Moab Junky's Adventures - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
En Route or Completed Expeditions This is for reports and photos from the road or of completed expeditions

162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Moab Junky's Adventures

Here I will post pics and info about some of the adventures we have enjoyed in our 2010 FJ Cruiser. I will try to accurately describe the trails and the amount of difficulty we encountered so that it may be beneficial to other members. Please feel free to ask questions, ask for directions, comments or add your own experiences on these particular trails or areas in here at any time.

Current mods: 3" lift. Tires are 285/70/17 BFG AT's. Everything else is stock. FJ does have a rear locking differential.

This is where we spent our first night in our 2010 FJ. We pulled in late at night so were not picky about the perfect spot. This is in the Mill Canyon area just south of the Moab airport. There are lots of super off road opportunities in this area.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc02935.jpg

This is in Long Canyon, just north west of Moab. A very easy trail, but beautiful and worth the trip. We did this and Gemini Bridges the same day.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc02941.jpg

A view nearing the top of Long Canyon.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc02939.jpg

Enjoying the desert north of Grand Junction, Colorado.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc02949.jpg

Elk hunting in the Colorado high country. I slept in the back three nights in a row. Low temps between 10 and 25 degrees. My water bottles inside the FJ did not freeze.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03345.jpg

This is on the potash/ Schaefer Switchback trail just N.W. of Moab, looking down on the Colorado River. This is where they filmed part of the movie, Thelma and Louise. This trail is very easy. The switchbacks are tight and steep, but a Subaru could easily do it.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03111.jpg

And the other direction.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03112.jpg

The bluff in the distance is Dead Horse Point. This photo was taken from the same place as the two previous.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03114.jpg

Our FJ was not the biggest kid on the block.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03126.jpg

Running Dome Plateau trail, just N.E. of Moab with forum members Sweptwingnut. The hi tech pics were taken by them. This trail is quite easy with 3 inches of lift. Lots of side roads, so GPS is helpful.
Moab Junky's Adventures-i-mtt8nxn-x2.jpg

Posing on the slick rock. Fanny dragging.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03380.jpg

Laboca Arch. Getting here was the hardest part of the trail.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03406.jpg

This was probably the most challenging obstacle on the entire trail.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03408.jpg

Some neat old houses near some mines built out of rail road ties.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03421.jpg

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03428.jpg

A gravel pile calling my name. Three attempts to get on top. Real loose.
Moab Junky's Adventures-i-3n4jtvn-x2.jpg

Last edited by Moab Junky; 04-06-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)
Re: Moab Junky's Adventures

These pictures were taken around Ouray Colorado. These were taken on our way to Yankee Boy Basin. Very easy trail but thrilling just the same. A must do and see trail.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03258.jpg

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03259.jpg

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03261.jpg

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03263.jpg

Camping that night on Red Mountain Pass.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03270.jpg

We went back up to Ouray two weeks later, which happened to be the fourth of July. Another memorable camp out. We really sleep well in the back of the FJ.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03213.jpg

We do a fair amount of hiking and exploring old mining sites. We thought this old wooden pipe was pretty neat. It goes to show if there is a will there is a way.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03215.jpg

A beautiful view as we headed up Engineer pass trail. This road was quite easy but did have a few tight switchbacks that were relatively steep and rocky. Nothing a stock FJ couldn't handle though.

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03221.jpg

57 degrees on the 4th of July. It was in the 90's just two hours away at home.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03228.jpg

Lots of snow, simply breathtaking views.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03229.jpg

Did I mention the plethora of snow???
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03232.jpg

The top!
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03235.jpg

And heading down, we found MORE snow!!!
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03240.jpg

We were going to watch the fireworks show in Lake City and find a place to park and sleep in the back but it was raining buckets. I got soaked airing the tires back up. We went all the way to Blue Mesa Reservoir and slept there. Another fun night in the back of the FJ. It is so nice not to have to drop cash on a hotel unless we choose to do so.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03247.jpg

The bugs were a bit thick so we put in our screens.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03245.jpg

Last edited by Moab Junky; 03-14-2015 at 07:12 PM.
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

This brings us up to this weekend in Moab. We have made some improvements to the FJ in the last month or so. I built front and rear bumpers. A rear slider. Installed some Rigid D2 lights. Still no skids.

