2014 TRD CAI Install Photos - Page 5 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: 2014 TRD CAI Install Photos

Agreed! I am putting one on my 2014 FJ as well because I am a believer in the TRD CAI kit! The TRD Supercharger would really be the bomb!!!!!!!!
Black Talon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Nice video! You sold me! Thanks.
Black Talon likes this.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

^^ I still say get a snorkel Ben. This from a TRD CAI owner.

It's not that it's a bad product, just that a snorkel would be better.
Black Talon likes this.

Black 2010 w/ Offroad & Convenience Packages. TLCA # 21403. Louisiana Land Krewesers. Thanks to Friends for Help!

Icon. Light Racing. All-Pro. Goodyear MT/R. XD-125. BajaRack. Springtail M-PAC. Body Armor. Expedition One. Rugged Ridge. BudBuilt. Richochet. Toy Outfitters. PIAA. Flowmaster. TRD. Demello. Rigid. FourTreks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 60 Post(s)

It is a good looking setup and the Black Talon video was sweet. Mine is coming with the TRD exhaust on it but my dealer also said the CAI is not available. I'm still on the fence about it anyway. If I do install a CAI it will for sure be a TRD.
Black Talon likes this.

14 Cement

Convenience Pkg, off-road Pkg, alloys, Michelin LTX A/T 2 285/70/17 D rated, Daystar 2.5" lift kit, TRD exhaust, roof rack, Demello Offroad round tube sliders pc black, passenger arm rest, & WeatherTech Digitalfit floor liners.

What's next: Playing with the FJ in its first winter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)

Quote:
Black Talon previously said: View Post
No Placebo...watch my video and complete your own test without CAI...then compare the two. You GAIN actual performance increase because you are increasing the air flow (% of O2).
I agree with BT, there is a definite improvement in performance because the filter is less restrictive, more air equals more and better bangs in the combustion chambers!
The engine will definitely wind up very quickly, faster than a stock unit.
If you don't stay 'in it' all the time, fuel economy will be marginally improved, as well. ( not sure BT is getting much economy increase!) LOL!
Make sure that you keep the filter clean and properly oiled.
Also, those shiny Red silicone hoses that allow the hard surfaces to mount together, will deteriorate over time from the heat and the oils that they come in contact with.
On my '07 FJ, the hoses on my TRD CAI developed a almost dry rot condition on the bottom(engine side) of each hose. that looked fine on the top, pretty side.
Had I not caught the condition in time, after about 50K; it the engine would have been sanded, long story short, I would loosen and inspect the hoses and rotate them very 10K.
Another down side for me, is the Cyclonic Dirt Filter on the bottom of the newer stock FJ air boxes that are included on the TRDCAI,
IMHO, this cyclonic filter is the best grit trap known to man, just tap on the top of the air box and see what comes out of the rubber ejector on the bottom of the box- absolutely amazing!!
But then my wife says that I am easily impressed by all things FJ!!
Enjoy the TRDCAI if you decide to get one, they are a breeze to install and they look great!!.
My $.02….gm
Black Talon likes this.

TLCA # 20795
2018 Lexus LX570
2018 Jeep JK Rubicon Recon
2014 FJ TTUE- 1 of 2500
1994 Mustang Cobra Indy Pace Car Convertible 5.0 (Stock)
1986 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab Longbed 5.0 (Stock)
1982 Jeep CJ7 Limited Edition (Stock)
1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo Convertible (Stock)
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Forum Master

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
willinno previously said: View Post
^^ I still say get a snorkel Ben. This from a TRD CAI owner.

It's not that it's a bad product, just that a snorkel would be better.
BOTH!!!!

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser 0-100mph with Snorkel & TRD CAI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfHEGSQEhaA

2014 6MT AWD in "Tactical" Black with Color Matched Roof, UR, CQ & DH; Black Talon Snorkel; TRD CAI; Hüper Optik Nano-Ceramic Window Film; Custom Black-Out; Sylvania SilverStar® zXe Headlights; Hella Supertone Horns; Husky Liners; Motorola Docking Station; URD Short Throw Shifter; Uniden 980SSB CB Radio; Uniden Amplified Speaker; Firestik II 4'; Bandi Mount; TEXAS "Come And Take It" Personalized Plates; Garmin GPSmap 60CSx w/RAM; iPad 3 w/RAM; Blue Sea Fuse Block; (2) Blue Sea Dash Sockets; Pelican ProGear 65QT Elite Marine Cooler; BLACKHAWK Serpa Holster; & Putco LED Dome Light set.
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Forum Master

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
gaylonw previously said: View Post
I agree with BT, there is a definite improvement in performance because the filter is less restrictive, more air equals more and better bangs in the combustion chambers!
The engine will definitely wind up very quickly, faster than a stock unit.
If you don't stay 'in it' all the time, fuel economy will be marginally improved, as well. ( not sure BT is getting much economy increase!) LOL!
Make sure that you keep the filter clean and properly oiled.
Also, those shiny Red silicone hoses that allow the hard surfaces to mount together, will deteriorate over time from the heat and the oils that they come in contact with.
On my '07 FJ, the hoses on my TRD CAI developed a almost dry rot condition on the bottom(engine side) of each hose. that looked fine on the top, pretty side.
Had I not caught the condition in time, after about 50K; it the engine would have been sanded, long story short, I would loosen and inspect the hoses and rotate them very 10K.
Another down side for me, is the Cyclonic Dirt Filter on the bottom of the newer stock FJ air boxes that are included on the TRDCAI,
IMHO, this cyclonic filter is the best grit trap known to man, just tap on the top of the air box and see what comes out of the rubber ejector on the bottom of the box- absolutely amazing!!
But then my wife says that I am easily impressed by all things FJ!!
Enjoy the TRDCAI if you decide to get one, they are a breeze to install and they look great!!.
My $.02….gm
Thanks for confirming this Amigo!!!

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser 0-100mph with Snorkel & TRD CAI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfHEGSQEhaA

2014 6MT AWD in "Tactical" Black with Color Matched Roof, UR, CQ & DH; Black Talon Snorkel; TRD CAI; Hüper Optik Nano-Ceramic Window Film; Custom Black-Out; Sylvania SilverStar® zXe Headlights; Hella Supertone Horns; Husky Liners; Motorola Docking Station; URD Short Throw Shifter; Uniden 980SSB CB Radio; Uniden Amplified Speaker; Firestik II 4'; Bandi Mount; TEXAS "Come And Take It" Personalized Plates; Garmin GPSmap 60CSx w/RAM; iPad 3 w/RAM; Blue Sea Fuse Block; (2) Blue Sea Dash Sockets; Pelican ProGear 65QT Elite Marine Cooler; BLACKHAWK Serpa Holster; & Putco LED Dome Light set.
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Black Talon previously said: View Post
No Placebo...watch my video and complete your own test without CAI...then compare the two. You GAIN actual performance increase because you are increasing the air flow (% of O2).

That video is no good without racing gloves.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Black Talon likes this.

2013 Calvary Blue.
5704 Viper Remote start alarm. LED everywhere, Billet door sills, Billet climate knobs and grab handles. ScanguageII. Clazzio Leather seat covers and seat heaters, Outback Roof Console. Billet locking gas door. Bushwacker pocket flares, IPCW Bermuda black LED tail lights, APC Diamond cut Black turn signals, Hunter Bull Bar, PIAA LED, 530 Driving and Fog Lights, Hella Supertone dual horns, Muth Heated turn signal mirrors, 2014 rims, Ricochet Air Dam with four HIDs, Blackout complete, Lifetime LED Headlights. X-Wing Sliders, and Snorkel

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in