Engine replacement - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By TrustR888

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine replacement

New to the forum... I've been on a while but rarely posted anything. I just recently had to replace the engine in my 2008 FJ . Apparently I overheated the engine and it caused it to lock up.. I'm back on the road but I have the old engine. Is it possibly to salvage the old one as a back up, or is it pointless? The reason I ask is because a lot of people tell me that once an aluminum engine block misnomer heated , it warps beyond repair.. Any info is appreciated..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Re: Engine replacement

There is a reason it was replaced and not repaired... You may be able to salvage some parts

"Sorry, I have "say the opposite of what you mean" disease." - Ace Ventura
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau
The moon is 238,857 miles away from the Earth

Texan - Tried and True - Sic 'Em Bears
2014 AT Cement - Off-Road - 285 GY DuraTracs, PureFJ Sliders, OEM Hitch, Baja Rack Insert, Springtail Cargo Basket & Pet Barrier, 4" Ventlock, PRG Snorkle, RCI Aluminum Skids
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:11 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)

This really depends on how badly it was over heated and how extensive the damage is.
Sometimes machining can restore a motor to better than new condition with more horse power planned but if the damage is extensive the cost becomes not worth it exceeding the cost of a new motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 05:43 AM
pop
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)

All the external components are, should be ok to reuse. The engine block is most likely scrap. The way it is cast makes it where it is unlikely to be re-bored and cleaned up for reuse due to how thin the cylinder walls will become unlike a cast iron block. Still lot of money for the heads ect. Nothing wrong with your engine as long as it runs without consuming oil. Remember there will be a ton of replacement engines for your year because the Tacoma also uses it. Quit worrying and drive it. Did it run low on oil or coolant, you might want to check things more frequently.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Yeah, I've already replaced the old motor . I just. Have the old one in my garage tinkering with it.. I've had my FJ for 5 years and I'm one meticulous mofo.. I check everything constantly. I had changed out my serpentine belt last month. (Yes I installed it correctly) heck I drove about 200 miles . the next day a piece of it shredded , slicing my coolant hose and dumped out all my coolant.. Weird thing was the temp never registered hot..
We'll anyways, thanks for the info and I will be checking things even more frequently than normal from here on out

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

That sucks, atleast you got it replaced. Maybe turn the old engine into a piece of furniture like on top gear with the engine block as a table ornament.
SpikeG37 likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Hey, good idea ! I didnt even think about that. Thats a definite must do.. Thanks

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

if you're serious about keeping it, strip it down and have the block tested ... there's a cost obviously and therefore my point about wanting to keep it ... not sure if there's a number on the block that ties it to that FJC and to some people keeping the original engine that came with the truck is important (I made sure the engine in my 40 was a 78 engine and was original to the truck) ... if the block is okay, there's an opportunity to get more power out of it, if you want to spend the money ... otherwise, keep what you can as bolt-on spare parts and get rid of the rest ... just a thought ...

07 FJC Voodoo Blue - C Pckge AT / Toytec Ultimate 3 Lift / Total Chaos UCA / DirtKing LCA / 285-70R-17 Michelin LTX A/T / ECGS 3rd/front diff 4.56 gears / ARB Front Locker / ARB mini compressor /Demello Hybrid Sliders / Scuba Mod / AT Cooler / MetalTech Upper-Lower Rear Links / Clazzio Seat Covers / Roll Top Console Cover

78 FJ40

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Garage

If it were me I would tear it down and see if it can be restored. These days a place will tell you its terminal just so they can charge you for a new one,

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in