Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2010-2014 Magnuson Supercharger FJC kit

143K views 227 replies 32 participants last post by  steph99 
#1 · (Edited)
Im finally here posting about the new pre-production S/C. We have had it and its been installed on my shop truck 2014 TTUE Fjc. Excuse the delay but we have been more active about this development on our Instagram account @siick_motorsports and on fjcforums.com (owned by the same company as this forum) since we are a vendor there.

(mods if this is not allowed let me know)

Ok so i know many people had isssues with the previous 07-09 taco/fjc s/c tunes. And seems magnuson was more catious this time around. Hence it wasnt just released for sale. It was on their 4runner for a bit over a year with the tune. 10 final pre production kits were released before it out to the general public, for more testing.

The kit utilizes the same intercooler as the 07-09 s/c behind the grill. But the intercooler inside the s/c housing is off of the 5.7l Tundra s/c kit. It's a 1.3 liter size blower.

It will be CARB legal and will include the tuner already unlike the previous kit which was an extra.****CALIFORNIA customers will have to wait till March 2018 for them to be on sale. Magnuson is just waiting for the get the carb no. & certificates.
***Out of State you will be able to get them end of December.

Its gunna be doing 6 lbs of boost. Torque & horsepower curves are remained very consistent and smooth after each pull in the dyno. Two different dynos were used (dynojet, dyno dynamics) for a total of 8 pulls.

Our fj is a 2014 TTUE automatic, w/ stock gearing & 30,000 miles . Tire size 285-75R16. It only has 2 out of the 4 catalytic converters (dough thorley y-pipes & jba cat back).

You can have a Snorkel on this kit without having issues. OEM air intake is re-used, if you have the TRD air intake that will also work.

The kit is vert straight forward and if you have the tools it can be installed in your garage. Spark plugs will have be gapped per instructions. So make sure u have an gapping tool for iridium plugs

Driving the fj is much better now. The transmission is not hunting for gears anymore. Rpms wont shoot up sky high on downshifts due to the added power when going up grades. The rpms are more constant when driving. Its not obnoxiously loud. In normal driving you forget you have ther supercharger, and when you do step on it is midly loud. Mpg, (i know most dont care) for the guys that do care, we have seen an increase around 2.5 miles more driving at 75mph on the freeway (southern California). Possibly more if were driving at 60-65 but we dont.

We have driving the truck on dunes, city, freeway, dirt. Different locations/ terrain. And we are very satisfied with the performance. Passing lanes or getting on the on ramp with our RTT and gear is not an issue anymore. The power is there when you needed. On the dunes it helped a lot specially going up the long steeper dunes.

For the guys with Crawl Control. The system works just as it would without the supercharger. The added power doesnt conflict with the system at all. Some guys had been asking about that.

For anyone local to southern california the truck is currently at the L.A Auto Show on display and can go check out the supercharger.

Install notes** certain custom modifications were made to accommodate our shrockworks bumper / winch to be able to clear hoses , intercooler, and s/c water pump.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
'07-09 Magnuson Kits were supplied with the Bully Dog tuner....which was problematic for some. What tuner is being included in the 10'-'14 Magnuson kit? Can the '10-'14 accommodate the 2.85 undersize (overdriven pulley)? Does the tuner account for high altitude and is it still able to produce 6 lbs of boost at say 10K altitude?

#15 · (Edited)
EDIT.....Bd tuner will NOT be used in these kits. The tune on last kits seemed to be the issue. Higher altitudes will still work with the tune. We tested ours at 8500 feet in Ouray Colorado. The boost does drop due to the altitude but it still has plenty of power compared to stock trim.

#5 ·
Sorry to borrow the term, but this looks absolutely siick! So clean!

In regard to the SC cooler in front to the radiator, I wonder if it affects engine cooling by blocking the radiator significantly? Perhaps differs depending if FJ is going slow off road(i.e., in sand) vs down the Freeway at 70mph. Have you watched coolant temps in your different driving environments?

I have an aftermarket tranny cooler mounted in the same place as the SC cooler, and can see that this would be a problem to mount from the get go. :(

Mike

#6 ·
Q: "In regard to the SC cooler in front to the radiator, I wonder if it affects engine cooling by blocking the radiator significantly?"

A: I have had a Magnussen (TRD) S/C on my '08 now for a few years and never saw any impact to engine cooling.

#7 · (Edited)
Question for Super Slick: has anyone yet provided a side by side comparison of the '07~'09 and the new '10~'14 performance (dyno graphs)?