To see the details go here;

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ld-thread.html

These were taken on 3/7/15. The trail was Chicken Corners. We have always wanted to explore this area more, yesterday we did just that. The trail was very easy. We saw two stock FJ's on it and they were having no trouble at all. We chose a more difficult line a few times, but that was optional.

The top of Hurrah Pass.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03764.jpg

This is looking down into the valley we are about to descend into.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03769.jpg

The trail is plenty wide, beautiful, but cliff ridden. Common sense, and low gears will get you down without heating up your brakes. We used 4 lo to keep it slow. Gosh I like being able to see the front tires now. What a drastic change in appearance and abilities.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03775.jpg

Here is a view of where we are heading.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03783.jpg

Here you see the snow capped LaSalle Mountain tops to the east.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03798.jpg

Here we are coming up on Chicken Corners. The river is straight below us. No drinking and driving on this trail fellas.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03802.jpg

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03804.jpg

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03809.jpg

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03811.jpg

Not a bad spot for lunch. This is straight across the river from the Thelma and Louise cliff I showed you earlier. I think the network of roads out here is simply amazing. Hats off to the State of Utah for allowing us to "Tread Lightly" in this beautiful back country. And many thanks to all those who do so much to help keep these trails open. ( Blue Ribbon Coalition and Red Rock 4 Wheelers just to name a couple!!)

Also I feel BIG props are due to all of you!!! I've been going to Moab quite regularly for the past decade. Lots and lots of people frequent these trails. Usually when lots of people are involved, one finds lots of trash strewn about. These trails are clean as can be. I know some dirt bags litter here and there, but it's folks like you and I who pick up trash when we see it that keeps these trails open and looking so pristine.

Another thing that is great to see is the lack of tire tracks "out of bounds." Props again for staying on the trail. There are misinformed morons out there, trying vehemently to get these lands closed off to our kind of recreation. Keeping in bounds and picking up after the slobs will speak volumes in our favor. Thanks Folks!!

Anyway, on this trail we saw a few folks out here but generally speaking had the place all to ourselves. Special day.

I don't have to be spinning my wheels to have a good time in my FJ.

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03820.jpg

The butte above the FJ is Dead Horse Point, once again. We are straight across the river/canyon from where we were the other day.

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03831.jpg

What a big, beautiful place. We love it out there. Beautiful views, 360 degrees.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03838.jpg

Last edited by Moab Junky; 12-05-2015 at 12:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

This was an ugly spot. Yes there was a bypass, but sometimes you just have to see what the old girl can do. We did not air the tires down and I forgot to lock the rear diff, but made it up without much drama at all. I was quite impressed. We didn't drag or rub a thing.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03857.jpg
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03860.jpg

The thing in the front hitch is my rear slider. Didn't need it for this trail and couldn't think of a better place to carry it. I did remove the rear step just before climbing this.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03862.jpg

Believe it or not, there is a bed and breakfast out here in the middle of no where. We had no idea it existed. I read some of the reviews and it seems like a great place owned and ran by great people. Pretty cool you have to off road over 20 miles to get to it. It's called Base Camp and is located right on the Colorado River. You can drive or float to it from Moab. They will get you back to town.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...h.html#REVIEWS

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03866.jpg

Making our way back up the windy road.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03870.jpg

The end of a long but rewarding day in the FJ. Now we are off to find a quiet place to sleep in the back! I have a feeling that won't be hard at all.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03871.jpg

This Toyota has been a joy to own, work on, modify and drive. It has taken us a lot of neat places. That being said, we have owned it for 11 months and have only put 3200 miles on it so far. It currently has 28,000 miles on the clock! We save it for adventures and put our commuting miles on our car. Kind of like using the right tool for the job. The FJ is definitely the right tool for our type of weekend adventures.

