Northern Colorado expedition (completed) - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
En Route or Completed Expeditions This is for reports and photos from the road or of completed expeditions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Northern Colorado expedition (completed)

Looks like a great trip. Hope to read the write up soon.

Sponge Bob 2007 Sun Fusion , All Pro front winch bumper w/light hoop, 16 TRD Wheels, 285/75r16 BFG A/T ko's, OME 3" lift 885 front 895 rear, ARB Roof Rack with 2 IPF 868 Light Kits up front, KC Back Up flood lights in rear,Bud Built skid plates, Trail Gear rock rails, Hella horns, PIAA Headlights, PIAA Dome lights, PIAA Back up light, MPAC side HD rack, MPAC Straddle, MPAC rear door HD rack, Gobi ladder, Cobra 75 WXST CB, more mods to come. TLCA #3970

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER world's toughest all purpose 4-wheel-drive vehicle! You can follow me but it's gonna HURT!!

www.spongebobsadventures.shutterfly.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:48 PM
FJ Expeditions R Us

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Lee,

Looks like you guys had a wonderful trip! That Lefty is awesome! It is on my wish list!

cheers,

dale

Happy Trails!
TLCA #17625

LOS TRES AMIGOS IN MEXICO

2013 ARMY GREEN--A/T

INSTALLED: BFG TA/ko Tires - M-Pac system - Rock Rails - ARB Roof Rack - ARB Fridge/Freezer - Gobi Ladder -All Pro APex rear bumper - All Pro Lower Links - All-Pro Lower link skids - Bud Built Skids - AT Cooler - Rear Diff Skid - ARB front Bumper with fog lights - Engo E10,000 winch - PRG Snorkel - IPF driving lights - Optima AGM Battery - Painless Dual Battery System - Scuba Driver Mod - Bandi Mount - Yaesu dual band radio - Icom IC-7000 HF - 12v Receptacles - Rock Lights -- Rocktek Shock Armor

To be continued...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to loup407 Send a message via Skype™ to loup407

1911; this is a great writeup...I have a place not far from Kelly Flats and am up there most weekends; have done many of the trails but am not familiar with how to get to the Overland Trail...I saw you couldn't find a map; do you recall any directions on how to get from Old Flowers to the Overland Trail?

also, if you ever get that way again, from the end of Kelly Flats you can go left (downhill) and turn onto Sevenmile, which is a nice easy to moderate trail which will spit you back out onto a road leading to Deadman Road (and Green Ridge).

Thanks again for the writeup and photos

Titanium 4x4 MT6, OF, CQ, UR, black TRD wheels, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, TRD Quikshifter kit, Man-A-Fre skids, Gobi Stealth with Fourtreks Hi-Lift and axe/shovel mounts, Icon coilovers/Icon 2.5 and ToyTec Rear Coils, Firestone airbags, ARB front and rear bumper, Warn VR10000, BFG MT 255/85/16, ARB dual compressor, Cobra 75WXST CB with Bandi Mount, National Luna Dual Battery setup, Man-a-Fre aux fuel tank, sPod electrical management, Toyota Gen 6 Nav system, LED light bar, A/T Horizon trailer, Colorado plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks everyone for reading the report.

Quote:
Woodsman previously said: View Post
Great pics and descriptions 1911. That would be a great route for another western trip for the Woodsman.
If you like the mountains like I do, it was a wonderful trip. A great summer trip to escape the heat of the flatlands. It would be more technically-challenging with some snow or more rain, in the spring or fall.

Quote:
sponge bob previously said: View Post
Looks like a great trip. Hope to read the write up soon.
Thanks; that pretty much is the write-up.

Quote:
w5wi previously said: View Post
Lee,

Looks like you guys had a wonderful trip! That Lefty is awesome! It is on my wish list!

cheers,

dale
Thanks Dale. "Lefty" is the most fun mod I have on my truck. It kept me at or near the back of the group the whole way though because it keeps you so slow in low range. You end up shifting a lot between 4-low and 4-high.

