Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Diesel swap?

41K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  land.crusher 
#1 ·
Hey new guy here,

I was thinking of doing a diesel swap on my newly acquired 2008 FJ. This might sound kind of outlandish but has anyone ever seen it done? Or would an LS3 make more sense... Thoughts?

#2 ·
There was/is a place in TX doing diesel swaps for like $25,000. There's a thread on the forum with someone doing a V8 swap. Don't remember if it was an LS or not. SDHQ out of AZ did a couple of V8 swaps.

#3 ·
I think that Cummins 2.8L diesel crate motor would be a cool swap. Saw SEMA Battle of the Builders list night on TV, one of the finalists was a Land Cruiser 76 with the Cummins swapped in.

But an LS swap would be cool too.

As to whether it "makes sense", well, neither swap would make sense financially, but it would be fun!

#4 ·
Here's the thread @BIGGUY was likely referring to.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/421154-5-3-ls-4l60e-atlas-fjc-swap.html

See post #105 for a video of the first version of his FJ. He has gone on to even further modify the FJ

The original poster @smithoffroad has incredible fabrication skills and was amazingly quick on his build. Plenty to read, but my take is that for an average joe it will be expensive unless you have similar fabrication and mechanical skills and have access to plenty of other low cost equipment.

Maybe smithoffroad learned enough from his swap that he might be willing to do one for you at somewhat reasonable cost.

#5 ·
The Toyota 2.5 & 3.0 (1KD-FTV & 2KD-FTV) diesels suck. The 4.0 v6 (1GR-FE) is a MUCH better engine.
The 4.5 v8 diesel (1VD-FTV) from LC70 & LC200 won't fit (I think, but if it did, it would be a worthy repower).
What would you hope to gain from diesel anyway apart from vast conversion expense, more smoke, more noise, less power?

If in doubt, jump on a plane to where they sell the Toyota Fortuner, which has both 1GR-FE and 2KD-FTV options - compare them, and agree that the diesel option sucks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Fortuner

Better just to stick a supercharger on the 1GR-FE if you want more power/torque.

An engine swap in an AT model would be a major challenge compared to an MT.

#27 ·
The Toyota 2.5 & 3.0 (1KD-FTV & 2KD-FTV) diesels suck. The 4.0 v6 (1GR-FE) is a MUCH better engine.
Well, I don’t know if they suck or not (despite they have some minor problems), but I’m not interested. Here is a lot of them around in Hilux and Land Cruiser. I’ve liked my 1GR-FE, especially supercharged after UCON woke it up.

#6 ·
You can get a used Chevy 5.3L pretty cheap compared to an LS crate motor, not the same power of course but it would work in the FJ pretty darn well.

#7 ·
I'll bypass my thoughts on the diesel. I've posted before, not a fan at all. If you just want a diesel to get a diesel then by all means go for it. But if you want more power (and possibly fuel economy), go naturally aspirated V8 gas motor. I would not do Toyota 5.7 or 4.7 either. 4.7 only makes a little bit more power than our 4.0's (but could bolt up to your transmission) and the 5.7 while do-able, your still limited on power without doing a supercharger IMO. Those who swap other Toyota motors in Tacomas usually end up with the dash cobbled together. Works ok in a 4runner/taco but not your FJ. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/06-tacoma-with-4-7-v8.538150/

The only viable swap in my mind is an LS V8 of some sort. Preferably aluminum block from another truck, possibly an LS2 from a sports car. LS3's are $$ but make more power. The L92/94/9H 6.2 is a common swap for Jeeps. Get one from classified websites used for $5k from a wrecked Escalade etc.. (deals can be had if your patient) including a transmission designed for that power level and add headers, offroad cam and tune. You'll be making 450 wheel easy. You'll want to put in an Atas t-case to match the chevy trans. Say goodbye to A-trac and ABS since you need a new ECU.

If you don't want to go past 400 wheel or have a V8 sound, simply add a supercharger to your 4.0. You can push it to 400 wheel without too much effort on the URD kit.

#34 ·
I'll bypass my thoughts on the diesel. I've posted before, not a fan at all. If you just want a diesel to get a diesel then by all means go for it. But if you want more power (and possibly fuel economy), go naturally aspirated V8 gas motor. I would not do Toyota 5.7 or 4.7 either. 4.7 only makes a little bit more power than our 4.0's (but could bolt up to your transmission) and the 5.7 while do-able, your still limited on power without doing a supercharger IMO. Those who swap other Toyota motors in Tacomas usually end up with the dash cobbled together. Works ok in a 4runner/taco but not your FJ. 06 tacoma with 4.7 v8

The only viable swap in my mind is an LS V8 of some sort. Preferably aluminum block from another truck, possibly an LS2 from a sports car. LS3's are $$ but make more power. The L92/94/9H 6.2 is a common swap for Jeeps. Get one from classified websites used for $5k from a wrecked Escalade etc.. (deals can be had if your patient) including a transmission designed for that power level and add headers, offroad cam and tune. You'll be making 450 wheel easy. You'll want to put in an Atas t-case to match the chevy trans. Say goodbye to A-trac and ABS since you need a new ECU.