Last edited by Moab Junky; 05-26-2015 at 04:00 PM.
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

This morning we decided to try and make it all the way to I-70 without touching pavement once we left Hwy 313 just north of Moab. We looked at our Wells book and decided to take the Rainbow Terrace trail. It's located N.W. of Moab about 15 miles.

This trail has a couple ugly spots that could be challenging for those that aren't lifted. We didn't drag at all but it was close.

The scenery is breathtaking, to us at least. The junipers, red rocks, dead cedars, sand and huge boulders are pretty cool.

Here we are at the beginning of the trail.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03874.jpg

Here's a look at where we are heading first.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03875.jpg

If you like big rocks you would love this trail.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03880.jpg

A few small ledges to descend and ascend.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03884.jpg

I love the look of "nothing" behind the rear tires. No worries while dropping off ledges.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03886.jpg

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03887.jpg

We had this trail all to ourselves. Didn't hear or see a soul. Temps were in the 30's when we woke up. We stayed warm sleeping in the back of the FJ. They rose to the 60's around 2 pm. Perfect weather.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03889.jpg

Here we are dropping into a wash. Getting out was a bit harder.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03891.jpg

These pictures make this stuff look like the Walmart parking lot. I know this trail is considered moderate. A person could drag his belly if he didn't choose the right line, but exercising a little good judgment and most stock SUV's should be able to get through it unscathed. However, a little lift goes a long way.

We still do not have any skids mounted so we are taking it easy. That being said, Even with full armor I will avoid trails like Steel Bender, Metal Masher, Poison Spider and the like. I've been on those rough rocky trails. I just don't think they are much fun anymore. I enjoy moving a bit faster, seeing a bit more country and I have a few fillings I'd like to keep. Anywho, let's see if we can get out of this wash. There are only two options. Neither super easy for a vehicle that has never drug his belly.

Here is the approach of the harder route.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03898.jpg

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03894.jpg

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03896.jpg

The next ledge is a bit easier.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03902.jpg
GREGFJ and Thorn661 like this.

Last edited by Moab Junky; 05-26-2015 at 04:02 PM.
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Another good sized ledge.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03904.jpg

A little more gas and up we go!! Really didn't spin a tire on this trail, not yet anyway. Some fun sandy stuff up ahead.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03906.jpg

More huge boulders. We stopped here for some breakfast.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03907.jpg

Our little dog stops to catch her breath. So far she has chased two rabbits and a half dozen lizards. She's beat. Her and Mom walked most of the trail so far.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03908.jpg

I know this trail would bore most of you guys to tears, but we really got a kick out of it. After breakfast we relaxed on one of these gargantuas rocks and let the sun beat down on us for a while.

Again, not even the sound of a motorbike in the distance. And they call this public lands??? Man I love living in the West!!!
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03910.jpg

The last of the rocks.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03913.jpg
GREGFJ likes this.

Last edited by Moab Junky; 04-18-2015 at 06:43 PM.
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

We followed this shelf and dropped off onto the desert floor for some faster driving. I guess there were a couple more rocks, lol.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03912.jpg

Time for some fun in the sand.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03915.jpg

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03916.jpg

This trail was quite fun. It climbed in and out of this wash quite a few times. It's funny. Here and there I could see where other vehicles were having difficulty and where their tires were hopping in the sand. This FJ of ours remained planted, on course, spinning only when I wanted it to, and it never once hopped like poorly suspended 4x4's do.

We didn't even air down for this trail and this thing was still AMAZING in this deep sand. I even took it out of 4 lo so I could try to have a little more fun. This FJ with the manual tranny and all time four wheel drive handled this terrain with ease. I quit trying to drift it about, it was just too planted.

