2007-2009 TRD Supercharger - Exhaust - CAI - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2007-2009 TRD Supercharger - Exhaust - CAI

I posted this in the FJ Cruiser group on FB but thought I'd bring it over here as there was a serious lack of information out there.

2008 TT at 100,300 miles with a TRD supercharger and TRD exhaust installed at 3000 miles by first owner. I'm adding the TRD CAI now and this is what I'm discussing below.

Several things worth mentioning.

1. The TRD install docs for the CAI are lacking to say the least.

2. Lean condition previously reported on here regarding the 2nd Gen TRD CAI with the TRD supercharger.

3. Both above I think are related and I'll explain below.

----
Removal of stock airbox assembly, except for the intake tube in the fender, is very simple and covered well enough in the docs.

1. Install docs mention removing 5 bolts to remove the inner fender. Nope, there are several of the plastic press in clips that need to come out and as most know they are a total pain in the arse. .80 ea from the dealer, go buy 5+ to have on hand, you will need them. Once those were removed (actually 4) I was able to peel the inner fender liner back enough to remove the rear bolt for the intake tube in the fender (which has to come out)...the front bolt was rusted and very hard to see but could get to it with a 1/4" drive and short extension. Unfortunately since it was rusted it seized and I couldn't see it as I was trying to unscrew it and I twisted the little mounting bracket... I lost my temper and went Hulk on it... and out tube came, the bushing pulled through. It's not going back in so the bolt and bushing stay in there. I would suggest jacking up the FJ and removing the wheel/tire to make life much easier.

2. The biggie in the install docs is the black intake tube between the airbox and throttle body. With the supercharger it's too long. The docs simply say if it's naturally aspirated the throttle body coupler (rubber tube with holes for nipples to attach crank case vent and vacuum hose to fuel pressure regulator?) should line up with the middle bead/ring...if supercharged the inner bead but then it will block off the holes for the nipples in the throttle body coupler. Not a word about cutting it to length as shown in the attached screen shot of the docs.

So.. I searched and searched on this, not a peep I could find on here or Google but did find this one YT vid about a lean code condition on the same setup in a Taco...remember the lean condition threads on here regarding the 2nd Gen CAI and TRD supercharger when you see this: https://youtu.be/TfMpeTdseMU

3. If you don't cut the tube down a bit then you block off the ports as referenced in the video and wala... lean condition. I suspect that many follow the TRD docs verbatim and this is what you get but that's my guess. It was such an obvious problem that I didn't want to cut until I read up a bit...can't glue it back on so. I cut it just to the driver's side of the middle bead on the tube and all was good.

Right now it idles at 14.7 stoichiometric but under WOT or close to it will drop to 12.18 or thereabouts. As I didn't take any before readings with Torque I can only observe what it is doing after the CAI install. I'd love to hear from some that have studied the CAI/stoichiometric conditions more on this. As I write this, no lean conditions to trigger a code/light.

Some discussion about the TRD CAI and lean conditions in general: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-installs.html

Thought I'd pass this along for any future TRD supercharger/CAI folks to reference.

I'll say this.. at about 90% throttle on my test drive I broke the rear tires loose... traction control engaged... at 40-45 MPH...which it didn't do before. I can hear the intake a bit more but it's drowned out by the SC whine...runs great... so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190420_141428.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	1076222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190420_120646.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	1076224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190420_114720.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	1076226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190420_132106.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	1076228  
FJTTSE and debFJVT like this.

Brad
Granbury, Texas

2008 FJ TT
TRD Supercharger - TRD CAI - TRD Exhaust
Bilstein 6112/5100/Icon 2"

Last edited by American; 04-20-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Re: 2007-2009 TRD Supercharger - Exhaust - CAI

I'm adding some gauges to Torque for Fuel Trim, long and short term, to see what I'm getting there and will report back later.

