FJ Engine oil? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FJ Engine oil?

Hi guys,

I bought my FJ a week ago, i changed the engine oil and the service guys used 5W40, i wasn't really convinced that this is the best oil for the FJ.
Considering that i live in Dubai, which the temperature in summer can reach 118 - 122 degrees and in winter in the desert it can drop down to 40, so i am wondering what is the best oil to use in the hot weather, in winter i know that 5w30 is the best, and in the car manual it mentions that 5w30 is advised by toyota, But m not sure they consider the people living in UAE.
I searched as well on Mobil 1 website and it says i should use 0w20 or 0w30.
So i am kinda lost now, its a 2010 model and i really don't want my engine to get damaged because of the wrong oil choice.

Can anyone help on this matter?

Appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 04:46 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Garage
Re: FJ Engine oil?

@amaclach should be able to help you out with your question. Welcome to the FJ addiction btw!

Young, dumb, and blunt - Chris
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thank you @chriskrossapplesauce ! m loving this forum so much great information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 05:33 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome @jsofun !
I get mine serviced by the dealer - they use Lexus Synthetic oil - Not sure what the grade is.
You don't need to worry about the low temp performance (the bit before the W)- it's fine there.
Is yours GCC spec or is it a US import, but I don't think you need to worry too much about 5w40 - I think that's about perfect. maybe a 50 grade if you're running it hard in summer esp. if it's a US spec FJ (thinner radiator core) and with an Auto trans (trans cooler is in the radiator, so the radiator becomes even less efficient).

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

I'll dig my owner's manual out - there is an oil grade table for Middle East & Africa.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262

Last edited by amaclach; 09-21-2016 at 05:38 AM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 05:43 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Given the temp spread where you live, 40F-120F, which is not too different from where I live in Florida during summer months, I would use 0-30w or 5-30w.
The 5-40w that was used on your FJ IMO is too heavy, (thick when hot) when the engine reaches operating temp. Society of Automotive Engineers (S.A.E.) who
certify all the rules ref oil performance, state that the first # (5) is the viscosity (ability of the oil to flow at a given temp) of the oil at cold start up. A "cold" start is any start that is not at full operating temp.
The 5 designates that the oil will flow at -30F and the 30W will have a specific viscosity at full operating temp which is designed by the engine manufacturer.
Bottom line, you will be fully protected using the 5W-30. This assumes you are using your FJ for "normal" type stuff. I personally use 0w-30 Mobile 1 synthetic since my FJ was new
in 2011 and with 90k on the clock it runs beautifully and I do not burn or leak 1 drop of oil. Just make sure you change your oil, IMO, at 6000 miles if you use synthetic with a new filter.
Some people on this forum go longer, but 6000 between changes is very safe. The TBN additive levels at 6k is still very adequate.
BTW, IMO the 0-20w that is in your manual was put there primarily to give the best gas mileage for these engines NOT necessarily the BEST protection. Will it damage your engine, NO.
But it is not the BEST weight for ALL applications. My FJ sees a fair amount of cold weather in Colorado too, hence the 0w-30.

The subject of oil can take weeks to fully discuss. If your interested theres tons of oil info online and in this forum. Lots of opinions too. This is just my .02......
Ole Blu likes this.

CONFIDENCE: The Feeling You Experience Just Before

You Fully Understand The Situation...
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thank you @amaclach !

Mine is a GCC spec not US import, thats why i was wondering, bcz all forums i went through so far discuss the best oil for the US weather...
Looking forward for the results you can get from your owner's manual.
@Zeke , thank you for your thorough explanation, so your saying that 5W40 is not good enough at high temperature and wont lubricate the engine parts properly which might lead to damaging the engine after sometime? Yh i do change the oil after 6000 miles that is not an issue.
I am just concerned whether to use 5W30 or 5W40 the one they used already, even on my owner's manual they mention that you can use 10W30 or 15W40 if the temperature ranges from 20 degree to 100+... So this is really misleading, eventually we all want our engine to last as long as possible without any problems...

Any way thank you so much guys for your help, if you have more infos and advice please do share!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

jsofun,

It is Interesting that your manual states that both 10w-30 or 15w-40 can be used in your region.
I would do as your manual suggests and go with 10-30 as your outside temps never get below 40F. I am partial to Amsoil or Mobile 1 after reviewing many test results
for the 5 tests they subject the oil too. I still feel that at operating temp for the FJ that a 30w is more than sufficient to fully protect our engine. If you go on line and
google the oil you intend on using, you will find the physical attributes, flow rates, and tests done for that particular grade oil. Look at the viscosity for your oil at high temperature and you will see it MORE than meets the demands of the FJ engine at operating temperature. Assuming you are driving the FJ within normal parameters and not abusing it. The tolerances of this motor for its lubricating demands ie, the bearings, cyl rings, etc., once they reach operating temps, need oil that will not breakdown but still must flow throughout the engine. IMO I dont think a 40w oil
is necessary and indeed may be too thick at times for the FJ (not necessarily other engines). Obviously Toyota engineers know alot more than I do about their engines, thats just my .02.

CONFIDENCE: The Feeling You Experience Just Before

You Fully Understand The Situation...
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Garage
OP - the biggest question to ask is - are you intending to thrash it in the sand in the middle of summer? If not, you're fine with the 30.
Just remember high ambient temps 50-55c in summer) coupled with high revs commonly demanded in the summer sand demands an oil with not only the right viscosity but composition so it doesn't start breaking down.
If you're only really offroading in the cooler months, don't sweat it. 5w30 should be fine for you but 5w40 shouldn't harm it either.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 01:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)

Quote:
Zeke previously said: View Post
(snip) The 5-40w that was used on your FJ IMO is too heavy, (thick when hot) when the engine reaches operating temp.
This is not correct.

Here is a copy of the oil recommendation page from the Owner's Manual for a 2014 FJC sold in the Gulf States. Vehicles sold in this region have exactly the same 1GR-FE engine as FJCs sold in the US, but do not have to meet the EPA's CAFE fuel economy requirements and therefore can use higher viscosity oils that are optimized for engine durability.

For temperatures from 20F to 100F+, 20W-50 is recommended.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

@Zeke I will do that, problem here is that most of the garages don't know or probably don't care what oil they put in your car... anw i am not planning on going dune bashing with the car, the maximum will be offroading to a remote area for camping, and definitely not in summer:P
So @amaclach yh i hope 5W40 will be good, and wont be the cause of damage inside the engine.
@FJtest yes this is what i have in my owner's manual, and it says as well that 5W30 is recommended for the car, but logically 15W40 and 20W50 are the best option according to the data in the table but go figure if this is really good for the engine as 20W50 can be really viscous at starting temperature for the engine and will take more time to lubricate all the engine parts.
So i think 5W30, 5W40, 10W30, 10W40 should be fine for the FJ in UAE... as long as its not lower than W30 i think it should be fine.
You guys agree?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in