Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Diff change ?'s

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  1911 
#1 ·
Yes I searched but I didnt find exactly what I was wanting to know. First have any of you compared gear oils you know synthetic vs. dino. Ha ha only kidding I am actually wanting to know if Amsoil is worth the $2 per quart more than Royal Purple.

Secondly I was looking through the manual for the diff capacities and requirements and I wanted to get cofirmation from some of you who have done this already how many quarts I need to buy and more importantly of which weight. The manual lists 75w-90 for the front diff (I have an AT part time 4wd) and then it lists 80w-90 or just SAE 90 for the rear diff. I havent seen much discussion about anything other than 75w-90 and I was wondering if I really need to hunt down the 75, 80, 90 weight, as some of them are going to be much harder to find at local stores. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Can you tell its my first time popping the pumpkin? :bananahump-slvrathl

#2 ·
I am actually wanting to know if Amsoil is worth the $2 per quart more than Royal Purple.

Never used RP gear lube myself, but Amsoil Severe Gear extreme pressure is tits! Never found a better gear lube yet.

Secondly I was looking through the manual for the diff capacities and requirements and I wanted to get cofirmation from some of you who have done this already how many quarts I need to buy

The front diff takes 1.5 quarts and the rear diff takes 3 quarts, so you need to buy 5 quarts to do both.

and more importantly of which weight. The manual lists 75w-90 for the front diff (I have an AT part time 4wd) and then it lists 80w-90 or just SAE 90 for the rear diff. I havent seen much discussion about anything other than 75w-90 and I was wondering if I really need to hunt down the 75, 80, 90 weight, as some of them are going to be much harder to find at local stores. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Can you tell its my first time popping the pumpkin? :bananahump-slvrathl

75w-90 is good for both.

#4 ·
same weight gear oil, be warned though, get that little pump. this is not a simple pour it in operation like engine oil. I am not going to go into details but my attempt at doing it without access to one of those handy pumps was not fun. if it isn't the dumbest thing I do this year I will be on the darwin awards list before the year is out.

#5 ·
Caution on the T-case. I just did my front & rear differentials yesterday (2nd time for rear). I popped open the T-case fill, and some came out, and I'll be damned, I thought for sure what was supposed to go in there was GL-5 gear oil, but what came out of there was light, brown, sweet smelling, and thankfully clean. I buttoned it back up. I had a post back, confused about the "Hypoid GL-3 gear oil" that Toyota was recommending. I am now still confused. I thought it was a typo, but the oil in the T-Case is not GL-5, that's for sure.

Here's my original post

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance-maintenance-tech/16498-possible-error-fj-service-manual-re-part-time-transfer-case-fluid.html?highlight=error+transfer+case

#10 ·
80W90 is dino, 75W90 is synthetic

DEWFPO

#12 ·
Okay, for something helpful here. In the grease section of your automotive store, there is something called a "Suction Gun." It makes adding fluid easier (though still a pain) to your diff's than the cheap plastic pump that you often see.
You'll have to weigh the cost difference for yourself, however. All depends on how often you'll be doing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.