Since both SC are running at 6psi I am thinking that it would be a pretty fair comparison of the two, "out of the box".
I am curious as the later engine has a couple more hp / fewer ft-lb if that condition remains or if through lessons learned and additional development time (or thanks to roller rockers and twin VVTi) they were able to get more.

edit: oh, wait, I was able to get the '07-'09 graph from Magnussen's web site just now:

Boosted '07-09 280hp/291ft-lbs
stock '07-'09 got 239hp/278ft-lbs
(+41hp, +13)

Boosted '10-'14 286hp/280ft-lbs
stock '10-'14 got 260hp/270ft-lbs
(+26hp, +10)

N

#17 ·
Ok those "stock" numbers of 260 & 270 are not at the wheel. Those are at the crank. Haha yeah if it was making those marginal gains this would have been an epic failure and i wouldnt even bother spending time posting it on any forum ir IG.

#9 ·
Are the magnusson HP/Torque numbers at the wheels? If so, comparing them to the stock numbers (which I believe are at the crank) isn't a particularly even comparison, you'd have to put a stock 2010+ on the same dyno as your SC one to get a real power comparison.

#11 ·
Even with a 20% drop in power with an automatic, that is a pretty unimpressive power gain over N/A! Most of that minimal gain over stock would be headers and exhaust! Test meaningful if dyno done on FJ with modified exhaust BEFORE SC and then with SC installed with tune? I'd be expecting about 100 hp gain before I'd fork over that kind of money, plus cost of install?

I'd say "back to drawing board" boys; before I'd spent that kind of money!

#12 ·
i'm going to fault both the original poster and some of the posters above. Garbage in; garbage out on the analysis.

SuperSiick. In my opinion it is is improper to provide a graph showing 286HP and 280 ft/lbs without showing a baseline...or the motor without the supercharger. As you can see then people go off and compare apples to oranges and cant figure out what actual gain and % gain over the baseline.

I think others are too quick to compare to stock published numbers. That makes no sense to me as most people know that the manufacturers ratings are typically at the crankshaft. I assume, unless they are pulling out the motor and running it on a dyno connected to the back of the motor, the dyno testing is rear wheel horsepower as measured on a rear wheel driven dynamometer.

So, can we get back to a valid comparison of the before/after hp and torque ratings using the same vehicle before and after the supercharger? Also any figures that are provided should give enough background to understand that we are comparing equivalent numbers.

Pretend you are presenting the results to your boss who expects a full and valid explanation and a valid comparison.

#18 · (Edited)
Alright so to shed some light on HP and TQ. The base numbers on the fj were low. The hp came in low at the rear wheels at around 193hp and 197 tq. After s/c it was at 286 hp & 279 tq. Thats around 93hp increase & 82tq bump. Its making good numbers with the blower. Significant increase from stock rear wheel hp. And its definitely felt when driving. As for the urd pulley it might fight. I dont have the sizes at hand to see if it would. I personally handled the installation of the super charger and modifications to the bumper. Also the final dyno run i was present for. For the base run i was dealing with the SEMA show and arrival of the sc was a bit to tight during sema week. I had our boy do a pull to see where we were at.

#21 ·
Alright so to shed some light on HP and TQ. The base numbers on the fj were low. The hp came in low at the rear wheels at around 193hp and 197 tq. Its making good numbers with the blower. Significant increase from stock rear wheel hp. And its definitely felt when driving. As for the urd pulley it might fight. I dont have the sizes at hand to see if it would. I personally handled the installation of it and modifications to the bumper. Also the final dyno run i was present for. For the base run i was dealing with the SEMA show and arrival of the sc was a bit to tight during sema week. I had our boy do a pull to see where we were at.

With aftermarket rubber and the automatic it was really robbed of power but that’s a pretty common loss. Impressive gains at the rear wheels for sure, those numbers line up with HP and TQ gains at the crank that’s been advertised for this setup.

That’s a fantastic looking setup with the color matching cover, I’m definitely jealous. I re-geared last year to gain some torque back at the rear wheels now I wonder how this setup would work with 4.88’s cause damn I want this.

#20 · (Edited)
We also ran it with race gas for anyone wondering after doing normal testing with 91 premium. But i wont post up those numbers and wont really go into that since that will kinda veer off the main thread & open a can of worms lol. Also its not very realistic as no one is gunna be buying race gas everyday.

#25 ·
Also keep in mind guys the results on the dyno will vary from place to place. I'm in southern California at 711 ft above sea level. So it will be different from someone let's say at 7k ft. But on the bright side being closer to sea level we can all get a good idea on what the kit will make.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

#26 ·
It seems that Magnussen would have all those numbers (at wheel output of before and after fitment, same vehicle), for both the '07-'09 and for the '10-'14 system, as a natural result of their work to develop them. Maybe they can provide that information to clear it up.

I know that my '08 feels AWESOME with the SC, and I can tell from Super Slick's posts that he can feel the same kind of effect on his '14. All's we got to do is get Magnussen to share the numbers to help others to accurately grasp it at their desks.

N

#28 ·
It would seem that way or at least u would think they would put it, but unfortunately they dont. On my case that's y I had them dyno to establish a baseline before it was supercharged while I was away at Sema show. Yeah truck runs great that's for sure. I'm in direct communication with them since we are located very close to them and been working on this given we are the only fj w/ the supercharger as of now.

