Engine Runs Rough after Engine & Traction Lights come on - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine Runs Rough after Engine & Traction Lights come on

When I start up my FJ the engine light comes on, after a couple of minutes of driving the three traction lights below it come on. After another five minutes of driving the engine starts to run rough and the Engine light starts to flash. Our non-Toyota mechanic said it was the rear end sensor and he told me I didn't need it so he disconnected it, but this did not solve the problem. It is still disconnected.

The Toyota dealer tells me that the 2007 does not have individual sensors for each side, just one in the middle for the rear.

It seems I can trick the computer by disconnecting both terminals of the battery and pulling the traction fuse out, putting it back in, then reconnecting the battery. But this only works until I turn the ignition off at the end of a journey, then I have to do it again.

Model GSJ 15L 2007 FJ

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:54 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Re: Engine Runs Rough after Engine & Traction Lights come on

One thing you didn't mention was what kind of code is being registered. That really should be understood way way way way way way before you start jumping things out. I'd would be a little cautious of letting anyone work on the thing who didn't recognize that. Without that information you're operating blind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dee823 likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)

The flashing check engine light means that that the ECU has detected what it thinks is a SERIOUS engine fault and that continuing to drive the vehicle may cause permanent engine damage: scored cylinder walls and pistons from a fuel injector stuck open, damaged main and rod bearings from fuel-diluted oil, burned valves from lean fuel mixture caused by a partially clogged fuel injector or a dying fuel pump, etc. Or just that the engine has a severe emissions problem that is beyond the range of adjustment that the ECU can provide.

It should be obvious that disconnecting the battery and hoping that will somehow "fix" a serious engine problem is wishful thinking, like hoping that putting on a new shirt will "fix" a gunshot wound.

Stop driving the vehicle, find someone competent to read the OBD codes, determine the root cause of the flashing CEL, and what corrective action is required.
Dee823 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Sparky of SoCal and FJtest, thanks. I've had the FJ to two different local garages, both did work on the motor, lots of $, and the problem not only persists, it is worse. I guess the next step is a dealership, which I dread, as I've had a really bad experience with them with my Matrix. I doubt they will provide me with a code.

Are there any resources that list go to people in different areas, mechanics who know the FJ Cruiser? I am in southern Ontario, the Kingston/Belleville area.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

You deffinitely need to get a code. Even if you go out and buy a cheap scan tool for $25 - $30.
I had another Toyota that had a 4 cylinder and it randomly dropped a cylinder when it warmed up. If I drove a short distance ( 5-10 miles or so or 10 minutes of running ) and turned the car off, it would have the issue when restarted. It began while sitting idling for a bit. It felt like the engine was off balance is the best I can describe it and it ran rough as hell with a bunch of lights on the dash lit. Sounded like a Subaru! Check engine, stability control and something else I cant remember that was totally unrelated to the issue.
I scanned it and it pointed to "misfire cylinder 4". I figured it was a coil and replaced the #4 cylinder coil. Problem solved!
Until the next day. The car did the same thing, Flashed the same lights. Read the same code.
I switched the #4 coil with the # 3 coil to eliminate a possible bad NEW coil. The issue did not move to #3 after clearing the codes with the scanner.
I talked to a buddy and we got our heads together and decided it had to be an injector on #4 .
I replaced the #4 injector and the issue never came back. It's my belief that the injector would work okay until it got some heat in it from idling or sitting after a short run without enough fuel running through it to "cool" it and because it was crapping the bed, it would "heat soak" ( my term for it ) and the injector would stick open or closed and cause the misfire. Twice I drove it with the issue short distances and really pissed off, caning the car hoping it would explode or get me to my destination and the issue would clear up with fuel flow or the injector cooling just enough not to stick.

So my guess with the little info provided is coil pack or injector.

Shops around here get about $100 to scan your car as a diagnosis over and above the repair cost. Think of the money you can save is it's something simple you can track down yourself or with the help of this forum.

Might be well worth your time to buy a cheap scanner and give it a go, even if it's to know what you may be up against with a mechanic if you decide it's not something you can repair yourself.

Keep us posted.

A funny side not on injectors:
When I asked my buddy ( a pro mechanic ) if he would get a reconditioned injector or new, he asked me a question. He asked what I was going to do with the intermittently bad injector. I said I would have to turn it in as a core. He said that should answer my my question of new or recon in this case, as they only clean, replace the seals and test low the turned in injectors briefly to see that they work and that the intermittent problem would come back and bite someone else in the a**. I bought new.
Dee823 likes this.

Last edited by i_m_2_sane; 04-24-2019 at 07:46 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

i_m_2_sane, thanks for the feedback. Choosing a scanner is an intimidating process! I looked on Amazon and there are dozens and dozens of them, so not really sure what would do the job for the least expense.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:08 AM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2002 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Dee823 previously said: View Post
Sparky of SoCal and FJtest, thanks. I've had the FJ to two different local garages, both did work on the motor, lots of $, and the problem not only persists, it is worse. I guess the next step is a dealership, which I dread, as I've had a really bad experience with them with my Matrix. I doubt they will provide me with a code.

Are there any resources that list go to people in different areas, mechanics who know the FJ Cruiser? I am in southern Ontario, the Kingston/Belleville area.
There’s a NAPA nearby, they usually have code readers as do most auto parts stores such as autozone or Oriellys that will run codes for you or let you use the code reader. The number to the Napa is +1 (613) 549-7020.

There’s definitely a major engine fault and the fact that neither shop could read the code and remedy the issue tells us they’re not very good shops at all.
SilvFx, cliffy and Dee823 like this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks Thorn661, I called Napa and they don't do read code here, but sell scanners for $100 plus.

Will this scanner work on the FJ Cruiser, 2007?

OBD2/OBDII Code Reader, TOPDON TD309 Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool Portable Automotive Obd2 Scanner for 9-18V car/SUV/Light Truck
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:11 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 2784 Post(s)
Garage

Get a BAFX OBDII dongle from Amazon and install the Torque app on your Android phone or tablet. https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...-1-spons&psc=1

This dongle required if you have iOS: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...-2-spons&psc=1

There are cheaper dongles out there, but these ones work perfectly with our FJs. Others not so much. Torque will give you not only the codes, but a description as well.
SilvFx, Thorn661 and Dee823 like this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:40 AM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 2002 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Dee823 previously said: View Post
Thanks Thorn661, I called Napa and they don't do read code here, but sell scanners for $100 plus.

Will this scanner work on the FJ Cruiser, 2007?

OBD2/OBDII Code Reader, TOPDON TD309 Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool Portable Automotive Obd2 Scanner for 9-18V car/SUV/Light Truck
@CabinCruiser will have a much better knowledge of these scanners than I will. Hell I’ve never used one to be honest! @amaclach has a really good option with the Torque App as well, wish it was IOS friendly.
Dee823 likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in