Oil Pressure Sending Unit Location? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By FJtest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Oil Pressure Sending Unit Location?

I've searched and searched online with no luck.

I have a 2012 automatic and considering getting a bypass oil filter. Just need some help figuring out where the oil pressure sending unit is located on the engine as the bypass filter would use it for a connection point.

This is what I'm looking to install.
http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/...BMK21_BP83.pdf

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
Re: Oil Pressure Sending Unit Location?

Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	792
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	337233  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the help. I haven't had a chance to take a look under the hood, but looks like I'll be buying a 24mm deep socket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)

Is it your plan to stop using the OEM filter and this would become your primary engine filter?? One thought I had is many factory oil filters receive the oil directly from the pump and pan sump immediately catching any contaminants in the filter, in this design it looks like the oil and any possible contaminant will pass through much of the motor and bearings before coming to the filter also 1/4" NPT is a pretty small supply opening.
Just an observation/question, for what it's worth.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)

Quote:
WaJohnZ previously said: View Post
Is it your plan to stop using the OEM filter and this would become your primary engine filter?? One thought I had is many factory oil filters receive the oil directly from the pump and pan sump immediately catching any contaminants in the filter, in this design it looks like the oil and any possible contaminant will pass through much of the motor and bearings before coming to the filter also 1/4" NPT is a pretty small supply opening.
Just an observation/question, for what it's worth.
It's a BYPASS filter, and doesn't affect functionality of the OEM full-flow filter setup. It just constantly bleeds a small volume of oil through the bypass fine filter element. Downside is a slight loss of oil pressure at all engine speeds, and the reduced reliability of the lubrication system from all the external plumbing.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)

Quote:
MCcitrus previously said: View Post
I've searched and searched online with no luck.

I have a 2012 automatic and considering getting a bypass oil filter. Just need some help figuring out where the oil pressure sending unit is located on the engine as the bypass filter would use it for a connection point.

This is what I'm looking to install.
http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/...BMK21_BP83.pdf

Thanks
Why would you even consider adding such a system to your FJ?

What benefits are you expecting?

The 1GR-FE's lubrication system is extremely effective and reliable; given reasonable oil and filter change intervals, these engines regularly reach 300K miles without any lubrication system problems (rod or crankshaft main bearing wear, etc.).

The downside of these bypass filter systems is reduced oil pressure at all engine speeds, and the reduced reliability of adding multiple external connections and several feet of pressurized external rubber hose to the lubrication system.

The oil return line to the oil pan is especially hokey, pounding a hole into the oil pan with a pointy tool, and then screwing a "self-tapping hollow bolt" into the thin sheet metal of the oil pan and praying that it holds through years of engine vibration and the shock of off-roading??

"If it ain't broke, ......"
WaJohnZ and amaclach like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
It's a BYPASS filter, and doesn't affect functionality of the OEM full-flow filter setup. It just constantly bleeds a small volume of oil through the bypass fine filter element. Downside is a slight loss of oil pressure at all engine speeds, and the reduced reliability of the lubrication system from all the external plumbing.
Thanks for the info, I am aware of the intended design and this the reason why I asked the OP about his plan, He did not provide any explanation or purpose for considering this system. Truthfully on a engine such as the FJ I only see up front and on-going cost with little or no benefit, Not knowing if his thought was to try and stop use of the OEM cartridge which would be not good, I now see in the instructions small print warning where it states do not replace the OEM filter system.
Cheers.

Last edited by WaJohnZ; 11-08-2014 at 08:16 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

So, I am not trying to stop using the OEM oil filter. The bypass filter would be an addition. Also, I am considering the bypass, not committed to getting it yet and I would run the oil return line through the oil cap, not the oil pan.

The reliability concerns have been on my mind and mentioned by a few others on here and I appricate all your input and thoughts.

As mentioned before, i have thought of all the extra connections and increasing the chance of something going wrong such as a leak when you least expect it.

My main decision would be how much of a pain would it be to install. I haven't been able to find the oil pressure sending unit so, I'm figuring it is quite difficult to get to.

Thanks for all the different views and opinions on this topic and feel free to add more if you would like.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in