Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Drying and Oiling reusable air filters

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  FJ FunJunkie 
#1 ·
I've searched around and there really isn't a thread that answers it all, or has good tips. Last time I cleaned my air filter apparently I did a bad job (I also rushed it) I just clenaed it again at 5k (I don't do bad driving) and the water I was running it over went completely black, not to much when I knocked the filters LOADS of loose soil came out...

How do you clean yours? My method is now to spend about ten minutes knocking the filter on it's head to get the loose stuff out, then doseing it with K&N Air Filter Cleaner (works better than TRD) letting it soak for 10-15 minutes, then running it over a nice stream of water in the sink, then do it again, and then let it dry in the sun for about 3 hours or until 85% dry, then I oil the crap out of it, and let it sit over night, then let it sit in the sun for about an hour or two to get any excess oil off to make it like it was from the factory.

Anybody got any tips for drying? All I got is a fan, and the sun. Also, I don't believe over-oiling is a issue if you have time...even if you over-oil your filter to heck, laying it in the sun or letting it sit over night will let it absorb those excess droplets

The biggest thing is that you need to understand that this takes about a full day to do, at times a day and a half. Those Pry-Dry filters would be far easier...but you gotta wonder, how effective are they compared to cotton-gauze? And do you get the same performance out of them?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have always used the sun drying technique on previous K&N filters. I also oiled and very lightly ran a shop vac (not too close) with the direction of airflow to lift off excess oil if it was present.

The process does take time. I have always bought mine in pairs so I always had one ready to drop in.

#4 ·
i would do the usually, soak it with the k&n cleaner, for 10 min, then run water thru the filter (opposite to the air flow, which means form the inside to the outside), and then i will spin the crap out of it, ( i have the AFE) to get the most water out as possible, then i would use a heater that i have on my bedroom until i don't feel any vapor from the filter, and then oil the filter just one pass i really try not to over oil it, wait like 1 hour and put it back on. the whole process takes me like 2 hours or so.

#5 ·
I found the following method works fine for me:

required items - (2) 3-1/2 to5 gal.buckets (at least 1 with a lid).
(1) Cleaning kit (aFe - :bigthumb:, K&N, etc...)
ofcourse time.

1) Remove filter - light tap it to release excess dirt
2) Rinse gently with tap water from inside out
3) Pour half of cleaning solution in one bucket and fill half way with water
4) Submerge filter in bucket (fill with more water if filer isn't submerged).
5) Gently stir the mixture with the filter (go 1 direction and then the other)
do this like for 1 minute
6) Let sit in solution for 30 minutes to 1 hour
7) Fill second bucket 1/2 way with water
(while you wait the 30 minutes to 1 hour)
8) Remove the filter from cleaning solution and let
the excess drain in the bucket
9) Rinse gently again from the inside out - shake to remove excess water

10) Place filter in secondary bucket with water
11) Fill bucket to submerge filter
12) Stir gently in both directions for 1 minute
13) Let sit for 10-15 minutes
14) Place lid on cleaning solution and save for another cleaning
(while you let filter sit in water)
14) Remove the filter and rinse from inside out
15) Shake off excess water
16) Place somewhere to dry
17) Re-oil (stay away about 3/4" from edge - the oil will wick to the edge)
18) Let sit till filter is one color (time to let sit will vary)
19) Place filter back on once re-oiling is complete

You may also want to have a spare filter to change the dirty one out. This way you won't be in a hurry. You will have the time to clean and re-oil the dirty filter properly.
I use aFe's ProDry S filter as a spare. This filter is being used only while I'm cleaning the other one.

#6 ·
OK,
Remove the filter, clean it with the cleaner from the kit or sometimes I use dish washing soap. After it's thoroughly clean I use my trusty shop vac, reverse it, and blow most of the water out of it. After it's dry I oil the crap out of it and use the shop vac, in the direction of the air flow and blow all of the excess oil out of the filter. Ya do this and you will never have an over oiling problem.

#7 ·
I don't think "oiling the crap" out of the filter is a good Idea. The TRD kit instructs you to use as little oil as possible, let it soak in for 45 min, and then add more oil where needed. Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think the oil is going to evaporate in the sunlight. If Oil evaporated, the filter would be dry after just a short time of driving, and the temps in the engine comp. are higher than in the sunlight. Over oiling is not good.

For cleaning I just follow the TRD insturctions. Spray, rinse from insided out so as not to drive dirt further into the filter media, air dry, reoil, and reinstall.

#8 ·
Totally agree with that..., i also try to use as little oil as possible, because if some of that oil gets sucked in to the MAF sensor ( it will happen if you over oil it), the fuel economy is going to be crap., not to mention the loss in performance.

#9 ·
I'll either wash it, shake it out and put it on the truck with the engine running to dry it off before Oiling,(water doesn't hurt anything)
or I soak it with the cleaner and put it in the dishwasher. Done and ready to oil in like 20 minutes. If you do the dishwasher, wrap it in gauze or cheesecloth loosley to divert the direct spray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.