FJ's Running on Ethanol E-85 ? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: FJ's Running on Ethanol E-85 ?

we will have the Corn Cartel before you know it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DominicG

Quote:
dave justice previously said: View Post

I've converted all of my vehicles and they all run better on E85.

how do they run better on E85??

E85 is just a substitution for the environmentally/wallet concerned people.

GO D.O.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Sky
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Mtbcoach previously said: View Post
There was a forum member who planned on doing the same but I didn't follow the final resolution to his pursuit to get his FJ to be E85 compatible. I would be much more open to converting to an efficient diesel than E85 fuel...
Here is the link to the thread:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...uinea-pig.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Post Boulder Colorado & Ethanol E-85 Saturday 10-27

Dave Justice & Forum Members,

"Motorweek is an underfunded program on PBS. Guess who is a major sponsor of Motorweek? General Motors!!! I read the article and Motorweek did absolutely no testing to back GM's claims. GM hates the conversion kits. GM wants people to buy new cars, not convert. The folks down in Brazil have been using these conversion kits for over 20 years. I have not been able to find any negitive information on the web from the good folks or hot women in Brazil. I'm pretty sure that they have internet down there and if E85 and conversion kits were bad, they would have been posting in threads like this one. If the change2E85 guys had deep pockets like GM, I'm sure that they would give a kit to Motorweek and a fat sponsor check and would get glowing reviews from them. It's amazing how money can buy endorsements.

I've converted all of my vehicles and they all run better on E85."

Thanks bro, I searched and found the same information. Not only that, but you are successfully running Ethanol through your Toyotas. Brazil, with huge sugar cane production and biomass, is an awsome case study for the rest of the world. In fact, today, I attended a lecture at the National Renewable Energy Labs in Golden, CO. Part of their "power lunch" series. It was an eye opener and shed new light on the possibilities for alternative sources of fuel. My former Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins turbo diesel, ran on B-20 up to B-99 blends of locally made biodiesel. She ran smoother (but was .30 cents more per gallon). So, I joined the Denver Biodiesel Coop and bought it for nearly a dollar less.

Anyway, I wish more people would take alternative fuels more seriously, and take heart on issues of global warming. CNN ran a 2-night special called, Planet in Peril Planet in Peril: Environmental Coverage - Special Reports from CNN.com. Global climate change is no joke and alternative fuels is only the beginning. Thanks for your response.

BTW: I will be in Boulder, Colorado (CU Buffs!!) on saturday for the E85 Conversion Kits Change2E85.com expo, and converter give away. I invite all curious looky-loos to check into it, and attend if possible.

Crisis is here, and the time is now.....
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I like to connserve and do my part but Al Gore is a pud!

ďSince you have chosen to elect a man with a timber toe to succeed me, you may all go to hell and I will go to Texas.Ē

Davy Crocket

My Rig: - well, that was my rig...

TLCA Member # 20540
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:48 PM

Hey FARLAN!

Great info! I've bought several kits from the change2E85 guys and couldn't be happier. I called Dave the owner and let him know about this thread. Do me a favor and drop my name in the raffle box. I'm buying a new truck for winter. Just remember Dave Justice like the baseball player.

Dave said that the FJ is a harder install. The intake plenum needs to come off inorder to gain access to the injectors and the polarity is reversed. I was amazed that he knew that right away. He said that they have done many FJs already. He said a good Toyota mechanic can do the job in about 1 hour and Joes like you and me should allow for 2.

For those who don't live in the area, he said that GearHead Radio and Drive Radio will be giving away a kit too. This past Saturday they did an E85 special and they are going to do another E85 special this Saturday. Out of towners can listen through streaming audio and call in to win a kit or ask the host ASE Techs about using E85 in a non-flex vehicle. Donny, one of the hosts uses E85 in a 400 horsepower 4.6L Corba powered Focus. Information on the radio show can be found on change2E85.com.

Dave also said that he is going to post a 50 minute clip on a podcast where they address that conversion kits and E85 is safe in a non-flex vehicle. When I get the link, I'll post it here.

Quote:
DominicG previously said: View Post
how do they run better on E85??
E85 makes vehicles run smoother, quieter, cleaner, cheaper and cooler. Carbon is the real killer of engines. The low carbon content of E85 keeps the engine cleaner. It burns slower so it is smoother and quieter. E85 is cheaper to buy. I'm ahead everytime I fill up. The 105 octane works great in my Audi S4 Bi-Turbo. The lower ignition temp makes the engine run cooler.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Gottagetone previously said: View Post
I like to connserve and do my part but Al Gore is a pud!
Hypocracy at work and making millions.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:42 PM

Podcast: "http://www.switchpod.com/users/change2e85/feed.xml"

Last edited by dave justice; 10-24-2007 at 11:46 PM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Forum Regular

I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that using ethanol for fuel will somehow deplete our food supplies has not been paying attention. Brasil has been neerly fuel self sufficient for something like 30 years. And they aren't burning corn. They get it from sugar cane. You can get ethanol from anything you can get sugar from. Even wood cullulose and citrus peels are showing potential. Can you imagine how many cars can be fueled from all the peeled cirus from citrus producers?

My issue is that same as many peoples. There's only one or two places to get it here that I know of. It's easier to get 100% biodiesel in Portland right now. And a LOT of people here are driving Volvos, Mercedes, VWs, and even a few Hilus Toyotas on it. That's what I wish Toyota would do. I really prefer the touque a good diesel produces, and a good diesel engine will last a lot longer. If I could find a way to put a Cummins engine mated to an Allison trans in my FJ, it would be done (after I won the lottery!).
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to USMC_Sgt

I want to convert to it just so I can go fill up.... The nearest one to my house is about 2 miles away.... AT THE HUMMER DEALERSHIP.... HAHAHAHA go figure..

USMC_Sgt
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Voodoo Blue 4x4 AT
USMC Sgt's Blue Raider Build Page

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
-Winston Churchill

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in