#32 ·
Oh, how people read the numbers so easily. Try building some type of forced induction, let's see how much it'll cost and how much power it will output, tune it and make it reliable. Oh and also, carb legal for for $5500 that Magnusson charges. Doesn't apply to everyone, but anyone in a Carb EO compliant state will love to keep it legal.

#33 ·
Yeah its definitely a big plus for all states with strict smog laws. The kit is very well built and execution on design layout was great. You getting great hp / tq gains and still able to use for on daily basis. On the dunes we were very content with the added power.

#37 ·
Your very welcome. Haha yeah we already have a pretty long order list compiled of guys that want it through on the other fj forum and IG. It was a long wait on the supercharger for the newer year fjcs but it finally came. For us in California ( I include my self even though I have it already) will have to wait practically till the end of December for them to be released.

#38 · (Edited)
Our gaurd dog supervising the install making sure we torqued everything lol...........

guys make sure u have or buy a torque wrench 3/4 & 1/2 if your installing yourself. Lots of bolts that could be easily over torqued on this kit. Also an impact gun battery or neumatic with at least 500lbs torque to remove the crank pulley bolt. We used a double hammer 800lbs neumatic gun to removed it. And if it doesn't come off on first try, don't ride that gun trigger lol. Give it short Burts.

#39 ·
Our gaurd dog supervising the install making sure we torqued everything lol...........

guys make sure u have or buy a torque wrench 3/4 & 1/2 if your installing yourself. Lots of bolts that could be easily over torqued on this kit. Also an impact gun battery or neumatic with at least 500lbs torque to remove the crank pulley bolt.

You read that right, shade tree guys, so don't be using that other unapproved method. >:D

#41 · (Edited)
OK for my OCD little brain, I had to bring this altogether in one post. Here is what I am seeing based on what has been posted in this thread and only using figures as reported by others (not by me):

Horsepower / Torque (ft/lbs)
  • Stock '10-'14 FJ * 259 / 270
  • SuperSiick's Stock '14 FJ ** 193 / 197
  • SuperSiicks '14 FJ w Magnuson SC # 286 / 270

Net Increase (HP / Ft Lbs) 93 / 73
    % Increase 48% / 37%

Notes:
* Measured at Crankshaft and provided by Toyota in various literature
** Baseline HP and Torque as measured at rear wheels on dyno. This equates to approx a 25.5% drop in HP and 27.0% drop in torque from crankshaft rating specs due to driveline drag, different temperature, gasoline octane, different elevation, different humidity, etc. from when measured by Toyota for publication.
# Improved HP and Torque as measured at rear wheels on dyno using new Magnuson SC and Bully Dog Tuner. Standard pulley size.

SuperSiick let me know if I didnt capture correctly. For comparison purposes I used the Baseline HP and Torque at rear wheels for calculating the % increases

#42 ·
OK for my OCD little brain, I had to bring this altogether in one post. Here is what I am seeing based on what has been posted in this thread and only using figures as reported by others (not by me):

Horsepower / Torque (ft/lbs)

Stock '10-'14 FJ* 259 / 270

SuperSiick's Stock '14 FJ** 193 / 197
SuperSiicks '14 FJ w Magnuson SC# 286 / 270
Net Increase (HP / Ft Lbs) 93 / 73
% Increase 48% / 37%

Notes:
* Measured at Crankshaft and provided by Toyota in various literature
** Measured at rear wheels on dyno. This equates to approx a 25.5% drop in HP and 27.0% drop in torque from crankshaft rating specs due to driveline drag, different temperature, gasoline octane, different elevation, different humidity, etc. from when measured by Toyota for publication.
# Measured at rear wheels on dyno with new Magnuson SC and Bully Dog Tuner. Standard pulley size.
Ok, now reverse engineer the math back to the flywheel. >:D

#43 ·
@SilvFx i dont mean to get u all mixed up but just proving as much info as i can. Now on the Dyno Dynamics dyno we came in at 301rwhp 293 rwtq. So you guys can expect good numbers on this kit. Overall it was consistent. Numbers can be expected to be in the high 2's low 3's at least in low altitude environments

#44 ·
OK....but what was the baseline HP/Torque as measured on the Dyno Dynamics dyno?

The other thing that I think we be VERY useful is the HP and Torque curves from idle to 5500 RPM for baseline vs. modified that way people can see the difference in power all along the power curve. Any idea if you have that data?

#48 ·
With my SC on my MT '08, I feel like the truck is now geared a little bit too low, with all the power it now has. Often, I start out in 2nd gear, and rarely change down below 3rd when cruising around slow corners / yield intersections.

Have sort of wondered what it would be like to fit the taller AT diff gears to drop the rpms at 80mph and get a little bit of my mpg back! (went from 16~17mpg down to 15 or so, after fitting the SC).

N

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.