Raptor ECU Flash - Page 44 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

1019Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #431 of 490 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1828 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Re: Raptor ECU Flash

Quote:
MP6989 previously said: View Post
Can Raptor tune just the Trans? Iím not really interested in a performance tune, just looking for the trans to be sorted out!!!!
G'Day MP,
I've been talking to Raptor, on your behalf....they would like to know why you don't want the engine tune upgrade?
They haven't considered a Transmission tune only....and are cautious that it would not work...the package works in unison ...the concern is the engine won't handle the extra performance of the transmission
Pricing would not be any difference as its the same work and effort....

From the look of your avatar, you have an 07-09 SVVTI ....

Personally, if your FJ has a standard 1GR engine ...i can't see why you would not want the extra power and low/mid range torque....and the new shift points and trans tune..
Cheers
Baz
amaclach, Iconic_ and MP6989 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #432 of 490 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
sdennie previously said: View Post
I'd be willing to buy a transmission only version as well. My only real complaint about the FJ is that it shifts like a dog. Would it interfere with my TRD supercharger re-flash or Unichip?
G'Day,
The challenge with having a TRD s/c....that never made it DU, Raptor have no hands on technical experience with the TRD s/c....
so tuning and matching the Raptor tune to the TRD s/c....is virgin territory....and not been done..
But it could be worth talking to them about it....for a long term improvement....

cheers
Baz
post #433 of 490 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
bazross previously said: View Post
G'Day,
The challenge with having a TRD s/c....that never made it DU, Raptor have no hands on technical experience with the TRD s/c....
so tuning and matching the Raptor tune to the TRD s/c....is virgin territory....and not been done..
But it could be worth talking to them about it....for a long term improvement....
Yeah, I read through the entire thread so I realize they can't do a supercharger tune. But, from what it sounded like, they are taking existing ECU firmware and modifying it. My hope was (and it's definitely a longshot) that they could take my TRD flashed firmware and only apply the tranmission mods to it. That way I could retain the TRD engine changes but get the fancy transmission changes.
bazross likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #434 of 490 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
G'Day MP,
I've been talking to Raptor, on your behalf....they would like to know why you don't want the engine tune upgrade?
They haven't considered a Transmission tune only....and are cautious that it would not work...the package works in unison ...the concern is the engine won't handle the extra performance of the transmission
Pricing would not be any difference as its the same work and effort....

From the look of your avatar, you have an 07-09 SVVTI ....

Personally, if your FJ has a standard 1GR engine ...i can't see why you would not want the extra power and low/mid range torque....and the new shift points and trans tune..
Cheers

Iíve modded every vehicle Iíve owned, I want t keep this one pretty tame and ultra reliable, we camp off grid a lot and most of the time by ourselves so keeping it reliable is Key for us... Thanks for the replies and legwork on this...
bazross likes this.

2007 Voodoo Blue, 34x10.50x17 BFG KO2 . 17x8.5 DV8 bronze wheels, Camburg UCA, SAW 2.5ís with 650lb springs and All Pro rear springs.
TRD exhaust, K&N drop in, DRL hack, LED reverse bulbs, Setrab trans cooler..
post #435 of 490 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:23 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Iíve modded every vehicle Iíve owned, I want t keep this one pretty tame and ultra reliable, we camp off grid a lot and most of the time by ourselves so keeping it reliable is Key for us... Thanks for the replies and legwork on this...
Well I guess the reliability is yet to be proven but I donít see that it should be any less reliable. Youíre not adding components that add stress or working outside of the design limits of the engine or transmission. OE vehicles are tuned for emissions and economy so their potential is constrained by these factors. In the old days of winding up pumps etc to squeeze more out yes you began to operate outside the parameters but not so much these days, just unlocking what's already there.

I donít drive for performance but do think the shift changes are to the benefit of the vehicle as well as the drive.
bazross, amaclach, debFJVT and 2 others like this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #436 of 490 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
G'Day MP,
glad to help....
to my knowledge there is only 1 SVVTI tuned FJ ..in the world...at the moment.. @debFJVT has it loaded with the engine tune / complete package.
Its chalk and cheese ..really...even with the SVVTI ...and totally reversible to stock....
Deb maybe able to throw more light on the tuned experience ....

I have also relayed the info to Raptor....

Cheers
Baz
post #437 of 490 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
sdennie previously said: View Post
Yeah, I read through the entire thread so I realize they can't do a supercharger tune. But, from what it sounded like, they are taking existing ECU firmware and modifying it. My hope was (and it's definitely a longshot) that they could take my TRD flashed firmware and only apply the tranmission mods to it. That way I could retain the TRD engine changes but get the fancy transmission changes.
G'Day SD,
I've passed your message onto Raptor, as well.... to see if anything can be done .... its way too technical for me to know....

Cheers
Baz
post #438 of 490 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:16 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 2209 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
G'Day MP,
glad to help....
to my knowledge there is only 1 SVVTI tuned FJ ..in the world...at the moment.. @debFJVT has it loaded with the engine tune / complete package.
Its chalk and cheese ..really...even with the SVVTI ...and totally reversible to stock....
Deb maybe able to throw more light on the tuned experience ....

I have also relayed the info to Raptor....

Cheers
Baz
Yes! Im in the middle of doing a write up and it will soon appear Have to say itís a wonderful mod - I really REALLY love it.....stay tuned!

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #439 of 490 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this, and a long term real world review..
bazross, amaclach and debFJVT like this.

2007 Voodoo Blue, 34x10.50x17 BFG KO2 . 17x8.5 DV8 bronze wheels, Camburg UCA, SAW 2.5ís with 650lb springs and All Pro rear springs.
TRD exhaust, K&N drop in, DRL hack, LED reverse bulbs, Setrab trans cooler..
post #440 of 490 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:14 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this, and a long term real world review..
I'll give you a review.
It's awesome. Buy it.
Oh - and it hasn't affected my long term MPG or reliability, or coolant temps in hot weather.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
debFJVT likes this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in