New Magnaflow Shorties w Cats - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: New Magnaflow Shorties w Cats

I agree with the idea not to heat the studs too much. So far I have 8 of the twelve that have "cooperated" so 4 are going to "problem" children. I might just weld new nuts onto the part of the stud that is exposed. I am having some trouble replacing my old rented oxy/act tanks, but I have MIG and TIG welders available. Stay tuned....

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
I have used the torch method many times, but I'm a little leery to recommend it on an open forum for use in an engine bay. I've seen it "go wrong" for others several times when someone only focuses on the tip of the flame, and is not watching something else 8 inches away.

Actually there is no need to heat the nut cherry red to expand it sufficiently to break it loose, even if severely corroded. Brush a little engine oil on it, then heat THE NUT ONLY gradually with a pinpoint propane torch. Every 15 seconds move the flame off the nut, and see how the oil is smoking. As soon as it is REALLY generating white smoke, it is around 500F, is well-expanded, and ready to try removal. Work quickly, and you won't substantially heat up your socket if you dump the nut out as soon as it is off the stud.

Heating the stud any more than the minimum required to remove the nut is a bad idea as these are typically higher tensile strength, heat treated fasteners. Heating them visibly red hot anneals them and substantially softens them.
ZoSoIV likes this.

Tá m'árthach foluaineach lán d'eascanna!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 06:57 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)

Quote:
MajorMiner previously said: View Post
Does that kit have manifolds included? If not you won't need to go through the wonderful experience I am...!
this kit does not have manifolds or headers included , my understanding is headers don't help our trucks that much if any , anyone else have an opinion on that ?
Lee44 likes this.

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

I need to replace my original manifolds as you can see in my initial post. If you can salvage your original manifolds you will be better off. I can't so these MF shorties are a good answer hopefully. I have read a number of posts here about error codes showing up after deleting a set of CATS. I don't want to go through that but we will have to see how these perform.

Quote:
ZoSoIV previously said: View Post
this kit does not have manifolds or headers included , my understanding is headers don't help our trucks that much if any , anyone else have an opinion on that ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Forum Superstar

Ok yeah makes since ... this kit I’m looking at deletes the front cats and is setup not to throw any codes ...so this setup would be an option with long tube headers also

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Ok, so far no broken studs. I have one side complete (new studs and nuts) with ALOT of high temp nickel anti-seize. I can't have my FJ down for too long as it is my daily driver so I am replacing things a little at a time. First studs and nuts then the shorty headers. I am still trying to decide what I want to do for the CAT back section, so it may take some time to get to the headers. Any suggestions for CAT back? I have had some success on the other side as you can see by what's left of the new parts, only four studs to go. I used one new nut on an old stud. Wow getting a MIG torch in next to the manifold and then pulling the trigger was definitely no fun. I have a lift so it did make things easier. I snaked the torch handle down from the top and then grabbed it through the wheel well after raising the FJ so I could work next to the shock tower. Lot's of hard work but so far so good. The hardest one was behind the alternator. I am guessing I have about six hours into these replacements and another couple hours to go. I can see why shops would charge so much to replace manifolds. The main problem with the rusted hardware is that the nuts are no longer 12mm so it has been a chore trying to find the correct socket to fit. Most were 11mm but a few were in between 11 & 10mm so the nuts got rounded off. The torque to break these loose was probably close to 50 ft lbs (two foot wrench with 25 lbs applied) so if the socket wasn't right, around it would go. Below is the carnage....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180810_191922.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	1049986  
jamesepoop likes this.

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Forum Superstar

Yeah those as bad but I’ve seen worse , bolts coming out look in fairly good shape at least , let us know when you finish up

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 07:52 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

@ZoSoIV IMHO I don't care for tube headers either. I've not had good experience with them. In the day, not recently and not on the FJ.
Leaking, fit, noisy. Maybe now better material, workmanship, flanges etc ??

@MajorMinor I have URD Stainless 3″ Mark3 Exhaust. $589.00 price is from URD website. Nice sound on my FJ, no droning. Tucked up.

https://www.urdusa.com/urd-stainless...iser-2007-2014

I recently helped grandson with headers on his Corolla (please don't ask). Under hood temp too high. Had them coated inside and out. Really helped. If only the FJ was so easy to work on. They fit like crap but hey I'm an old guy what do I know.

edit: I will add the Corolla headers were cheap! I wouldn't use the term inexpensive. Cost more for the coating than the headers. With help from the shop, got them modified a little so fit wasn't so bad.

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

Last edited by Lee44; 08-11-2018 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Because I can't remember what I started to type.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 06:50 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 129 Post(s)

So in my past experience with long and short tube headers, shorty headers only gave about 20hp increase. Balanced with low speeds and increased underhood temps and possible reliability issues, is it worth it?

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Drcoffee previously said: View Post
So in my past experience with long and short tube headers, shorty headers only gave about 20hp increase. Balanced with low speeds and increased underhood temps and possible reliability issues, is it worth it?
On a 383 Stroker yes on a 4.0 liter probably not
CabinCruiser likes this.

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Drcoffee previously said: View Post
Wow 20hp that would be great. I am not too sure what you mean by reliability issues? I am having these coated with cerakote this week for the under hood temps. Just a note that I am not looking for a performance upgrade with these headers, that's not why I bought them. These are stainless steel so I am hoping that they won't rust as bad the original mild steel and they have the CAT already welded to them. I am looking to replace my rusted original manifolds that's it. I have never been in a situation with my FJ that I thought it was under powered, it has performed perfectly for the 11 years I have owned it.
bazross likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in