Rough Start and stalling...Fuel Pump? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rough Start and stalling...Fuel Pump?

So here's the story. Early in the week I got a code for p0101 MAF sensor along with the engine surging when I would try and take off from a light. I cleaned MAF disconnected battery and let it sit for a few hours. Came back and test drove again. Starts up fine but when trying to take off from a stop or even at higher RPMs the engine wouldn't have the power it was supposed to. So drove around some more to get some more codes. P0101 came back along with p0171 and p0174 telling me both banks running lean. I then switched out my MAF with another OEM MAF and had the same symptoms.

I have a bluetooth code reader and the Torque App on my head unit which allows me to see things real time. While driving I watched the air fuel ratio gauge and it would hover around 14.7 while on the gas but when I let off the pedal it would surge up to 18 and it would do the same when I floored the pedal. From researched i figured it was the fuel pump due to the engine running lean and not having power when the engine needed more fuel.

I pulled the fuel pump out of the tank noticed my strainer was filthy. I know the fuel pump is not serviceable in the FJ but I figured at this point what do i have to lose? Im sure anyone with these problems has came across the video with the two guys "exposing toyota non serviceable fuel pump" and changing out the strainer. I attempted that since strainers are fairly cheap and if it was that I knew I needed a new fuel pump. I replaced strainer with an aftermarket one that fit perfectly. I go for a test drive and I have the same symptoms. I know the strainer isn't the actual fuel pump filter but I figured if it would work just a little better It would point me to a fuel issue.

So a few days later I go out to start the FJ and the engine starts but then stalls. I attempt again and it does it again. After a few more tries the engine would run but then sputter down to about 300 Rpms then shoot up and then finally stall. I cannot get the Fj to stay running for more than 15 seconds. Im definitely getting fuel but it seems as though I'm not getting enough fuel. I then got a fault code (can't remember exactly) for Coil "D" which I found to be cylinder #4 . My guess is that my fuel pump is not sending the fuel needed. Is it possible the fuel pump to be partially bad? I have another one on the way and should be here tomorrow. I will install the new one and post update.

07 with about 140K miles spark plugs changed around 13K miles ago.

Things Ive replaced:
PCV Valve
Check all hoses going to intake
Switched out MAF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 05:43 PM
pop
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Re: Rough Start and stalling...Fuel Pump?

Check for rat damage. They like fuel injector wiring.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
pop previously said: View Post
Check for rat damage. They like fuel injector wiring.
Another idea that is running through my head. Will check tomorrow also.

07 Black Cherry FJ on 35s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Just an update Installed new fuel pump and it starts and runs. Stalled a few times on the first start up but I'm guessing it was from the lines filling up with gas from empty. After a test drive codes p0101 and p0174 and p0171 came back...Hoping it's because of the rough start up with new pump install if not ill be diagnosing more

07 Black Cherry FJ on 35s
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:14 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Fuel pressure regulator?
There is a way (as with all vehicles) to check the fuel pressure at the engine side.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in