Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Supercharger...TRD vs URD

68K views 255 replies 53 participants last post by  hiflyerx 
#1 ·
Looking to add supercharger to my TRD FJ. Looking into new TRD and the more powerful URD. Any input from anyone? Thanks

#5 ·
Not yet...I am going to have to wait a bit before I can get my rig onto a dyno an see.

But once the RPMs are there, the things hauls ass , considering how much extra mass I've added onto the thing.

Reports will be forthcoming once I know.

#4 ·
After finding out that the TRD doesn't carry my warranty to 6yr/100k, then getting that Excellent y-pipe from URD, I'm thinking real hard..........

Let us know where you end up.............

I couldn't be any firmer on the fence........

Attilla

#7 ·
In my opinion, the URD would be much more stressful on your engine than the TRD one. The TRD one isn't as powerful, clearly, but I believe it is made to give a nice boost in power, but also not tear your engine apart within a year or two. It's a hard choice, but I'd more than likely go with the TRD one, even more so since if I had any problems with the URD one...well...I'd pretty much be screwed.

#8 ·
Thanks for info and glad to hear URD worked out. Im convinced URD would be much more powerful but am worried about warranty with Toyota and also service issues. May have to go TRD for local support and warranty. I've got my MR2 that gives me over 350hp for when I need the speed fix. Spincycle- how is pulling power?

#9 · (Edited)
Jake, like Spincycle I am a very happy 20K mile URD owner. These supercharger threads happen every now and then. Every time, somebody who is totally uninformed decides to chime in that a supercharger is going to blow up somebody's engine.

This is nonsense, and has never happened to an FJ, or to the hundreds - perhaps thousands - of Tacomas and Tundras that URD has run in for years. URD's Rotrex blower has run in Europe in hundreds of thousands of installations including OEM.

Because URD has the rights to the ultramodern, super-efficient Rotrex blower, TRD had to go with the old Roots. I would urge you to Google comparisons between these two blowers, because that's where you will find the real differences.

The TRD does NOT have a Toyota warranty. They had to purchase a 3rd-party warranty and add that to the cost of the unit. It is also still unknown whether Toyota will warranty the rest.

In any case this doesn't matter, because your engine will not blow up. However, you WILL have an unbelieveable fun time kicking butt with your FJ. It's the best mod you could ever do. If you lived here I'd invite you for a drive.

Pulling power? I've beat a Cayenne Turbo, and a Boxster... uphill, both times.

#10 · (Edited)
Jake, like Spincyle I am a very happy 20K mile URD owner. These supercharger threads happen every now and then. Every time, somebody who is totally uninformed decides to chime in that a supercharger is going to blow up somebody's engine.

This has never happened to an FJ, or to the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Tacomas and Tundras that URD has run in for years. URD's Rotrex blower has run in Europe in hundreds of thousands of installations including OEM.

Because URD has the rights to the ultramodern, super-efficient Rotrex blower, TRD had to go with the old Roots. I would urge you to Google comparisons between these two blowers, because that's where you will find the real differences.

The TRD does NOT have a Toyota warranty. They had to purchase a 3rd-party warranty and add that to the cost of the unit. It is also still unknown whether Toyota will warranty the rest.

In any case this doesn't matter, because your engine will not blow up. However, you WILL have an unbelieveable fun time kicking butt with your FJ. It's the best mod you could ever do. If you lived here I'd invite you for a drive.
The thing about the URD is it is a TACOMA SC, ADAPTED to work on a FJ Cruisers 1gr engine. It's not specifically MADE for it, and people haven't had this in their FJ long enough to actually say if its worth the hassle. I don't like it when people act like adding a supercharger does nothing to your engine besides increase power. It's common sense that a supercharger will wear down your engine much faster.

#12 ·
Thanks Air2air, Looks like you have quite the beast! Mine is slowly getting there. My MR2 is sucking up all the money right now. Did do ARB bullbar and Old Man suspension. Fj is my everyday driver but use to tow the toys around. I did talk to dealership and they said TRD is covered under own warranty and does not alter 100k and rest of engine, etc. But I will make sure I get that on paper first. The shop working on my MR2 is doing some reserch on TRD vs URD for me and I will share info when I find out more.

#13 ·
Well when you have your S/C you will have quite the beast as well.

For toy pulling, I'm sure you've already wondered about regearing. That has worked wonders for a lot of guys here. If you did both you would be taking out just about everybody on the road; certainly every truck at the very least.

#16 ·
So much for trying to stop spending money! Dangerous when one get divorced and has no spending leash attached. Gears look like nice addition to FJ. Hopefully supercharger happens in next few weeks first. Thanks again for info.

#18 ·
Now just beat a tuned Toyota Supra...:p

#20 · (Edited)
Dunno 'bout that, but my tuner/installer, who normally tunes VW & other German/euro sport cars (rally cars and the like) claimed the has was reluctant to give me back the FJ after spending a while tuning it and driving around, adjusting the ECU map. That's gotta mean something.

Also, something to kep in mind: SC performance increases linearly with RPM. What does this mean? From a flat stop at a stoplight, you don't get much boost. But as you shift up, and the 7th injector kicks in, and you hit 3000+ RPM, you'd be VERY surprised how an FJ can move fast, quick. In other words, your 1/4 mile times would be more impressive than your 0-60 times.

