Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Looking for a new exhaust

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  superspyder79 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Well I am now moving on to my next project, a new exhaust. I need recommendations, I don't plan on doing this myself, but I want to know what brand you recommend? I want something that sounds strong with some noise. Something good, dual would be nice, but if not, standard one is fine. Let me know, I know there are tons of companies such as JBA, MagnaFlow, Borla, Etc....

Thanks,
Jose

P.S. If anyone in the South Florida area knows of places where they install exhaust, let me know.

Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
Personally...you can't really go wrong with any of the big brands...Flowmaster...Borla...MagnaFlow...JBA...etc. Once you get past that, it's 100% personal preference. If I were you, I would try to meet up with as many FJ owners with after-market exhausts you can find and listen and compare.

Women and exhausts have one thing in common, what's one man's trash is another man's treasure...

#5 ·
I would spend the extra cash and go with a stainless. Gibson makes a nice one.

#8 ·
Jose, I just put on a Used Flowmaster and used Stainless tip for $75 duckets O.T.D.! The muffler was on a vehicle for a week and was too loud for the person. If you ask your local shop, maybe you can find deals on a like new exhaust as well. "Keep her on all 4rs, and sometimes 3!"
Wow! That was a great deal.

#7 ·
hahaha, I am going to a local muffler shop that installs exhausts to see what they have. I will let you guys know before i take the plunge on installation.

#11 ·
SO...did you just get the cat back, or did the muffler shop do the whole pipeline too?

I am thinking if I just want a louder exhaust, the muffler shop should just be able to install a cheap-o cat back?

I did this on a Miata I had once. I couldn't believe how loud the cheap cat was. The muffler guy said they were cheaper because they were louder. People have to pay more for quiet.

Thanks.

#17 ·
Well, I prefer loud and obnoxious. Unfortunately, Magnaflow isn't that.

BUT, it sounds cool getting on it. So, its almost like an on/off, i.e. want noise, mash gas pedal, don't want noise, drive normal.

I think if you went for Magnaflow, you'd be happy.

Also, do youtube check for fj cruiser magnaflow to hear some.

My overall thoughts: I like it. Feels good sounds nice. Driving into garage at work...I can "irritate" a few car alarms. Would I do it again? Absolutely. In fact, this should have been my very first mod.

#19 ·
No, I don't notice any HP difference. But I have always thought the FJ was pretty peppy to begin with. If I try to drive like a sports car, I always hit the rev limiter before I am out of second gear. Yes this is probably more of a gearing issue, but my point is, I ain't driving a sports car, and I think the FJ has plenty of power. I just wanted some manly noise out of the exhaust.

But, after all that, my other answer is...for AT folks, there may be a more noticeable difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.