacular fire with flames shooting at least 15 feet above the roof of my former RV. Thankfully it was a rear pusher motorhome, so I had plenty of time to exit, once I saw the temp gauge spike. Had I been able to stop the blaze with the extinguisher, there would have been minimal damage. However, as I mentioned, it was a very hot engine block and after the flames went out, the fire sparked back to life after a few seconds. A trucker tried with another extinguisher (or two, I cannot remember) and he was not able to stop the fire either. So, we simply watched it burn.

Here it is after about 10 minutes, prior to the fire department arriving.

Last edited by L68SWEET; 08-22-2015 at 02:09 PM.
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Desert Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Chemical cleanup? Do you mean the foam that the fire department used to put it out? I think the fire department may have hosed the site down afterwards to clean that up.

Or the fact that the RV was reduced to a pile of melted motorhome parts and towed away by a wrecking company, with no clean up on my part?

It was spectacular fire with flames shooting at least 15 feet above the roof of my former RV. Thankfully it was a rear pusher motorhome, so I had plenty of time to exit, once I saw the temp gauge spike. Had I been able to stop the blaze with the extinguisher, there would have been minimal damage. However, as I mentioned, it was a very hot engine block and after the flames went out, the fire sparked back to life after a few seconds. A trucker tried with another extinguisher (or two, I cannot remember) and he was not able to stop the fire either. So, we simply watched it burn.
That sucks sorry for the loss of your RV, but glad no-one was hurt...

You missed my sarcasm - My point is that criticism of powder extinguishers is stupid - yeah they're messy, but they work extremely well. Gas based (CO2) extinguishers will allow the fire to re-flare easily. Powder tends to extinguish faster & more effectively & coats everything & makes a re-flare much less likely.

When I was at University I pumped gas for money - we had compulsory hands-on fire training and I can say from experience (from the training and from a real fire) that CO2 is next to useless, and that ABC powder is the sh!t if you want to put out a fire.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Last edited by amaclach; 08-22-2015 at 02:20 PM.
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 02:29 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7039 Post(s)
Garage

Those water filled extinguishers that can be pressurized are awesome......................as squirt guns. I had an old one that was chrome and it held about 3 gallons of water and you could pressurize it with an air compressor or even a bicycle pump (the old style that you stepped on the feet of and then pumped the handle and they were a couple of feet long.) It would shoot one hell of a stream of water and empty itself in a short amount of tie if you held the handle down. Worked great for putting out campfires too.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Emergency Preparedness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in