I've added LOTS of weight to my FJ (see my sig) - possibly nearing 1000 lbs including the recovery kit & hilift, both of which were in the car today. And at a stoplight after leaving work I was at the front of the pack, waiting to turn left. When the left turn light came on, I put my foot down, started at what felt like a normal "fast start" for a truck (I'm decent with a clutch, and drive a 6MT, not an auto), but within a few seconds was several hundreds of feet ahead of everyone else and going 65 in a 40 zone.

Oops.

My installer claims that on a 90 degre turn (with a Toyota sales rep in the car, no less...), he lifted the front inside wheel. Try that with a stock FJ carrying the same weight.

:)

#27 · (Edited)
I believe all of what you have said but being a porsche 911 owner and have driven the cayenne turbo with close to 500 pony's and close to that in torque also 0 to 60 in under 5 secs ether you are lying which I don't think you are but who ever was driving the porsche needs to go to driving school a boxster yes a cayenne turbo no

#28 ·
Could have been the old 450 hp, before the current turbo and last years turbo S. It's also geared for more topend, which is why the grand cherokee srt8 with i/e could take it in the quarter.

#29 ·
Hmm I remember when the 5.0 craze back in the last century in what every time Tom, Dick, and Harry wanted an aftermarket supercharger. There was no bad press after several years of use.

Yes, you're right the added pressure put forth onto the piston, rings, ring lands and such can cause rapid wear but here's a question to you, how many times are you going to be singing the engine 85-90% towards the limits of the valvetrain?

Majority of the street driving is more than the amount of time you'll be at WOT, there have been so many kits in the past 20 years the reliability isn't an issue unless you go outside the bounds of the engine and aftermarket kit. There's street and there's Race/Off-road. The latter is typically more boost, different design and more likely to add more stress.

From my experience, taking a Buick V6 Turbo that only 'had' 235HP and tinkering it to push over 550HP - mind you with stock internals but better breathing. Start added aftermarket internals and you'll put the 700-800hp plateau.

The stock FJ block will be just be fine with these little kits.

#30 ·
Even with that said it still don't make sense and the jeep is an 8 cylinder with a super charger that makes sense not a toyota 6

#34 ·
Jeep is an NA 6.1 liter, no forced induction, with 420 hp at the crank. It's certainly possible a URD equipped FJ would be putting out the same type of numbers.

#31 ·
first and foremost , i was referring to the fj up against the porsche . the srt beyond a shadow of a doubt, is faster then the cayenne. the fj is a rice burner compared to a twin anything.

#36 ·
I have been running my FJ URD charger for over 30k and its still works great. I had the old TRD charger on my last Toyota. The 3.4, IMO that S/C was a loud annoying POS compared to the URD kit. My 3.4 pinged all the time till I put the URD fuel kit on it. Then it was constant tinkering to get it just right.

The URD unit is very quite! The piggyback computer it comes with adjusts the fuel to make sure you don't have any pinging issues. Mine has been ping free the entire time it has been on my FJ. The only thing I wish it had more of is power:) it has plenty but like any good thing the more you have the more you want:)

As far as what it does to your engine, you just need to remember it's not a race truck; you can't keep it wide open everywhere you go and expect it to stay together. I know a guy that did this with a stock 3.4 Toyota engine and he went through 3 engines before the truck hit 100k but he was hard on his engine. What did spider man say "with great power comes great responsibility?"

#46 ·
I have been running my FJ URD charger for over 30k and its still works great. I had the old TRD charger on my last Toyota. The 3.4, IMO that S/C was a loud annoying POS compared to the URD kit. My 3.4 pinged all the time till I put the URD fuel kit on it. Then it was constant tinkering to get it just right.
You got me thinking...do you know if the new TRD supercharger for the FJC is basically the same unit that was on your 3.4? I certainly wouldn't want my motor to ping with the unit. I don't think they would offer it unless they had all the bugs worked out.

#38 ·
Back to TRD vs URD, I spoke to team at Synaptic3 (currently turning my MR2 into rocketship) and he spoke to owner of URD and learned alot about the differences between the two. Looks like URD puts out far better HP and torque and also runs much cooler. The URD has many more features then TRD that make it a less stressful SC on the engine. Cost is higher but URD offers more options and power to make it worth every penny. Looks like URD is the way I will go. Just need to finish up divorce so I don't need to explain why my FJ must be so fast!

#40 · (Edited)
Looks like URD puts out far better HP and torque and also runs much cooler. The URD has many more features then TRD that make it a less stressful SC on the engine.

There you go again muddying up the water with facts......dammit

#41 ·
Im in RI and getting URD installed and serviced is very easy to do. If you find the right shop and the right tech it will be done just as good if not better then URD themselves. URD has also been used and tested on FJ longer then the TRD from what I have learned so far. If any out here in east needs work done right call www.synaptic3.com

#45 ·
Go for the TRD model and have the Tech at Toyota work on it for you. Just make sure it's not the tech with the Dukes of Hazzard lunch box.

#47 ·
I have been watching this debate and other simular threads for a while now. I think the best thing for me to do is leave things stock until the warranty expires and then go for the URD. Hopefully, by then, the better SC will emerge.

Let the lab rats with the disposable income figure this one out. Keep posting and I'll keep reading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.