Raptor ECU Flash - Page 32 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

825Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #311 of 383 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Raptor ECU Flash

Ok, so what's been happening?

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #312 of 383 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

G'Day,
Took Bozo out back this weekend towing the new pop top caravan ( weight approx 3000 lbs. )
To get out back, you go over the Blue Mountains behind Sydney ( they are really just some big hills ) to a max of about 5000ft and down onto the western table lands....
The tune made all the difference to tugging a medium weight van over the hills... under full load ... old Bozo just kept pulling with ease
the new shift points and torque really do match the weight and performance of the FJ.
I was a little surprised how well it held gear and speed without the usual (old) bog down effect.... to the point that it was holding 5th gear going up small inclines at the same rate of speed ...without the need to kick down. On longer n steeper inclines it did kick down (4th) and on one extreme climb I pulled it back the third and actually started to accelerate up the hill - with hardly any temp increase.....
On the way out I pretty much kept it in 4th and rpm at about 2200.... but on the way back left it in 5th the majority of the time and let it work its magic. Temps stayed much cooler this way....

I'm monitoring fuel consumption for the first time in years, and when I get some numbers, I'll post em up....but with 40 gallons on board - takes a while to need a refill.....

Cheers
Baz
ZerosFJ, amaclach, debFJVT and 5 others like this.
post #313 of 383 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:40 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 2816 Post(s)
Garage

I have the "hot" 98RON optimised tune, and I have to say that I like it. It took a few days for the ECU to adjust the timing to eliminate knock, but once that was done, all good.
No adverse effects, fuel economy about the same driving normally. When I get on it, I can see that it's thirst increases inline with the performance increase, which is fine.
Because I have a manual trans, I can say without any doubt that the improvement is not just a transmission remap.
IDFJ, bazross, ZerosFJ and 2 others like this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #314 of 383 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:46 AM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 3283 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
amaclach previously said: View Post
I have the "hot" 98RON optimised tune, and I have to say that I like it. It took a few days for the ECU to adjust the timing to eliminate knock, but once that was done, all good.
No adverse effects, fuel economy about the same driving normally. When I get on it, I can see that it's thirst increases inline with the performance increase, which is fine.
Because I have a manual trans, I can say without any doubt that the improvement is not just a transmission remap.
How exactly would you remap a manual? Hit your head on a cast iron frying pan a few times?
amaclach, DubstepPear and Lee44 like this.

"Silence is Golden......Duct Tape is Silver"

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017

Last edited by CabinCruiser; 06-10-2019 at 03:53 PM.
post #315 of 383 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Garage

I've had mine for about 10 days now but only made two trips. The first was a good distance but proved to be sitting in slow traffic for the most part so apart from the very noticeable gear shift changes there was little to report.

Even on clear roads it is very rare for me to 'Poke the Fire Breathing Dragon' within so I wasn't really expecting to see the power benefits. My run this weekend was a familiar route, cross country on our slow, twisting single lane, badly surfaced, road system. Here the additional mid range torque is noticeable and the shift is nice, I used to always drive these roads in 4 but now D is very acceptable.
IDFJ, bazross, amaclach and 4 others like this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #316 of 383 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:13 PM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 2816 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
CabinCruiser previously said: View Post
How exactly would you remap a manual? Hit your head on a cast iron frying pan few times?
smart ass
What I'm saying is that the improvement to the engine is significant - It may not be obvious to those with auto trans if gains come from the trans remap, the engine, or both.
ZerosFJ likes this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #317 of 383 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:51 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 3283 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
amaclach previously said: View Post
smart ass
What I'm saying is that the improvement to the engine is significant - It may not be obvious to those with auto trans if gains come from the trans remap, the engine, or both.
I remember @TrueGritCruzr tried one of those pedal commander things on his manual last year at Summit. He tried it the 1st day and returned it the second. I can't remember but I think he said that program messed with the throttle response too much and made things jerky or something. This might be a better option for him.
amaclach likes this.

"Silence is Golden......Duct Tape is Silver"

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
post #318 of 383 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:03 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 2514 Post(s)
Garage

Thanks for the reports guys. @bazross do you have 33's and 3.73's?
post #319 of 383 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
Thanks for the reports guys. @bazross do you have 33's and 3.73's?
G'Day Dev,
currently 32.5 inch or less - they are at the end of their life - going with a 33 next. and stock gears 3.73, yup...
cheers
Baz
Iconic_ likes this.
post #320 of 383 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:21 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via MSN to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Yahoo to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Skype™ to TrueGritCruzr

Quote:
CabinCruiser previously said: View Post
I remember @TrueGritCruzr tried one of those pedal commander things on his manual last year at Summit. He tried it the 1st day and returned it the second. I can't remember but I think he said that program messed with the throttle response too much and made things jerky or something. This might be a better option for him.

It was worse than that. It through a code and went into limp home mode right as I was heading out with a group to do Imogene. Canít remember the exact code but it had something to do with some instruction out of range or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ZerosFJ, amaclach and CabinCruiser like this.

Thanks,
Dan
KD0VVS

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in