Increase Gas Milage - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Increase Gas Milage

What is the best way to make improvements to gas milage. Seems like air in and exhaust out. I looked at different air intakes which claim to add 2 miles per gallon and looked at headers and exhaust systems that also make that same claim. Anybody with experience in these areas care to share? Have 2013TT - thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Re: Increase Gas Milage

Easiest way to improve fuel mileage is make the FJ weigh less. Anything not needed must be taken out. Spare seats, spare tire, tools, change, flashlights, recovery straps, blankets, floor mats!

>>>>>>>>>>2010armygreens slow build<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>ArmyGreens M416 Build<<<<<<<<

Garage
2010 FJ Army Green
2014 FJ Iceberg
M416 Trailer
Maggiolina Grand Tour Roof Top Tent
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:57 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Hard to do considering we drive the least aerodynamic vehicles on the road. Its like running in the wind with a sheet of plywood in your hand.

I've heard some good and bad about air intake changeovers same goes for exhaust change.

in my opinion just reduce weight as much as possible get street tire and not off road tires keep windows up and dont hammer the pedal down

So basically dont do all the fun stuff and save a few bucks and live it up and fill it up when needed

Myth-busters did a whole episode on this one time using exact model car and exact amount of fuel with multiple different scenarios

End results very minimal difference + or - 10%
Sanderhawk and debFJVT like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Admin

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

The money you spend on the mods to increase your fuel economy (intake/exhaust) would negate the fuel savings... or at least take forever to recoup your money.

I added a couple rotopax to my rear bumper to increase range... rather than trying to increase mpg.

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 01:50 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

What others have said and ADD issue of tire pressure. If you're driving on hwy, add a few pounds, I run 45 lbs in E KO's. Important to check pressure regular, more often with larger swings in temperatures, don't rely on TPMS as it only advises when pressures are way low!
Don't forget to check pressure on back spare, as most do not! Tire pressure info on inside of door is meaningless if you don't have original stock OEM tire size and rating.
John8 likes this.

busterfuzz
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)

Quote:
Chefed814 previously said: View Post
What is the best way to make improvements to gas milage. Seems like air in and exhaust out. I looked at different air intakes which claim to add 2 miles per gallon and looked at headers and exhaust systems that also make that same claim. Anybody with experience in these areas care to share? Have 2013TT - thanks
The fastest, most effective and least-expensive way to get a measurable increase in fuel economy is to add a real-time display of instantaneous fuel consumption; this will help you (or force you) to modify your driving habits to maximize fuel economy.

Once you have this info in front of you, you will be shocked to see how little throttle opening/load is required to push fuel consumption into the single-digit zone.

The easiest way to get real-time fuel consumption data is to use a little OBD-II bluetooth dongle ($25) plugged into your OBD port under the dash, and any Android device (old cell phone, little tablet, big tablet, etc.) running the Torque Pro app ($5). Aside from instantaneous and long-term fuel consumption, you can display coolant temperature, transmission temperature, air-fuel ratio, battery voltage, timing advance, vehicle speed, exact engine RPM, GPS coordinates, and scores of other useful data.

This will help you determine which gear your should be in vs engine load (climbing a grade, etc.), and also accurately evaluate changes in tire pressure, etc. that can have a measurable effect on fuel consumption.

I started out running Torque on my cell phone, immediately saw what a valuable tool this was, and quickly upgraded to a 7" tablet, and finally to a 10" tablet.

(The photo shows a 7" Samsung tablet sitting against the dash-top gage cluster. It's showing an instantaneous fuel consumption of 255 MPG because the engine is in complete fuel-shutoff mode while coasting to a stop with closed throttle.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tablet and Torque Pro.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	1039861  

Last edited by FJtest; 05-15-2018 at 02:00 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 06:31 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

The FJ is a thirsty vehicle. If fuel economy is a priority you need to trade-in for something else. Free flowing intakes and exhaust can slightly increase Engine Performance but not Fuel Economy during normal driving. Aftermarket tuners that advertise increased fuel economy are leaning out the AFR and potentially causing a hazardous condition. As FJtest stated, the biggest impact on fuel economy is changing your driving habits, but where's the fun in that.

Keep your FJ tuned, Keep the tires properly inflated, and Keep you're foot out of it.
101Firedog likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage

I been driving my FJ for almost 10 year this coming June. It's my daily driver and approaching 173k miles on her. I am still 100% stock with the exception, K&N filter, front Bilstein 5100 on 2nd notch, running 267 75R 16 AT tires, oil changes with Mobil 1 engine every 5k miles, front/rear axle and transfer case oil change with Mobil 1 gear oil every 30k miles and change transmission oil pan and drain, every 10k miles with only Toyota WS ATF. I drive about 85% highway speed and 15% local I average no less than 20 mpg in the winter and up to 23 mpg in the summer.
Scandal929 likes this.

2008 Toyota FJ
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
1971 Buick GS350 4 speed (62K miles)
1972 Buick GS455 Auto (223k miles)
2004 GTO W40 (3K miles) SOLD 12-1-2012

Last edited by 71gs3504sp; 05-15-2018 at 10:12 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
dmark4u previously said: View Post
Hard to do considering we drive the least aerodynamic vehicles on the road. Its like running in the wind with a sheet of plywood in your hand.
This is the truth. Its a giant brick, Don't buy the FJ if you want MPG. Buy it if you want to have the most fun you can have offroading
Winterpeg, palsent and 101Firedog like this.

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 10:23 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)

Quote:
Chefed814 previously said: View Post
You didn't state if your '13 had a manual or an automatic transmission, but the full-time 4WD system on the manual transmission models gets about 2MPG less than the auto. The EPA fuel consumption ratings for the 2013 4WD models (over the EPA test cycle) were 17 city/20 highway for the automatics and 15/18 for the manuals.

With conservative driving habits you can easily beat the EPA test cycle numbers in real-world driving, but most of the mods typical FJ enthusiasts will add will do nothing but increase fuel consumption through increased aerodynamic drag, increased weight, and increased rolling resistance.

Also, the '07-'09 models used the single VVTi version of the 4.0L engine, while the '10 - '14 models used the slightly more powerful but also more fuel efficient dual-VVTi engine. All other factors remaining constant, the later models generally achieve better fuel consumption numbers.
amaclach likes this.

Last edited by FJtest; 05-15-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in