P0333 Code & observed rodent damage - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

16Likes
  • 5 Post By pop
  • 3 Post By gearwrench
  • 3 Post By Winterpeg
  • 3 Post By dpernal
  • 2 Post By Sacapuntas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question P0333 Code & observed rodent damage

Hi all,

Currently have my 2007 FJ overseas in Bahrain, and over the last 48-72 hours, some local vermin have made themselves at home in my engine and chewed through some wires. Started the car this morning, and immediately saw the CEL, ABS, VSC, and TC lights illuminated. Read the codes, and it's the P0333 Engine Knock Sensor (Bank 2) failure code, and when I lifted the bonnet, sure enough, there are rodent footprints everywhere.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aA2mve41mFxU6x162

I'm looking for an estimate (time-wise) to pull the intake & exhaust manifolds, drain the coolant & fuel, and basically get all the metal out of the way to assess the true damage. Labor is cheap(ish - $5-10/hr) here, and I may or may not be able to get the parts locally (Amazon is an option via FPO).

Assuming that the knock sensors are still good (they should be), how much actual wrench time should it take to pull the intake & exhaust manifolds and check & replace damaged wiring? I've seen 20-plus hours in previous threads, but if I don't actually have to replace sensors, is it less?

Thanks in advance. Just trying to get an idea on how tightly I should clench my cheeks before bringing it in. And, no, I'm not driving it at all.

Cheerio,
Dave

Last edited by dpernal; 10-15-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: photos upload
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 03:31 PM
pop
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Re: P0333 Code & observed rodent damage

Slow down a bit. Remove the plastic engine cover and air cleanerhousing and inspect what has been actually been damaged. Check to see if you have enough to splice to using factory pigtails, solder and heatshrink tubing. Toyota makes pigtails that work with the factory connectors. I had rat/mice eat the wires off of three fuel injectors. You may be able to fix without draining anything. Post pictures.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 03:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^
BIGGUY, Winterpeg and Lee44 like this.

KC3JJX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Admin

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Garage

My wife's corolla got chewed a bit - plug wires. I was able to simply put electrical tape on them to stop them from arcing to the next wire... ALWAYS try the easy/cheap fix first. This was 10 yrs ago and it's still going strong.
Sanderhawk, ZerosFJ and Lee44 like this.

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:51 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Garage

Always start simple. You can solder it yourself or just twist the wires together and put some electrical tape on it......I`m sure that will fix your problem

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
pop previously said: View Post
Slow down a bit. Remove the plastic engine cover and air cleanerhousing and inspect what has been actually been damaged. Check to see if you have enough to splice to using factory pigtails, solder and heatshrink tubing. Toyota makes pigtails that work with the factory connectors. I had rat/mice eat the wires off of three fuel injectors. You may be able to fix without draining anything. Post pictures.

Figured I'd post my final outcome...

I pulled the plastic engine cover & air filter housing as suggested, shone a light inside, and found no noticeable damage. Had it towed to my friendly local garage, and they spent the next 4 days pulling the engine apart, replacing the wiring harness for the knock sensor (which had been chewed clean in half), and putting it all back together. 35 hours of labor later, my car's running as new.

Luckily I'm in a place where labor is cheap, so it only set me back $290.00, tow, parts, & labor included.
Winterpeg, Lee44 and FJQueue like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 08:05 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage

I just went through the exact same situation.
My large wire harness from the fuse box that runs around the engine bay was destroyed along with several injector wires, chewed at the connector. Fuel lines where damaged, hose for washer fluid also.
$6800 in damaged with all new Toyota parts used to repair it. Luckily was covered by insurance.
Winterpeg and ZerosFJ like this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:23 PM

Can you tell me where it was chewed in half? I found a mouse in the FJC but it was running fine then two days later P0333 rough idle but I can't find any chewed wires?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:09 AM
Admin

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Charles Clark previously said: View Post
Can you tell me where it was chewed in half? I found a mouse in the FJC but it was running fine then two days later P0333 rough idle but I can't find any chewed wires?
Keep looking.... could be anywhere....

On my wife's corolla it was the plug wires. So thankfully it was easy to spot and remedy.

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in