Quote:
loup407 previously said: View Post
1911; this is a great writeup...I have a place not far from Kelly Flats and am up there most weekends; have done many of the trails but am not familiar with how to get to the Overland Trail...I saw you couldn't find a map; do you recall any directions on how to get from Old Flowers to the Overland Trail?

also, if you ever get that way again, from the end of Kelly Flats you can go left (downhill) and turn onto Sevenmile, which is a nice easy to moderate trail which will spit you back out onto a road leading to Deadman Road (and Green Ridge).

Thanks again for the writeup and photos
Congrats on having a place in such beautiful country. My (co-pilot's) notes show that the Overland Trail crossed Old Flowers somewhere, but as that was on the first day of five on this trip, I'm sorry I just don't remember the details. There are a couple of web sites with info on the Overland Trail that focus mostly on the historical aspects. This one: Looking at The Overland Trail--Last updated 02/07/01 has a couple of relatively poor maps that you might be able figure out where they are by comparing with topo maps.

I would like to do this trip or parts of it again in the future, thanks for the suggestion on Sevenmile Trail.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to loup407 Send a message via Skype™ to loup407

1911, thanks...I'll do some homework..it's always cool to find new trails up there. We feel very fortunate to be up there..as you've seen it's off the beaten path and there is a lot to do.
If you ever plan a trip back up that way, let me know!

Titanium 4x4 MT6, OF, CQ, UR, black TRD wheels, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, TRD Quikshifter kit, Man-A-Fre skids, Gobi Stealth with Fourtreks Hi-Lift and axe/shovel mounts, Icon coilovers/Icon 2.5 and ToyTec Rear Coils, Firestone airbags, ARB front and rear bumper, Warn VR10000, BFG MT 255/85/16, ARB dual compressor, Cobra 75WXST CB with Bandi Mount, National Luna Dual Battery setup, Man-a-Fre aux fuel tank, sPod electrical management, Toyota Gen 6 Nav system, LED light bar, A/T Horizon trailer, Colorado plates.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:24 AM
eli
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank You! Just had a chance to look at this . . . must have been a blast.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Great pics and write up Lee, that should get Ace Brown excited about his Continental Divide trip he wants to do. If plans go right I might get to do some of it with him.

The Basque sheepherders were very artistic! I have come across a couple of them up on the Umcompaugre Plauteau that were done in the 1930's according to the forest service ranger. They were apparently prolific as well!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)

Excellant trip report and photos. As I was viewing the photos I realised I knew a few of the folks on that trip. Having done two of Bill Burkes trips I of course know him but also have met Joe, Katrina and Dakota in their JK, Dave and Diane in the D110, and Jim in the 4-Runner. In fact all of the above were repeating on Bill's Grand Mesa trip a few weeks later where we all met. Even the red JK was on an earlier trip with me at Hole in the Rock, but their names are not recalled.

Anyway Bill puts out grand trips and I can't recommend them any higher. Thanks for sharing another one with the FJCF members.

Alan

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm glad this got bumped up as we're moving up to CO in January. I'll keep this filed away for some trips once the snow melts. Thanks.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Ace Brown previously said: View Post
... Even the red JK was on an earlier trip with me at Hole in the Rock, but their names are not recalled.
Chuck and Mary - been on two BB trips/schools with them.

Quote:
Ace Brown previously said: View Post
Anyway Bill puts out grand trips and I can't recommend them any higher.
I agree. I did another one of his trips this year (Hotel Rock to Needles District Canyonlands) with The Woodsman also: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...nyonlands.html

Bill's guided trips are so good that he has lots of repeat customers, hence you tend to make friends that you see again on subsequent trips. I much prefer this kind of wheeling over "event" types with hundreds of trucks too.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by 1911; 12-05-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Expeditions > En Route or Completed Expeditions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in