Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

how about i dont cover the aFe CAI

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  fj_najd 
#1 ·
Ok,

Few days ago i was talking to my friend about buying an afe CAI R5 for my 2008 Fj

Then he told me something strange that he used his TRD CAI without the metal top cover!!
and he felt much power from the engine!

Is this possible ??

Is this why the aFe CAI have a side opening

#2 ·
The cover is there to keep the intake from pulling air from the engine bay. This keeps engine gunk out of your air filter, and also provides colder air, as the air in the engine compartment is bound to be much hotter than the outside air it pulls in through the wheel well.

Without the cover there is less restriction to flow, but I think the tubing from the CAI box to the engine is still the limiting factor, even with the cover on. So I doubt the engine can actually get more air, since it's already pulling as much as it can through the tube.

All that being said, the K&N CAIs are designed without a cover. So if K&N does it I can't imagine it being a problem. I highly doubt you'll hurt anything, go ahead and give it a shot :cheers:

#5 ·
OK I went to a small work shop to change the engine oil and do some checks my self

I found that when the last time I changed the engine Oil at the dealership the monkey who did the oil change added extra Oil like half a litter or more!!
I used it for 5000Km I hope it don't harm the engine :mecry:

I returned the cover for the CAI and closed it but the sound of the CAI is still high!! when I use full throttle the sound level is hiiiiiiii :rocker:

I love it - but the TRD CAI dont have the same loud sound ??

yaah right the SG2 show me today when I was testing the HP that my maximum is 331hp :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.