Hats off to Icon and BFG AT's!! Hats off to Toyota

An Auto, in 2WD equipped with long arms and those huge coil overs you guys are running would have been a gas in this sand. The sandy road had lots of whoops in it and it was quite steep getting in and out of the wash.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03918.jpg

We had about 15 miles of this to scoot through, so scoot we did. Some places the road was washed out and the ruts were 3 feet deep. This kept us on our toes.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03917.jpg

Last edited by Moab Junky; 08-30-2015 at 08:26 AM.
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

We came to a sign that said, "Hi way 191 turn right." My goal was to hit I-70 w/o touching pavement, so left we went. At times this dirt road was going S.W. so we were in fact back tracking so to speak. It ended up going predominately N.W though. We do not have a fancy GPS so not sure which road we were on. I knew if it went north at all we would hit I-70.

After all this off-roading, we were still over 3/4's of a tank of fuel. These FJ's do great on gas when you aren't pushing air at 70-80 mph. After about 15 miles we came to a fork in the road. It said "White Wash Sand Dunes". I've always wanted to check them out, so South we went. Ten miles later we found this.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03920.jpg

The dog was really "DIGGING" it!
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03925.jpg

We went for a hike.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03924.jpg

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03929.jpg

I think we will do some camping here next month. Hope you enjoyed the photos.
After checking out the sand dunes we headed back north. After 13 miles of dirt road our tires hit the pavement, yes, it was I-70. We did it.

I'll post more pictures here when our FJ takes us on our next adventure!!!

Thanks for looking. Happy Trails Folks.

Last edited by Moab Junky; 03-10-2015 at 01:39 PM.
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 02:10 AM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7039 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Nice photos. They really make me miss my trips to Moab. If those are the dunes I'm thinking of there is a trail off of them that ends up at Crystal Geyers not far from Green River. It's been awhile since I've been up that way though.
Moab Junky likes this.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
BIGGUY previously said: View Post
Nice photos. They really make me miss my trips to Moab. If those are the dunes I'm thinking of there is a trail off of them that ends up at Crystal Geyers not far from Green River. It's been awhile since I've been up that way though.
Thanks. I think you are correct. I know the geyser is just south of GR. We have never been there. I've heard people wait hours and hours for it to spout off. We were just a bit east of there. Yesterday we asked some Utah guys if there were any more dunes. They didn't know of any.

I'm thinking about pulling the bikes down there in a month and doing some camping. Might have to order some fresh paddle tires.

Come on down BIGGUY!!

LAKE POWELL:

This trip is out of order but a great trip and the FJ once again was the perfect vehicle to take. I pulled our little boat to the lake for some camping and fishing. The FJ scooted just fine at hwy speeds pulling the load.

We ran into some rain which made things a little interesting. I had tire chains with me but was too lazy to put them on. After sliding about I wished I would have put them on. This road was 13 miles long and had some nasty drop offs here and there. We didn't run into a single vehicle on our way in or out. Getting stuck out here would have been really bad.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03282.jpg

Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03283.jpg

See what I mean.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03285.jpg

When I say drop offs, I mean DROP OFFS. This road was all clay in all the wrong places.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03284.jpg

Like most of Southern Utah, the views were absolutely spectacular.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03281.jpg

After the dangerous sections were behind us and the skies began to get brighter, we started having fun.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03279.jpg
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03280.jpg

We found the perfect camping spot.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03273.jpg

Some mice....I do believe I built a better mouse trap. Two large pieces of flat sand stone, 20 feet of Para chord and a 4 inch long stick.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03275.jpg

And a boat load of striped bass. An awesome Father Son outing.
Moab Junky's Adventures-dsc03298.jpg
Thorn661 likes this.

Last edited by Moab Junky; 11-29-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Expeditions > En Route or Completed Expeditions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in