V8 Swap? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
V8 Swap?

I have looked through many different threads about v8 swaps. The 5.7 v8 swap that seemed to fall off the grid, and I’ve seen the less-than-handful of LS swaps.

I know there are some guys on here who say “why more power” or “buy a tundra if you want a v8”, and “just supercharge the 4.0”. Now I am in no way going to say this will ever happen, but I am wondering what would be possible to do a v8 swap in the FJ, most likely a small block such as the 4.7 from the older 4runner or Tundra. I’ve heard the auto tranny is the same as in the FJ, and some other components too, and I know TRD did a v8 swap(I think this was a 4.7 as well) at SEMA a ways back and ran into some problems. What would be the necessary things needed to do to adapt the 4.7, or even the newer 4.6 into an FJC? I believe the 4.7 in the 4runner was 4x4 only, or at least the majority of them were 4x4, whereas the FJC with the auto tranny is a 4x2. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Please understand I am simply asking for information on the topic, not to be bombarded by comments stating how pointless it would be.

Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2395 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: V8 Swap?

The V8 4runner is one of the most underappreciated vehicles IMO. They started with the V8 in 03 and changed the V8 to VVTI in 05-09 and they make a little more power. The V8's can be 2WD or AWD/4WD and any package. All 4th gen 4runner transfer cases are similar to the MT FJC's with AWD ability. Their transmissions are practically identical to ours (not saying it will bolt in exactly, you know how that goes, there are probably tiny changes here and there). So from a power standpoint our FJC components can handle it.

I've said in the past that a Toyota V8 swap would not be worth it but honestly if you need a replacement engine or are looking to spend some dough it would not be that bad. I'd prefer an LS motor personally since the sky is the limit on those. My brother's V8 4runner sounds amazing and always gets slightly better MPG than my V6 FJ and he has larger tires. The 4.7 V8 also makes slightly more power and torque stock than a TRD supercharged FJ! After adding headers, MAF tune and full exhaust it gains another 60 ish all NA. From the factory the spec is 219 hp/261 tq at the wheels and its possible to bump it up to around 280/300 NA. I think adding a blower is pointless if your gonna swap the motor anyway but a little more power is available with the URD supercharger kit.

Of course the URD supercharger for the FJC makes some really good numbers as well.

You might look on tacomaworld for some more info, some of them have done the swap. Nobody has done it with an FJC that I'm aware of so therefore I doubt anyone on here really knows what exactly it would take. It only takes one, you can be the first and report back.
SilvFx likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:32 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)

"The 4.7 V8 also makes slightly more power and torque stock than a TRD supercharged FJ" - note the V8 number is at the flywheel and the S/C FJ number is at the back wheels, about a 20% difference there.
When using the same measuring methods, a S/C 4L V6 is just about the same hp, torque (and mpg) as the stock 4.7V8.

However, a supercharged V8 would be WAY more!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:55 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
nichankinson previously said: View Post
I believe the 4.7 in the 4runner was 4x4 only, or at least the majority of them were 4x4, whereas the FJC with the auto tranny is a 4x2.
Thanks all
G'Day Nic,
Most AT FJC are 4x4, only a few are 4x2.
Cheers
Baz
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 2395 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
norm356 previously said: View Post
"The 4.7 V8 also makes slightly more power and torque stock than a TRD supercharged FJ" - note the V8 number is at the flywheel and the S/C FJ number is at the back wheels, about a 20% difference there.
When using the same measuring methods, a S/C 4L V6 is just about the same hp, torque (and mpg) as the stock 4.7V8.
I remembered slightly wrong but in this case I believe I am close. TRD supercharged FJ's with no other power mods make about 240-250 at the wheels. Stock 2005-09 4.7 4runners make 220 at the wheels but more torque so its a wash. Especially considering the V8 4runner is AWD so therefore more drivetrain losses vs. the same motor in an FJC.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks to everyone for the great feedback.

Originally my plan, whenever I got the money (who knows when) was to put a blower on the v6. But, I’ve always loved the sound of a v8 and, despite the idea being rather split between FJC owners, I personally think a v8 would suit the FJ pretty well, especially considering I plan on going more toward a prerunner direction with the rest of my build, in which that extra power would be nice. I know the power gain from the stock 4.0 v6 to the stock 4.7 v8 is not alone worth the swap, but that’s when a supercharger, cam, and less restrictive exhaust/intake would probably make up big time, as you guys previously stated. I love the 4.0, and know it’s tried and true, but sometimes I do feel it’s underpowered, and as if it’s screaming to go faster than it actually can, especially when getting on the parkway. Have about 102k miles on my ‘10 FJC, so hopefully the 4.0 will last me long enough to decide what I’m doing, but as far as I know, it’s barely even broken in at this point LOL

Again, thanks for the replies, and whether or not I ever commit to doing something like a v8 swap, I’ll be sure to keep researching about it...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:49 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Maybe look at the XR Runner forum. I bet they have answers over there.
jamesepoop likes this.

2007 Voodoo Blue FJ
Instagram @fjcruza
  • Front: Bilstein 5100's, notch 1, Eibach 2" springs, Wheeler's 3/8" and 1/4" spacers.
  • Rear: Fox 2.0 shocks with 2" Toytec Superflex 2.0p springs.
  • Misc: Manual transmission, 285/70R17 Cooper ATP's.
  • Gear: Cabelas roof basket, All-Pro sliders, 130 Amp alternator, Metaltech hitch, 30” lightbar, 2 yellow fog lights.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:07 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Garage
Got me curious. 5.7L supercharged in a Xrunner bay. Looks at home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toyota-tacoma-x-runn-6_1552982724395.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	700.1 KB
ID:	1072340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190319-004121_eBay_1552982749709.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	626.8 KB
ID:	1072342  
amaclach, Thorn661 and FJCRUZA like this.

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said:
LEDLIYFJL: Live Every Day Like Its Your FJ's Last
Mad Maxxine Build - 2007 Fresco Silver Metallic
My Travels: http://www.downtownfotos.com
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:51 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

From all the attempts that have been made and the problems encountered trying to get separate systems to mesh into a functioning unit, IMO the only way to do a v-8 swap is an LS engine with a basic no frills, nanny free drive train.
Iconic_ likes this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
From all the attempts that have been made and the problems encountered trying to get separate systems to mesh into a functioning unit, IMO the only way to do a v-8 swap is an LS engine with a basic no frills, nanny free drive train.
True, I’ve been trying to see what problems TRD encountered when they did the 4.7 swap in the FJ SUT at SEMA a while back, but the page was taken down on the TRD website, and I’ve never been able to find engine bay shots.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in