Code P0302 caused by chewed wires - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Code P0302 caused by chewed wires

I have a 2007 TRD that started idling rough and threw code P0302 (Cylinder Misfire on #2). First thing I did was change the plugs since it was overdue anyway. That didn't help so I switched the coil pack between Cylinder #2 and #4 . The misfiring cylinder stayed with #2 so I started digging and found that wires for the injector on cylinder 2 had been chewed clean in half and there was evidence of rodents. See attached pic.

I bought a new injector harness connector and spliced it in place and figured that would address the issue, but it didn't and the code keeps returning and its idling just as rough. I suspected maybe the injector was affected by a short somehow so I switched the injector between #2 and #4 and the misfire stays with #2 . I thought maybe I spliced the wires wrong, but I checked, double checked and triple checked and its right. At this point I am out of ideas. My concern now is that maybe the computer (or whatever drives the signal for the injectors could have been damaged by a a short). I know from experience insurance should cover it since I had a rodent issue with my Tundra 5 years ago and they covered replacing the entire wiring harness, but I really didn't want to go that route. Yes, I really need a . Anyone have any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181125_173915.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	1060232  

Last edited by joeberg; 11-26-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 03:57 PM
pop
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Re: Code P0302 caused by chewed wires

Had the same thing happen. Fuukin rats ate the wires at the connectors. Go back and inspect the wiring from where you spliced in. They love chewing on the plastic and did it in many places. Use a good light and look very carefully. Hey what was the injector harness part number ?

Last edited by pop; 11-27-2018 at 07:25 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Most all part stores carry it. The one I got was below:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...Injector&pos=4
Quote:
pop previously said: View Post
Had the same thing happen. Fuukin rats ate the wires at the connectors. Go back and inspect the wiring from where you spliced in. They love chewing on the plastic and did it in many places. Use a good light and look very carefully. Hey what was the injector harness part number ?
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 06:08 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

We had a similar experience recently. Visible damage to the wiring harness by pack rats. I kept splicing, got more codes, spliced more. The worst of what I did repair was a harness on the back of the engine, just above the transmission - impossible to see the chewed ends without a scope. I was able to trace the wires back to where the main harness leaves the firewall and splice in new wires. Still had codes.

I finally gave up and called insurance.

A take-down by the shop revealed chewed wires under the intake manifold. $5500 in repairs. Insurance paid all, less $15 for an unrelated license light and the $500 deductible. We have taken several days of rough off-road driving, and we are pleased with the integrity of the repair.

Matt B
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I checked my wiring again on top of the engine and it seems fine. I haven't looked beyond that yet, since the only code I have gotten is P0302. I did check the impedance between the injector connector on #2 cylinder and it reads at 1.5KOhms. All the other connectors read 10MOhms or higher which is a huge difference. Due to the low resistance on the connector, I believe the computer or whatever is driving the signal to the injector may be affected. My insurance deductible is $1000 I believe, so I will have to weigh that against insurance. Researching computer replacement options now.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in