Brad
Granbury, Texas

2008 FJ TT
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)

IIRC TRD S/C install instructions said not to use the TRD CAI due to risk of running lean.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
norm356 previously said: View Post
IIRC TRD S/C install instructions said not to use the TRD CAI due to risk of running lean.
Not these... didn't say anything about it, read front to back many times. In fact, it references working with the TRD supercharger as noted above and referenced on the first page with notes.

I'm really wondering how many installed the CAI with a supercharger per the docs and didn't realize the tube was blocking the vacuum ports on the throttle body coupler which would most definitely cause the lean condition and codes.

Brad
Granbury, Texas

2008 FJ TT
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:22 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Issues sorted out. The OP is now known by his former username, American. His company name is not to be used. If you have those types of questions, use the PM/email.

Thread opened.
American likes this.

トヨタ

Last edited by Hannibal; 04-25-2019 at 10:48 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

As another follow up to some of the commentary here and in the blue room regarding lean conditions with the gen 2 TRD CAI with a supercharger:
----------
"FJTTSE previously said:
From xrunderground Gadget posted this(note highlighted text):
New TRD
FT idle +17.47 +19.24
FT 60 MPH +16.28 +18.58
AFR WOT Max RPM 12.8

aFe Stage 2 Si
FT idle +5.32 +6.28
FT 60 MPH +4.63 +5.73
AFR WOT Max RPM 10.5

Stock
FT idle +4.75 +5.25
FT 60 MPH +4.85 +5.15
AFR WOT Max RPM 10.7
-----------

So to follow up on this a bit more. I added the Fuel Trim (long term/short term) gauges to Torque and this, in general, is what I'm seeing:

FT idle +4.70 and as high as +5.25 but would settle to 4.7 as well.
FT 60 MPH +4.6 to +5.25
AFR WOT Max RPM 12.1

Obviously these numbers move around a bit without being on a steady dyno but using the Gen II CAI box on my 97k mile TRD supercharger doesn't seem to have the issues as reported above. Sure, my AFR at WOT is a touch higher but not in the 12.8 range like above and obviously FT is much lower all around... pretty much like stock.

I have a theory as I stated in my previous post above that people are reading the lousy TRD install docs and taking them literally in simply inserting the black plastic tube in the throttle body coupler without cutting it down...thereby blocking the vacuum ports which WILL give you a crazy lean condition for sure.
My setup is running perfectly best I can tell and the traction control is fighting wheelspin at 60 mph WOT.

Brad
Granbury, Texas

2008 FJ TT
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:29 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)

I have driven over 100k miles with 2nd gen TRD CAI without problems. Last 60k with TRD Supercharger.

Couple years ago I installed a honeycomb airflow straightener:

100 mm comb fit nicely to the airbox connection without any other supplies.

I think there is turbulence at MAF which cause some misreading. After the honeycomb installation I got about 2% better fuel trim readings.

And yes, I cut the duct shorter when I installed the supercharger.
American likes this.

2007 FJ Cruiser 6M/T CNG TRD Supercharged
My buildup thread

1981 Land Cruiser BJ42 Diesel (under progress)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

For grins I ordered up an AFE and I'll post more info in a bit but from my initial test drive I'm not seeing much difference, if any, from the Gen II TRD CAI. And yeah, you have to cut the tube on this one too. I cut about 1" but 3/4" would suffice, fyi. Lousy sun so lousy pics, I'll post up more later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190711_160536.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1085602  

Brad
Granbury, Texas

2008 FJ TT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

I didn't have to shorten the aFe tube, but I have an older version with the older type of couplings. I bought some replacements from aFe and they are like the ones you have. I decided not use use them because they were so different from the originals. I ended up buying some reinforced silicone couplings from Vibrant Performance which look more like the originals I have(but red) and will use them once the originals get too degraded.

American likes this.

Cris
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

See.. mine would have fit but with zero clearance...which is a bad idea with an engine moving around. While your tube looks roughly the same there could certainly be a difference.

I'm going to run it for a few days then see where the short and long term trims land. It seems to run better but I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Brad
Granbury, Texas

2008 FJ TT

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in