If you don't want to go past 400 wheel or have a V8 sound, simply add a supercharger to your 4.0. You can push it to 400 wheel without too much effort on the URD kit.
You obviously don’t know much about the 4.7 V8. The towing capacity is 2500 pound more. Horsepower Is achieved with less effort and the reliability is twice as much as the 4.0. If you wanted a V8, then check out the 4Runner limited with the V8. They are the same platform. But the 4Runner rides much nicer.

#8 ·
I have always thought the Toyota diesel swap would be cool. But I notice that the OP lives in Cali like me. The big problem is getting any conversion, be it diesel or V8, approved by the CARB referee. V8 you might get through.
You be better off importing an older series diesel from another state.
Just my 2 cents. :frown

#9 ·
There is the company that does a swap with this engine but I am with others on the idea that a larger gas powered V8 would be much better probably than a smaller diesel engine.\

#12 ·
There is the company that does a swap with this engine but I am with others on the idea that a larger gas powered V8 would be much better probably than a smaller diesel engine.\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4fjxea7QSo
This company is a fraud. My brother in-law did a diesel conversion thru them on his tundra with a Toyota 4.5 litre twin turbo Toyota Diesel engine has had nothing but problems. He spent $30 k on the transplant and has o spend another 30 k trying to fix the issues but no luck.

#14 ·
Well bear in mind that the LC70 is now 35 years old, you can import an old one and go to town on that, although the early '70s had a nasty, nasty naturally aspirated diesel...

#15 ·
One of the main reason one buys an FJ is that they are rock sold reliable.

If you put a non Toyota part on it, you’ve taken a step backwards.

If you want a diesel and reliability, get a diesel FJ. They exist, but you’ll have to import.

Our friendly Canadians, closest neighbors were sold diesel FJs.

If not, order Diesel engine from Japan and have it sent over. Those used engines have very few miles on them.

#18 ·
You are correct but also wrong.

In USA, no factory diesel FJ but in Canada you could purchase the older model FJ with the diesel option. I almost purchase an FJ diesel in Canada before the 2006 model was introduced. The FJ Cruiser was never introduced in North America with a diesel option.

In Japan & Australia yes.

My advice is to purchase a Japanese Diesel engine made for Japan, Europe, & Australia. You can get these from Japanese engine importers or off of eBay. The specific engine model is the 1KD-FTV.

I have purchased engines from Japan. All of them were in excellent condition with extremely low mileage and inexpensive.

#20 ·
I think Urban is getting years n models a little confused....but many do wish the FJC was optioned with a diesel

The original iconic 1950's-1980's FJ's had a diesel option
in 2010 when the FJC Down Under was released it never had a diesel option, in fact I am pretty sure world wide the the FJC was never offered with a diesel option, only the 1GR.
The FJC was never released in the EU either.

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

#28 ·
The original iconic 1950's-1980's FJ's had a diesel option
Yes, but they are called BJ’s then. I have one.
in 2010 when the FJC Down Under was released it never had a diesel option, in fact I am pretty sure world wide the the FJC was never offered with a diesel option, only the 1GR.
The FJC was never released in the EU either.
Right x2.

#26 ·
Confirming there was never a FJ Cruiser with a diesel option offered or sold in Canada.

If there had been rest assured that the members here would have created countless threads re purchasing, importing etc (we're nerds like that)

Reactions: bazross
#29 ·
Amaclach, you are correct that there were no “FJ CRUISERS” that had Diesel engines.

However, I said FJ and those models before FJ CRUISERS did have diesels.

There is a new Diesel engine made by Toyota, which can be dropped in any FJ CRUISER. I would trust Toyota with any engine they produce because their engines last, and last and last.

If you read my earlier post I mention the engine model.

#30 ·
If you don't specifically state FJ40 on an FJ Cruiser forum.... it's assumed you are referring to the (site specific) FJ Cruiser :D

:cheers:

#31 ·
I thought old 40s with a Diesel engine were BJ40s and not FJ40s.

#32 ·
Correct.

The Toyota Land Cruiser BJ40 is a famously tough 4×4 that bears close resemblance to its sibling, the petrol-powered FJ40. ... The primary difference between the FJ40 and the BJ40 is the engine, the FJ is a petrol engine and the BJ runs on diesel.

#41 ·
It’s not the number of cylinders, it’s the displacement. We had a ships generator that we used 5gal paint cans to put in the cylinders to stop stuff from falling in while rebuilding the heads and turbos.

When those suckers (yes,we had more than one) fired up, the entire ship knew it. Some joker decided to skimp in the dampness to make it MilSpec compliant. Slept over that bastard for three years.

#42 ·
Reducing it to the ridiculous is so juvenile. Of course a 3 cyl won't cut it. Of course you need an engine producing enough power for the weight it is pulling. Go ahead and stick a 800 hp 950 ft-lb monster engine in your truck. Your tow rating will be the same as it was when the rig came from the factory. If you don't believe me, hook it up to a train and see see how that tow rating works out for you. <-- ha, there's another dumbass increasing things to the ridiculous...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.